Silly question: white pants in September on Med cruise??

snookie1

When it was a 'Thing,' the white ban didn't just apply to pants. Shoes, handbags, etc were all considered taboo. I was born and raised in Southern California and never subscribed to that ridiculous notion.

So wear your white/cream/bisque cruise wear whenever and wherever you like!!

Only some folk from the USA know anything about the white thing.

We knew about the white thing in Eastern Canada years ago, but it hasn't been an issue since the late Fifties.

Edited by elena7seas

Well it never ceases to amaze me the items that appear in these at times very helpful and constructive forums, we did a Caribbean cruise in March and we shall set sail on a Med cruise in September, i do not recall wondering if i should wear white pants in case it was not considered the "done thing", there are some sights to behold on cruise ships and someone dressed in a pair of smart white pants will look great much better than some of the sloppy items worn by some .Dont worry be happy and long live white pants all the year round( even in the USA)

It's summer somewhere. Do what looks good on you! Start a trend.:) Generally by end of September the temps are just like in the Northeast US and days are getting shorter- so it will be very comfortable for you in Europe. Believe me- cruisers are not slaves to fashion. They will be in bermuda shorts and wearing ugly white tennis shoes probably with black dress socks.

Our Mediterranean cruises back to back with Transatlantic have been hot. Could the amount of cement, stone, tourist, narrow streets, or just unseasonably hot.

As a Sister of Travelling Pants, white or black, long or short, I see costume variety where ever we go. In Manhattan on a business day you will notice mostly dress shoes and dark colors. Dark colors prevail in Paris even by tourist.

Visit Florida, you'll see many in flip flops and skimpy tops.

IMHO, you have no worries about white pants on a Mediterranean cruise but do have your knees covered when entering a church.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

It's summer somewhere. Do what looks good on you! Start a trend.:) Generally by end of September the temps are just like in the Northeast US and days are getting shorter- so it will be very comfortable for you in Europe. Believe me- cruisers are not slaves to fashion. They will be in bermuda shorts and wearing ugly white tennis shoes probably with black dress socks.
I'd rather see my nice white Nike sneakers, than those ugly sandals that they put their un-manicured feet into anyday; talk about not being a slave to fashion.

someone asked when can you start wearing white pants again... in Canada it is after Victoria Day in May... I imagine in the United States it is after Memorial Day (also in May) ;-)

Um ... the general consensus is that the white pants "rule" is very outdated and that nowadays you can wear white pants any time you would like ...

Labor day is when North Americans celebrate the final day of the great vowel famine.

After this all vowels are available....

I love it!! :D Labour Day (see I know how to spell!) is celebrated the first Monday in September. As for when can you start wearing white in North America, not before the May 2 4 weekend in Canada. I have separated out the 24th as two separate numbers - 2 and 4 - because a two four in Canada references a case of beer.:D Like I said earlier, I don't follow this ridiculous "rule".

No white after Labor Day is a North American thing started by the Astors and the Vanderbilts. Europe and the rest of the world have never practiced that habit. In the 1960's Jackie Kennedy and Coco Chanel started wearing white after Labor Day and the trend started to fade. Now women wear white all year long think "winter white" slacks.

Wear whatever you are comfortable with and what makes you feel good. We are going on a cruise to Europe in September and several of the women have already said they are bringing white slacks.

100% this ... Fashion Fact.

Outside of North America white can be seen year round.

It feels a bit odd at first for those of us who were brought up with the "no white after Labour Day" Rule to do the first time... But it is very acceptable / freeing so give it a whirl. I love having all my Summer Clothes when on a Caribbean Cruise... including my white dress pants.

Ya need to channel one of the late great fashion breakers... Jackie O, Coco C, Katharine H, and even Alva Vanderbilt Belmont within yourself... and not "the MRS Astor"

Lol, without them it wouldn't be a matter of white as a choice... It would also be a matter of pants !!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Um ... the general consensus is that the white pants "rule" is very outdated and that nowadays you can wear white pants any time you would like ...

I would suggest white pants and bright red underwear. LOL!!

DON

We will be in Florida in December next year. Can I or can't I wear white pants? Does this mean cream as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

If the pants fit, where them. Anything goes in Florida.

People born here will wear sweaters, boots and coats in December.

Transplants and tourist will walk alongside the natives but wear short sleeves, open tops, short shorts, capris, and sundresses. Flip flops, sandals, sketchers, and new balance are big for footwear. Flip flops most of all.

jls

Thanks to all of you who weighed in with your advice and comments. It seems I am not the only one who thinks about such things. I knew the old rule of no white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day was pretty much passé, but I just did not want to offend any sensibilities. I will definitely be bringing along the whites for the warm days.