Princess to Add 19th Ship to Fleet

kimchee1212

If you are referring to the Grand class ships, min-suites on all Grand class ships have oversized balconies and cost way more than a standard balcony. They also have different rates for location.

Caribe deck cabins all have oversized balconies on the grand class ships and they come with higher rates than standard cabins on decks above them. If they have a sale, they may charge regular cabin rates. However, as a rule, the cabins are priced at a premium for the Dolphin and Caribe decks.

We have always been in these cabins on our cruises and therefore have the facts straight.

We have been on the Royal and we have our facts straight.

We will be on the Regal on an extended balcony in December, that we got at a sale rate. In other words, you can get whatever size balcony you want on the Royal and Regal. If you don't like the price you can wait for a sale.

And that's a fact!

Just want to say congratulations on grandchild #3. :):)

Royal Caribbean is actually inventive, builds new ships with decent size balconies and their stock price is now killing CCL. They must be doing something right.

I'd suspect the Costa Concordia accident and the Carnival Triumph fiasco have had more of a negative effect on CCL's stock price than the size of Regal and Royal Princess's balconies.

As others have said, if there had been overwhelming passenger dissatisfaction with the new builds, and if they hadn't been generating the expected revenue, Princess wouldn't have ordered a third.

Oh, didn't you realize that the extra sized balconies on all Princess ships come with an extra cost? :D:D:D The extra size balconies on Dolphin deck and Caribe deck on Grand class ships have much higher costs than the regular sized balconies on the Grand class ships. :rolleyes:

This is not quite true. There are plenty of BD balcony rooms on Grand class ships, both forward and aft on Caribe, that are cheaper than many of the standard sized balconies on Aloha/Baja decks. Princess seems to value location over balcony size when it comes to Grand class.

There is what I am calling a Royal tax on these new ships as we are in a Caribe balcony on the Emerald for the TA in October (14 days) for the same price that Princess wants for a 10 day Carribbean cruise on the Royal in one of these balcony rooms that will accomodate 4 people on a balcony. Thats what I call a :rolleyes:.

This is not quite true. There are plenty of BD balcony rooms on Grand class ships, both forward and aft on Caribe, that are cheaper than many of the standard sized balconies on Aloha/Baja decks. Princess seems to value location over balcony size when it comes to Grand class.

There is what I am calling a Royal tax on these new ships as we are in a Caribe balcony on the Emerald for the TA in October (14 days) for the same price that Princess wants for a 10 day Carribbean cruise on the Royal in one of these balcony rooms that will accomodate 4 people on a balcony. Thats what I call a :rolleyes:.

I'm delighted to hear you got a great price on the Emerald cruise. I got a great price too on the Regal extended balcony for December.. It was on sale for 1/2 the cost of my last Royal Caribe balcony. It pays to watch for sales.

It is just wonderful that we can sail a brand new ship for less than an older ship if we want too. Research, research, research! :D;):rolleyes:

Edited by Mom33

Okay folks.. here's reality.

Balconies are non revenue generators - not going to be a priority. Based on loads, they have no problem selling the current ones at decent rates.

The promenade is a non-revenue generator - not going to be a priority

Mid-ship stairs might bring more people through the atrium and related revenue opps. I can see that being addressed if its not a structural design issue.

Aft pool could mean more drinks sold. Maybe (would be a major reengineer)

Elevator size increases means people spend less time waiting for them and more time possibly spending money. Maybe if structurally feasible.

They are NOT having problems filling the royal class ships. So there is minimal motivation to make expensive design changes.

A couple of points. First is that I don't buy that they have no problems filling the ships. We had several price drops on our July 6 Baltic and Scandinavia cruise. That's a time when they should have no problem filling a ship for that itinerary and Celebrity's prices for a similar itinerary on an older ship are much higher.

I don't think elevator size increases spending. The delays, at most, add on five or ten minutes to your day. It impacts my cruise in that it's an annoyance and it makes those elevators incubators for diseases.

I have no idea if fondue or crab boils are great revenue generators. We did like winemakers dinner and I felt priced out of the chef's table at those new prices.

They are NOT having problems filling the royal class ships. So there is minimal motivation to make expensive design changes.

Actually, they are. Last fall, winter and spring, there were a ton of specials (really cheap specials) on the Royal Princess. This summer, tons of specials on both Royal and Regal Princess. They do not compare price was to RCCL's top ships - those are going for a premium when Princess is giving away the Royal at times.

They are filling the ships but not at the price they want.

Actually, they are. Last fall, winter and spring, there were a ton of specials (really cheap specials) on the Royal Princess. This summer, tons of specials on both Royal and Regal Princess. They do not compare price was to RCCL's top ships - those are going for a premium when Princess is giving away the Royal at times.

They are filling the ships but not at the price they want.

That may be true in the Caribbean, but cabins on the Regal for the upcoming Grand Med cruises are selling for hundreds of dollars over Launch pricing. I think Princess makes more of their money on these ships in Europe, rather than the Caribbean and that is probably why they have expanded the European cruise schedule over the recent years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That may be true in the Caribbean, but cabins on the Regal for the upcoming Grand Med cruises are selling for hundreds of dollars over Launch pricing. I think Princess makes more of their money on these ships in Europe, rather than the Caribbean and that is probably why they have expanded the European cruise schedule over the recent years.

But after this year they're too big for Venice so they won't be on that route. Also check out the post above about the Northern Europe discounts. They're being discounted everywhere

Looking at the September grand med there are some balcony cabins that are $700 pp less than their start price

Edited by Cruise Junky
spelling

Caribe deck cabins all have oversized balconies on the grand class ships and they come with higher rates than standard cabins on decks above them. If they have a sale, they may charge regular cabin rates. However, as a rule, the cabins are priced at a premium for the Dolphin and Caribe decks.

We have always been in these cabins on our cruises and therefore have the facts straight...

What you said above was true before the Fleet Recategorization a few years ago and is still true for the cabins mid ships. However, now the aft cabins on both Caribe and Baja decks are Cat BD and the forward cabins on both Caribe and Baja decks are Cat BE. Those aft and forward cabins on Caribe used to be Cat BB so it was nice getting a Caribe balcony for as much as three categories less. Shortly after booking our October cruise we were upgraded from a Cat BE Caribe deck to a Cat B2 Caribe deck balcony :)

But after this year they're too big for Venice so they won't be on that route. Also check out the post above about the Northern Europe discounts. They're being discounted everywhere
In a few years (decades??) there will be a new cruise ship channel that will bypass the Giudecca Canal and allow larger ships to once again call on Venice.

I wouldn't have a problem sailing on either the Royal or Regal for a port intensive European itinerary. Since the ports are the destination the small balconies wouldn't bother me as a matter of fact I would probably book an interior. On the other hand on a Caribbean itinerary that only has 3 ports of call which I have been to many times the ship would become the destination and for me there are other Princess ships with better deck plans as well as other cruise lines with different itineraries that better suit my needs in the Caribbean. Now if the Regal or Royal would sail from San Juan for a southern Caribbean route I would be happy to sail on either.

The Royal actually has 2 really nice 10 day southern itineraries - one doesn't even stop at Princess cays - with 6 ports on each one -this winter. Folks are doing 20 day B2Bs as it does different islands ... I am quite jealous of those folks. So with the lovely new ship and that many ports, you can get the best of both worlds. BTW one of those itineraries just reduced fares even after the last sale for balconies...wahoo. I agree that the Regal 7 day with only 3 stops, one of which is Princess cays, is not as appealing. It is very comparable to the Celebrity itinerary which I am guessing is one of the primary competitors in this market. I think the Princess options are better than Celebrity..then again I love the minisuites... And I am prepared for knocking knees on the balcony

I've seen nothing on OV cabins except 80% of cabins have balconies which is exactly what R&R have so unless they plan on changing some inside cabins to OV, it looks like they're missing :(

I'd like to know what Jan is smoking in thinking they're successful. Her bar must be set pretty damn low

AMEN!!!

The Royal has never achieved over a 66% Approval Rate on CC and that's "exceptionally successful"? In fact, after having sailed on the Royal, I never even bothered to check the reviews for the Regal.

If it is true that the older ships will be leaving the Princess fleet, then DH and I will have no problem joining them. We were disappointed to hear that there would be yet a third Princess ship to put at the bottom of our list, regardless of itinerary. :(

I like sailing on a ship that feels like a ship. I have no interest in 3500 passenger ships. I guess if Princess replaces the old ships we will have to go back to HAL.

Then oasis of the seas isn't a ship for you. A 6000 passenger ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Royal actually has 2 really nice 10 day southern itineraries - one doesn't even stop at Princess cays - with 6 ports on each one -this winter. Folks are doing 20 day B2Bs as it does different islands ... I am quite jealous of those folks. So with the lovely new ship and that many ports, you can get the best of both worlds. BTW one of those itineraries just reduced fares even after the last sale for balconies...wahoo. I agree that the Regal 7 day with only 3 stops, one of which is Princess cays, is not as appealing. It is very comparable to the Celebrity itinerary which I am guessing is one of the primary competitors in this market. I think the Princess options are better than Celebrity..then again I love the minisuites... And I am prepared for knocking knees on the balcony

Thanks for the suggestion but at this time in my life 10 days doesn't work for me :(. That reposition cruise in Oct would be a bargain for me only having to fly one way. If I could I would book that one.

The Royal has never achieved over a 66% Approval Rate on CC and that's "exceptionally successful"? In fact, after having sailed on the Royal, I never even bothered to check the reviews for the Regal.(
I am sure Princess has comprehensive data available to determine the success of a new ship without relying on CC Approval Ratings. Edited by billco

I did get a ton of "flash rates" for the Regal this summer, as early as the 2nd sailing on her. I just got a stand by rate for her "maiden voyage" from Venice to FLL. There have been some exceptional (read cheap) on the Regal this summer.

I did mention in my post that I have gotten flash rates for both ships in Europe this summer.

I am guessing those who are booked on the sailings are not seeing the targeted specials I see when I login.

Edited by Coral

I am sure Princess has comprehensive data available to determine the success of a new ship without relying on CC Approval Ratings.

Approvals mean nothing, Booking$ are what count on the bottom line and the prices reflect that.

Mike:)

The maiden TA on the Regal this year is much more expensive than the Royal TA last year.

It's really high right now but back in May it was $700 pp cheaper for a deluxe balcony and $600 cheaper for a regular balcony Probably close to Royals price. And I don't remember any price drops on Royal's TA

interesting, I got an e-mail offer for an OS suite for the same price we paid two years ago for essentially the same cruise. One began in BCN and one began in VCE. Both were 12 day. Both were in September. Given that two years had passed and the Regal is a new ship I would have expected a premium price. We didn't take it. We've made a switch to Seabourn.

They are NOT having problems filling the royal class ships.

Following is proof that they are having problems filling the ship at "new ship pricing."

I got a great price too on the Regal extended balcony for December.. It was on sale for 1/2 the cost of my last Royal Caribe balcony.

The two RCCL ships (Behemoth of the Seas and Displacement of the Seas) still command new ship pricing. The Regal cannot command new ship pricing even in its first season.

Following is proof that they are having problems filling the ship at "new ship pricing."

The two RCCL ships (Behemoth of the Seas and Displacement of the Seas) still command new ship pricing. The Regal cannot command new ship pricing even in its first season.

So you feel that if Princess has a sale, then it can't sell cabins without a sale?

Should we say the same for HAL, Celebrity, NCL, RCL's other ships etc.?

Can you tell us where to get the figures to support your claim? Thanks

I am not proof of what you claim. I am proof you can get a cabin on sale.

Edited by Mom33