Bathroom amenities - a 'welcome' change

PescadoAmarillo

In our suite on the Emerald in June we didn't have the modern & elegant dispensers for which I was very grateful. Had they been there I was going to ask the steward to remove them for the duration of our voyage because I bruise easily when I bump against things. As for the new products all I can say is "Yuck!" I tried the shampoo and had to wash my hair with my own shampoo afterwards. The bars of soap are tiny and we were happy that we had brought our own soap too. I don't see any of this as an improvement or enhancement.

In our suite on the Emerald in June we didn't have the modern & elegant dispensers for which I was very grateful. Had they been there I was going to ask the steward to remove them for the duration of our voyage because I bruise easily when I bump against things. As for the new products all I can say is "Yuck!" I tried the shampoo and had to wash my hair with my own shampoo afterwards. The bars of soap are tiny and we were happy that we had brought our own soap too. I don't see any of this as an improvement or enhancement.

The modern and elegant mount is glued to the wall, so even if you had them Stewart could only remove the modern and elegant bottles but the modern and elegant mount still sticks out hence further bruising.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Stay safe. I saw the photos from Revere and there are more tornadoes warnings although you're north of there.quote]

Thanks, Pam. We were under tornado watch most of the day and evening. Luckily no touchdowns but it was one heck of a day and night. Lots of lightning strikes.

Revere was very nasty but fortunately no-one was hurt. At least we still get NECN so can keep in touch with Boston. :)

Stay safe. I saw the photos from Revere and there are more tornadoes warnings although you're north of there.quote]

Thanks, Pam. We were under tornado watch most of the day and evening. Luckily no touchdowns but it was one heck of a day and night. Lots of lightning strikes.

Revere was very nasty but fortunately no-one was hurt. At least we still get NECN so can keep in touch with Boston. :)

We had 3 here yesterday and chance of more coming today! :eek:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Well, that is Coming Back New.

LOL-it's good to laugh instead of loosing my head over the new products-no pun intended!

But,gee whiz , Princess could you please change the shampoo and conditioner?

I hope someone in charge of customer service or stateroom amenities is reading these posts.

My hair is thick and tangles easily, always bring my own hair products as well as shower gel and Dove bar soap.

Also, took a hint from a poster a few years ago and it works well for me.....the storage space inside the shower for bottles is ridiculously small.....buy a small suction cup shelf in the bath section of a Walmart type store. Works wonderfully, add an s hook to hang puff and you are all set.

As silly as it may sound, it works for me, and makes me happy.

Oh....DH uses whatever is provided, not picky at all! :)

The changes won't make a difference to us. We take our own small bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I hate the perfume used in almost all products. Most of it stays behind even after you thoroughly rinse your hair. Why does everything have to be scented???

The changes won't make a difference to us. We take our own small bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I hate the perfume used in almost all products. Most of it stays behind even after you thoroughly rinse your hair. Why does everything have to be scented???

We found the new shampoo etc had no scent at all.

While not a fan of liquid soap, I find the dispensers have some interesting characteristics. They:

1. Intrude into an already crowded shower space
  2. Appear to be at a mutually inconvenient height
  3. Make great back scratchers, although the noise from me jumping up and down to get a good scratch does cause people to worry
  4. Make a place to hang a wash cloth, however it is not really clear which liquid is now on the cloth
  5. When washing hair, one can't read the labels, which are usually turned anyway
  6. Not as badly scented as some, but definitely not the nice eucalyptis I'm used to

Personally, I've found that some shampoos and soaps cause an all-over rash (as I found out on a business trip, showering in a Sheridan hotel, then feeling itchy all over during an all day meeting...:eek::( )

Here's a picture...

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=29214

showphoto.php?photo=29214

Edited by Times Prince
photo did not show...

