Island Princess

Quahog64

This past April my wife and I booked the Coral princess for an 11 day partial transient cruise of the Panama Canal.This is not a review but just stating facts.The ship is old and needs major work.Enough said.In 2016 will be taking a similar cruise on the Island Princess.Is the ship and food and better or am I in need of looking at a different cruise line.

This past April my wife and I booked the Coral princess for an 11 day partial transient cruise of the Panama Canal.This is not a review but just stating facts.The ship is old and needs major work.Enough said.In 2016 will be taking a similar cruise on the Island Princess.Is the ship and food and better or am I in need of looking at a different cruise line.

Food, activities, entertainment will be similar. If you had issues with these on the Coral Princess, you probably will have the same issues on the Island Princess. Both the Coral Princess and the Island Princess made their first voyage in 2003, 6 months apart. By cruise ship standards this is not 'old.' The Coral Princess had a major dry dock in Jan/Feb 2013. The Island Princess is scheduled for a 45 day dry dock in April/May 2015 where there will be a whole bunch of re-design including the addition of lots of new cabins by redesign of the Universe Lounge.

As an FYI.....

1. Island Princess and Coral Princess were specifically built to fit the existing Panama Canal. Hence they are Panamax vessels. Most recent ships (nearly all cruise lines) are "post-Panamax" and are too big for the current canal.

2. HAL, Celebrity and NCL offer PC cruises on ships that "fit". Whether they are newer or in better shape is subject to your research and personal opinion.

3. Food quality is very subjective and can vary ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line. It is a fact that ALL cruise lines have cut back on things in order to boost/maintain their bottom line.

Not enough said :confused:. What major work does the Coral need? We were on it 6 months before dry dock and thought it was in good shape then. I'm just wondering what has happened since dry dock?

I've found food can vary dramatically from ship to ship and cruise to cruise depending on the head chef. Writing off an entire line on the basis of one cruise seems drastic but at least there are lots of others to chose from.

I was on the Island Princess last month and did not notice any obvious wrecks or anything crumbling from old age. Internal maintenance is done daily so the interior of the ship is in acceptable condition.

The only old age issue I saw was on my balcony on Aloha Deck. The "ceiling" above which house the indoor pool area had some rust on it. But then again u dont spend time on balcony looking at the ceiling :D

A suggestion then if the Island is old and enough said.

It is quite easy to see how old a ship is before you go on one, perhaps you should concentrate your cruise dollars on newer large and modern vessels. Doing your homework pre-booking checking out the age, size, deck plans, and other recent review is always the best research for the dollar.

Choosing for age/size will limit your choices into the Panama canal, the Inside page and Glacier Bay and places like Venice, where that old decrepit ship is going post dry dock, but there seem to be many people who favor these ships, even prefer them.

Don't like a style or class of ship? The easiest fix is to not go on one then!

Wow ! We were on the Coral in March/April & thought the ship was in very good condition. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The food was great in our opinion but then again we're not all that fussy.

They were constantly working on the ship but that's common to all ships.

Just what did you fine so bad?

Better look at another cruise line......as stated the Coral and Island are identical with the Coral having the IC.

If you saw bad on the Coral you will see bad on the Island.

We have sailed both many times and we loved them. They are our favorite ships.

Better look at another cruise line......as stated the Coral and Island are identical with the Coral having the IC.

If you saw bad on the Coral you will see bad on the Island.

We have sailed both many times and we loved them. They are our favorite ships.

So, no IC on the Island?:(

Let me 2nd and 3rd some of the above. IMO these are the finest Princess has. We were on the Coral this year and the Island last year. They are lovely ships with excellent food and entertainment, although I don't care for 30 min shows, never crowded, etc.

You know we fly on airplanes older than either of these ships.

You perhaps should peddle down the road to a newer, more crowded ship with lots and bells and whatever. JMO.:eek:

Our group sailed the Coral in March and loved it. Saw a little wear here and there but to be honest the only time something is brand new is the day it's installed. After that it is no longer "new". Was it shiny new? No. Was it a rust bucket? No. Was it clean and cared for? Yes. I saw no stained carpets or furniture, nothing falling apart, everything clean and orderly.

I thought the crew was one of the friendliest we have ever had at sea. They seemed more relaxed and willing to take time to talk. Smaller ship with an experienced crew on longer voyages means less new passengers to run you ragged. I could really tell the difference from our previous Princess cruises.

Our group wants to do Alaska and everyone would be eager to be back on the Coral or Island as they liked the size and layout. We will choose for itinerary when the time comes but we sure are hoping it's the Coral or Island.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I don't want someone thinking of sailing on the Coral to think it's old and run down. Perhaps you are best sticking to the newest ships but then it will limit where you can sail.

Island Princess April/14. Loved it! A few gripes, but a very likeable ship. Crew was fantastic. Ships shape was great. Never felt crowded. Will be anxious to sail her again after the upcoming dry dock.

The Grands next for us. We'll have to see how we like this "old ship"

Tim

We were on the Coral in February 2014 for the 11 day partial transit Panama Canal cruise. We were very pleased with the ship, the food, entertainment, service, etc. However, as someone else also remarked, we are not overly fussy.

I thought the crew was one of the friendliest we have ever had at sea. They seemed more relaxed and willing to take time to talk. Smaller ship with an experienced crew on longer voyages means less new passengers to run you ragged. I could really tell the difference from our previous Princess cruises.

I only wish I can run across some of the same guys on another ship some day. They were among the best & friendliest we've ever encountered. All the way from the Capt. (now retired) & his wife, the Capt. circle host, bartenders & the assistant waiters in the Horizon- they all couldn't do enough for the passengers without being asked.

We have sailed the Island Princess twice in the last two years and found her to be incredible in all regard. Great service, terrific food, lovely entertainment, and comfortable cabins. We have a third trip aboard her booked for next year as well and cannot wait!!

This is not a review but just stating facts.The ship is old and needs major work.Enough said.

It would be nice if the OP would return to elaborate on the above quote. Comments from most others suggest that the Coral is in much better shape than Quahog64's opinion.

Will be in the Coral Nov 9-20 for the Panama Canal partial transit.

We did full transit on Island last Christmas / New Year.

We were a little concerned that we knew that Coral had had her refit and Island was still waiting for her refit, but any fears were, for us, unfounded. We thought she was a wonderful ship, but that is just our opinion.

However,

I don't believe that Island is due to get her refit until 2015, and so, if the OP didn't like Coral post refit, then they certainly won't like Island.

Sorry if this is bad news for the OP, but, looking on the bright side, it is good news for those of who think they are wonderful ships as the more folks who feel the way the OP does, the more likely it is that the pricing policy will mean that they will continue to offer, what is in our opinion, excellent value for money.

Each to his own, but, given that the OP is not going to enjoy Island or Coral, the problem he/she actually has is finding either something to his/her taste which will fit through the existing locks, or waiting until the expansion has been completed.

In our case the opposite is the case and we're just hoping that these lovely Panmax ships will continue to operate through the canal after the expansion is completed as we don't like the big ships.

Edited by Corfe Mixture