No More Staff Sining in MDR???

Off Allure yesterday and definitely no singing in the MDR. We ate there every night, however, they were dancing/singing in Johnny Rockets...

Woohoo!! I liked the singing and dancing in JR!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thankfully its gone. Never could understand why on a billion dollar ship they had a poor PA system and an even worse copy of the music. That music must have been copied over and over to the point of being nearly unintelligible.

Yes. I don't get it either. Ships with hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions of dollars, worth of high end A/V equipment and in the dining room the singing wait staff is given what sounds like a thrice bootlegged tape played over a radio shack childrens kit.

I do like when they present the staff for everyone to applaud; the chefs and head waiters, etc, and note how many nationalities are on staff.

I don't care for the singing, bad music, napkin twirling, etc.

Edited by LMaxwell

Yes. I don't get it either. Ships with hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions of dollars, worth of high end A/V equipment and in the dining room the singing wait staff is given what sounds like a thrice bootlegged tape played over a radio shack childrens kit.

I do like when they present the staff for everyone to applaud; the chefs and head waiters, etc, and note how many nationalities are on staff.

I don't care for the singing, bad music, napkin twirling, etc.

You may have summed it for me. On Jewel, we were right under a very lousy sounding speaker that was cranked up and of course everyone at our table, not by choice had to stop all conversations. I do like hearing from the Culinary crew on the last days, I do appreciate their work. I'm struggling to think back to my two Allure Cruises which were surrounded by 2 Majesty cruises and 2 Jewel cruises to remember if the sound was any better :D

I never minded the singing part until my last Jewel cruise because I saw my waiter put down trays and join in while we were still waiting for our dinner. (We were the last served every night)

Really? Also, do you know what the word "critic" means? I'd say no from your use of the word. We've never thought it was entertaining, but that doesn't mean you have to think the same way. It's an opinion.

Sorry, I have to say that I think they know exactly what the word means. One of the definitions is:

one given to harsh or captious judgment.

That definition fits with their statement exactly. And it also seems to me that they were saying the same thing that you are, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And while others may disagree with an opinion because it is different than theirs, I believe an opinion cannot be wrong. It may be ill-formed but it is never wrong. And that is just my opinion.

I thought maybe this was a mathematical thread [no more sining, but perhaps a bit of cosining or tangenting].

As this was my first time ever as an OP, I will never live down this typo!!! OMG, LOL

Add me to the list of people who want the singing to stop.

As for the typo, Reese, it always amazes me that people will carp at a typo, and yet clearly understand the meaning of what was written. So how exactly is a typo a problem?

As for the typo, Reese, it always amazes me that people will carp at a typo, and yet clearly understand the meaning of what was written. So how exactly is a typo a problem?

I tihnk its alraedy been prvoen taht the midlde letetrs of wrods can be colmpetlely rerarnaegd and sitll be pefrcetly lgebile. :D

...it always amazes me that people will carp at a typo, and yet clearly understand the meaning of what was written...
At least in this thread I don't think people were carping at the typo or trying to make fun of the poster; we were enjoying the typo!:p
I thought maybe this was a mathematical thread [no more sining, but perhaps a bit of cosining or tangenting].
You can always count on someone on Cruise Critic to go off on tangents. The crew however is too busy analyzing their ten dimensional vector space problems to spend time on tangents. But I always have theories to string things together:cool:

Thom

"Staff sining" - trigonometry in the dining room? Wow! sining, cosining, tangenting!

Oh, probably a typo (thought I, disappointedly)! Maybe it was supposed to be "sinning" - again Wow! Sins of ommission (not disclosing to a vegan that the pasta dish is prepared with some butter? Or maybe one of the seven deadly sins -- gluttony would be a natuaral, and maybe some lust, and if there had been sloathfulness getting rid of that would be good!)

Or maybe "sitting" -- that would be reasonable? Staff sitting on the job should be discouraged.

Or "signing" - what would the hearing impaired do?

"siting" - would we all be on our own to seat ourselves?

"singeing" - no open flames allowed so that couldn't be it!

Or . . . .

The mystery and drama of not knowing was so tantilizing . . . but no, I open it and disappointingly it was singing. On to other posts!

As this was my first time ever as an OP, I will never live down this typo!!! OMG, LOL

Thanks for letting us have a sense of humor -- thankfully I have never made a typo [wink wink]

[personally I could do without the singing as well -- but if you like it, more power to you, but don't expect me to wave a napkin around]

This exactly ^^^^^^ As soon as I hear "SHOWTIME" I wanted to put my hands over my ears. Other than the terrible audio, all the rest really didnt bother me.

I enjoyed it BECAUSE it was hokey. But the waiters apparently hated it, and I don't see any need for people to go through a ritual they hate just because it mildly amuses me.

Good point, they are already catering to more pax per wait staff than years ago so maybe less time and enthusiasm for singing. And let's also cut some slack to the first to point out the typo we all noticed.............. he/she did it to be funny, in a math geek sort of way, obviously not to offend. (from a math geek that can't spell worth a flip)

And, look, it triggered other funny, misspelled posts so it's all good! Not as funny as the Diamond lifeboat thread but, still............

Good point, they are already catering to more pax per wait staff than years ago so maybe less time and enthusiasm for singing. And let's also cut some slack to the first to point out the typo we all noticed.............. he/she did it to be funny, in a math geek sort of way, obviously not to offend. (from a math geek that can't spell worth a flip)

And, look, it triggered other funny, misspelled posts so it's all good! Not as funny as the Diamond lifeboat thread but, still............

I hope my earlier comment was taken in jest, I'm not a spelling warrior at all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the best results of the OP's typo is the life it gave to this thread. Actually, the typo made me click like those billboards that read "made you look". :)

Agree with poster who mentioned the rag tag sound systems used to accompany the singing are a total enigma compared to state of the art systems throughout the ship.

One of the best results of the OP's typo is the life it gave to this thread. Actually, the typo made me click like those billboards that read "made you look". :)

Agree with poster who mentioned the rag tag sound systems used to accompany the singing are a total enigma compared to state of the art systems throughout the ship.

I agree with that as well. Those systems were never really intended for much more than public address, and sound awful when tasked with playing loud music.

Some designer was probably thinking "eh, the cheaper the speakers in the dining room the better, it's not like they're going to be singing and dancing in there."

I will be thrilled if they do away with the singing & parades in the MDR. They always seem to do this right before dessert, making an already painfully long meal even longer :(

It will be interesting to see if this is across the whole line. Hopefully others will report back.

Couple that with the fact that their ratings come from passengers based on the service provided not the singing done. So if these waiters, who already have more people to service, have to take time away for these side shows it my make them rather nervous not just less enthusiastic.

I'll be happy for the crew mostly, but also for the guests, when the serving staff no longer have to do the song and dance routine. The servers work far too hard for far too many hours to also have to suffer the indignity of bring required to sing to the guests.

I was always embarrassed for the staff. Glad it is being eased out.

Kathy

Agree. :)