Customs issues in Galveston, TX

From what I've read, the delays are more likely when the cruise has visited Belize.

That can happen, but in April we were on that itinerary and walked right off. We were through customs and immigration and in our car in no time.

In my experience, Galveston struggles on holidays when they tend to be understaffed and have many more non-US citizens than regular weeks. Out of 11 Galveston sailings, I've had 9 disembarkations that were super fast and two that were a disaster (1 Belize itinerary and 1 Jamaica itinerary). Both were very, very crowded Spring Break cruises, and one returned on Easter Sunday.

That can happen, but in April we were on that itinerary and walked right off. We were through customs and immigration and in our car in no time.

In my experience, Galveston struggles on holidays when they tend to be understaffed and have many more non-US citizens than regular weeks. Out of 11 Galveston sailings, I've had 9 disembarkations that were super fast and two that were a disaster (1 Belize itinerary and 1 Jamaica itinerary). Both were very, very crowded Spring Break cruises, and one returned on Easter Sunday.

That's encouraging to hear. We're doing the Belize itinerary in September and I was a bit concerned about disembarkation delays.

Recently cruised on Navigator (March & May). March was a spring break cruise and the other no holiday. The March cruise included Belize and it was the slower, but that was also a spring break time. We were among the first off after self disembarkation due to our loyalty level. Learned from our March cruise for one of us to get in the porter line and the other to go find luggage.

Patience is in need for disembarkation.

Also if taking off liquor, there is a table set up as you leave to stop and pay tax to the TABC (Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission).

Also if taking off liquor, there is a table set up as you leave to stop and pay tax to the TABC (Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission).

Wow that's a new one to me.....when did they start that!?

Over 10 cruises out of Gal. and never did that. And have taken our allotted bottles of booz from ship many times.

Edited by BecciBoo

I believe that it started January of 2014. When I cruised in February, there was a woman standing in front of the exit asking if people had any alcohol or cigarettes. I seem to remember someone saying that it was $3.00 they had to pay for their allotment of alcohol.

I'm not a big fan of Galveston as a departure port, but I have to say that both embarkation and debarkation were among the easiest and fastest that we have experienced. Maybe we were lucky, but it was a very pleasant surprise. I also found all the port personnel to be very pleasant and helpful.

I'm not a big fan of Galveston as a departure port, but I have to say that both embarkation and debarkation were among the easiest and fastest that we have experienced. Maybe we were lucky, but it was a very pleasant surprise. I also found all the port personnel to be very pleasant and helpful.

Thanks for giving Galveston another try

and a positive review !

And this without the new expanded Terminal 2.

Immigration is doing a much better job

and especially considering what they have to work with.

Lack of facility space , old computers and scanners, and

lack of personnel. RCL is staging and releasing cruisers

in a much better way also.

I complement them both. :)

Over 10 cruises out of Gal. and never did that. And have taken our allotted bottles of booz from ship many times.

I believe that it started January of 2014. When I cruised in February, there was a woman standing in front of the exit asking if people had any alcohol or cigarettes. I seem to remember someone saying that it was $3.00 they had to pay for their allotment of alcohol.

Seems that Texas has some of the oddest laws when it relates to alcohol...however, yes this is correct and was also in place this past March.

They have been collecting this for years at the land border crossings into Texas and just extended it to the Port of Galveston. It applies to both alcohol and tobacco. Looks like $15.00 per carton might curtail tobacco importation.

Here is a link to the chart so you can see what it would cost you to bring it in. I understood that it was only for Texas residents.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

They have been collecting this for years at the land border crossings into Texas and just extended it to the Port of Galveston. It applies to both alcohol and tobacco. Looks like $15.00 per carton might curtail tobacco importation.

Here is a link to the chart so you can see what it would cost you to bring it in. I understood that it was only for Texas residents.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

This was my understanding as well. In fact, this past March, they asked if I was a Texas resident and then requested my DL/ID.

Started in January this year. As others have mentioned, when crossing the border at Mexico at Texas and if bringing back alcohol, have to pay the tax there also.

The customs laws in Texas have been in existence it seems like for ever.

I am 70 years old and remember them

at the Texas border when I was 21 coming back from Monterey Mexico.

Texas is just enforcing long standing laws.

Edited by ssb

Started in January this year. As others have mentioned, when crossing the border at Mexico at Texas and if bringing back alcohol, have to pay the tax there also.

They started collecting at the seaports this year. Have been collecting at the border crossing from Mexico forever.

Was just off Navigator a week ago Sunday and we had been to Belize. Took 2 hours to get through customs WITH A PORTER after getting luggage which is suppossed to be a lot quicker. Person directing lines screwed up the whole thing and was mixing non porter passengers with the porter's lines. Porters were furious as they were supposed to have priority at certain lines. Yes there is a 2.75 per bottle and 15.00 per carton tax station once you get through Federal customs. If you lie and get caught, there is a heavy fine.:mad:

This was my understanding as well. In fact, this past March, they asked if I was a Texas resident and then requested my DL/ID.

Starting sometime in April 2014, they began collecting from everyone whether or not a TX resident. I sailed Carnival then, and they had a form they put in the stateroom the last night.

The customs laws in Texas have been in existence it seems like for ever.

I am 70 years old and remember them

at the Texas border when I was 21 coming back from Monterey Mexico.

Texas is just enforcing long standing laws.

Archaic.... just like the blue laws:rolleyes:

California doesn't do it;)

Archaic.... just like the blue laws:rolleyes:

California doesn't do it;)

Well, there is a whole lot that Texas does differently than California.

As a TX resident I hope they charge everybody after reading this:

Where does the money go?

All money derived from the taxes and fees collected by TABC is deposited into the state's General Revenue Fund, along with all the other tax revenue collected by state agencies.

Keep importing the cigarettes and booze and help fund our state. Anything to keep us from having a state income tax!

Galveston is the only port where I'd turn down a free cruise even if they let me drive the ship and pick the ports.

Don't care what the "was in my truck in an hour" crowd says - if you don't drive in and self debark at dawn - odds are you do the miserable rats maze line in the warehouse for hours.

Never again - not even if paid - you guys can have it.

My 2 pennies worth - but paid a lot more for the lesson.

And yes, I HAVE lived in TX.

Galveston is the only port where I'd turn down a free cruise even if they let me drive the ship and pick the ports.

Don't care what the "was in my truck in an hour" crowd says - if you don't drive in and self debark at dawn - odds are you do the miserable rats maze line in the warehouse for hours.

Never again - not even if paid - you guys can have it.

My 2 pennies worth - but paid a lot more for the lesson.

And yes, I HAVE lived in TX.

Don't turn down that free cruise! Take it and give it to me!:D:D

I wonder how many others will post the "I hate Galveston" story:confused:

I find it amusing the naysayers believe that nothing ever occurs at other ports that delay disembarkation.

They will find out that nothing is perfect anywhere and there are delays everywhere at some time

I assume ,in the future, they will make the decision to never sail again because of the inconvenience of waiting in line:rolleyes:

What a nation of whiners we have become:mad: