Freedom of the Seas drydock

Interesting thread. I can say we've had some interesting post launch and post drydock cruises.

We sailed on the Allure OTS #13. The only real issue we experienced was new Main Dining Room software was not ready for prime time after 13 weeks. Our initial dining room table (for two) was double booked. Another couple was already being served when we arrived. They were very indignant when waiter asked to double check their seapass. We were taken back out to the MD entrance while a head waiter called their office for direction. She even ended up fighting over the phone with whoever was on the other end. She ultimately slammed the phone down and made her own assignment to a 6 top in her section where we sat alone all week. She personally took care of us all week. She was great.

Our second cruise on Allure was this March following the drydock to repair azipod prop bearings. I am sure they did a bunch of work during the week. We were made aware that they installed new ship board security software when we boarded. My wife was first passenger to step aboard that morning and security asked her if they could test with her seapass as if she she got on and off the ship several times. We thought nothing of it at the time. Turns out we were hours late leaving each port that week due to inaccurate passenger counts. The Captain and Crew pleaded with passengers over PA system to report to officers at purser's desk so we could leave the ports. They ended up running the systems in parallel but there were still delays. Good thing the props were fixed otherwise we would have been late everywhere we went.

None of these issues were enough to cause us any distress, but as process oriented people, we found it interesting.

Perhaps the most radical dry dock event was when they cut the Enchantment OTS in half and inserted a whole new section of ship to stretch it. I find this amazing. You have to know that these events take an extreme amount of planning and coordination. I think RCI does a great job and we remain loyal to the brand even if we experience hiccups.

As a Supply Chain Planning professional (plan and schedule manufacturing across 20 plants in NA) I am quite familiar with what it takes to deal with unplanned events or deviation to planned efficiency. The details RCI and the shipyards deal with are astounding. I applaud their ability to do what they do in short time frames.

I am still quite curious if anyone has new or clearer insights to the Freedom's upcoming dry dock activities.

Edited by RichBuckeye

We are about 10 days from final payment for our Feb Freedom cruise and there is still no dining available to book other than the character breakfast. No Chops, Giovanni's Table, or any of the other new restaurants they are supposed to have. We have MTD and don't have the option to reserve that either.

We are about 10 days from final payment for our Feb Freedom cruise and there is still no dining available to book other than the character breakfast. No Chops, Giovanni's Table, or any of the other new restaurants they are supposed to have. We have MTD and don't have the option to reserve that either.

Try and not stress out. ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I sailed on a Carnival ship first sailing out of dry dock and there were absolutely no problems at all. There was not any work still being done, the staff weren't confused, in fact, I think they were more upbeat and rested! I would not hesitate to do it again.

The only thing that has been offcially announced by Royal is that Freedom will get the show Hairspray.

I was on the Freedom Oct 26-Nov 2. We did the backstage tour and I asked the stage manager if the shows were changing during the Jan drydock. He said no.

On the list that someone shared, it said that they will be getting rid of the Cupcake Cupboard during dry dock. I just signed up for the cupcake decorating class for my April cruise. Is this class going to get canceled on me?

Nobody knows at this point. Everything you hear are rumors, that can turn out to be true.

• 3 weeks later...

I was very underwhelmed with the dining room on Freedom of the Seas. Food was very mediocre so if the dining room went away and was replaced by a series of smaller restaurants with Dynamic Dining, I wouldn't have an issue with this at all. Portofino was our best meal of the week on our sailing.

I personally like the concept of dynamic dining vs the traditional seatings. it's not like RC enforces the dress codes of the Dining Room so what's the sense of even having them? Lose them and set up a series of individual dining experiences with different cuisines like Italian, Indian, Asian and more. Could make for a much more dynamic dining experience in more ways than one.

I think that's what the dock workers are asking too :)

Ship is going in, in a couple of weeks you would think it wasn't too much to ask to get some idea of what the plans are for those of us booked on her post drydock ... apparently so.

All of the secrecy around the dry dock is a little ridiculous. I don't really understand the point. Like another poster mentioned, though, I DO hope that they are putting in a Sabor and Hairspray. Those would be great when we embark in March. :)

I was very underwhelmed with the dining room on Freedom of the Seas. Food was very mediocre so if the dining room went away and was replaced by a series of smaller restaurants with Dynamic Dining, I wouldn't have an issue with this at all. Portofino was our best meal of the week on our sailing.

I personally like the concept of dynamic dining vs the traditional seatings. it's not like RC enforces the dress codes of the Dining Room so what's the sense of even having them? Lose them and set up a series of individual dining experiences with different cuisines like Italian, Indian, Asian and more. Could make for a much more dynamic dining experience in more ways than one.

RCI is saying that FR is not getting DD at the present time.

Did voyager get DD

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Apparently it didn't based on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121950 post 17.

I guess like everything, we will just have to wait and see regarding Freedom!

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

I agree with this.

Prior to our cruise on FOS in September, I was anti-Dynamic Dining.

Then we cruised and were also underwhelmed with the MDR. The food was fine, but the service wasn't anything like what we experienced on our last RC cruise back in 2009. The second week of our B2B, we only ate in the MDR on the first night. Even though we were seated at the same table for 2, our waitstaff had changed, and service was poor. Instead of waiting to see if the service would improve, we had dinner in the WJ for the remainder of our cruise (which we surprisingly really enjoyed!), and once in Portofino, which was the best meal of the entire vacation. (Makes me a little sad they'll be replacing this venue.)

We loved the ship though, and booked another B2B for next September, because we're excited to see the changes. We also booked a GS for this trip, and are delighted to hear Freedom may be getting a Coastal Kitchen. :)

Just off the Freedom yesterday and heard at the CC meet & greet that they are adding staterooms to the forward part of the ship, above the spa/gym area. The activities director who was running the event said to look at the Navigator while we were in port together, as it will be similar to that ship. He also said to enjoy the jogging track as it is now, as it will be altered with the addition of the forward staterooms after drydock. Think he said they are adding a restaurant(s) to the area where Olive & Twist is now.

Fixing the propulsion systems would be a good place to start.:)
I think that is why RCI is doing drydock about a year early. We were originally booked for 1-25-2014 and were contacted by RCI about our cruise being cancelled. We were offered price protected sailings and $400 OBC.