While not a fan of liquid soap, I find the dispensers have some interesting characteristics. They:

3. Make great back scratchers, although the noise from me jumping up and down to get a good scratch does cause people to worry
  4. Make a place to hang a wash cloth, however it is not really clear which liquid is now on the cloth
  5. When washing hair, one can't read the labels, which are usually turned anyway
  6. Not as badly scented as some, but definitely not the nice eucalyptis I'm used to

Personally, I've found that some shampoos and soaps cause an all-over rash (as I found out on a business trip, showering in a Sheridan hotel, then feeling itchy all over during an all day meeting...:eek::( )

I've found that the shampoo and conditioner at Holiday Inn Express is the best thing for me other than what I use at home. It works well and doesn't stink. My wife likes it as well.

But,gee whiz , Princess could you please change the shampoo and conditioner?

I hope someone in charge of customer service or stateroom amenities is reading these posts.

One of the cost savings program that Carnival Corp (owner of Princess, Carnival Cruise lines, Holland America, etc.) is to standardize purchasing for commodity items among the various brands.

I wonder if the shampoo/conditional and the liquid body wash are a result of that program and are the same products used on the other Carnival Corp lines.

If this is the case, I would not expect Princess to deviate and start using decent products.

Just found out that Princess is going to offer Chocolate Journeys - new ,yummy,chocolate desserts.

Nice idea,but how about improving the bath products -less calories for the passengers!

You would think Princess would realize that more chocolate = expanded surface area of each passenger = more bath product utilized in order to cleanse said surface area. Thus, their new chocolate area is actually costing them more than simply upgrading the bath products.

Here's a picture...

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=29214

I loved your list! I got worried when you said here's a picture...thought it was going to be of your itchy rash!

You would think Princess would realize that more chocolate = expanded surface area of each passenger = more bath product utilized in order to cleanse said surface area. Thus, their new chocolate area is actually costing them more than simply upgrading the bath products.

Good thinking!

Are you listening Princess?

I loved your list! I got worried when you said here's a picture...thought it was going to be of your itchy rash!

So thought the same thing!! But just had to look!! LOL

In our suite on the Emerald in June we didn't have the modern & elegant dispensers for which I was very grateful. Had they been there I was going to ask the steward to remove them for the duration of our voyage because I bruise easily when I bump against things.

The bracket holding the bottles is screwed into the wall.

If you have the steward remove the bottles, I think the situation

would be worse, as you would be bumping into the edges of the

metal bracket.

For all the people who whine about bottled water here -- where

are they now? Shouldn't they be applauding the elimination of

thousands of plastic bottles?

20131114_Shower_0030.jpg.153203f379feaf6cf7d372086680fee3.jpg

Although I have yet to do my first cruise I have travelled extensively and very rarely find the hair and shower gel products provided by hotels, trains, airport lounges etc suitable. On occasion I have tried them but usually end up having to rewash my hair with my own products just so I can get a comb through my short fine straight hair.

Most of these products are not recognisable brands and I suspect they are some cheap and nasty product that someone has dreamed up for bulk use.

Mind you, I've even had problems with some recognizable brands but that may be just because they don't suit my hair type.

One of the few exceptions is Sofitel Hotels which supply Roger & Gallet Bois d'Orange products. Bliss. ;)

I am not expecting the Princess products to be suitable so will be bringing my own as usual.

• 2 months later...

Come back new??? If I had not brought my own products including a good bar of soap I would have come back DIRTY :eek:

That awful green stuff in the shower/bathtub will never touch my hair or body.

Princess should be ashamed of itself trying to tell us how wonderful the new stuff is. I don't mind cost savings for the company, but don't lie to us pretending you are doing us a favor with new and improved toiletries.:confused::confused:

To me the shower gel is very watered down .... I find I have to use about 15 "squirts" on my washcloth to generate any decent lather. It's definitely NOT as good quality as the "old" eucalyptus stuff. I am also unimpressed with the shampoo/conditioner combo too. That too is too watery.

More like a cheap motel than a supposedly classy cruiseline. If they have to use the bulk buy dispenser stuff, get proper good quality body wash and shampoo. I am sure Molten Brown, Elemis or other mid range company could do a good deal for bulk buy. Not too much to ask surely.