First Transatlantic In October

gordylad

Getting slightly nervous although very much looking forward to our first transatlantic in October from Rome to Miami.

Would anyone like to share some comforting thoughts about their experiences we are just hoping for decent weather and smooth sailing.

Transatlantics are the ultimate way to relax, unwind, experience long lazy days, and socialize with your fellow passengers.

It definitely isn't about the destination...but all about the journey. We enjoy the westbound TA's. Especially traveling the southern route to Miami. We've been fortunate to have experienced relatively smooth seas on our voyages. If there is some "weather", the ship will usually alter it's course, and skirt around those issues.

We are also on a TA in Oct. from Rome to Miami (Reflection). This cruise will follow a very port intensive Med. cruise, so we plan to enjoy the days at sea and just enjoy the ship.

Karyn

Getting slightly nervous although very much looking forward to our first transatlantic in October from Rome to Miami.

Would anyone like to share some comforting thoughts about their experiences we are just hoping for decent weather and smooth sailing.

The airplane ride to get to Rome will be the worst part of your transatlantic. I wouldn't really worry about the weather as you are at the tail end of hurricane season. I've seen good and bad, but the worst was never a deal breaker not to take another one.

Transatlantics are the best !!!

One year we had very rough storms in November so the captain went way south down towards Turks and Caicos and came up by Cuba so we would miss it instead of going straight accross. Poor us... we landed up with 80 degree weather on our crossing instead of 70 degree. :)

Obviously there are no guarantees in life but I did that route going eastbound and was shocked by how smooth it was. I walked everyday on the open deck (top deck) and it was never too windy or cold. We had beautiful weather and calm seas.

Now- I did the QM2 Westbound from Southampton to NYC and that's a whole other kettle of fish. That water is rough year round. Fortunately the QM2 was built for this purpose (TAs) and cuts those waves like butter. Using the pool though was hard because of the wind. First day by the pool, my room key, landyard, flip flops and cover up went flying off the deck chair. I managed to recover these items before they went sailing off into the Atlantic. So for those considering a TA from the US that travels the North Atlantic... you will not have the same experience as those sailing from Florida to Europe and vice versa.

I did my first transatlantic in 2012, Malaga, Spain to San Juan, Puerto Rico (see cruise history below). Thinking back, I was probably nervous about taking my trip, but my fears and concerns had nothing to do with the weather or the crossing of the Atlantic. I had concerns about the travel to get to Spain and my time in Spain before the cruise. At the time I was concerned about flying out of JFK after hurricane Sandy devastated the northeast. Most people worry themselves far too much prior to their trip and realize later that there was nothing to be concerned about. I am taking my third transatlantic in 3 years. Does it look like I'm hooked? You betcha!! The length of the cruise ensures that I will see few if any kids. The many sea days in a row allow someone to really relax and recharge. Do good trip planning and understand where you are going and what you want out of the cruise and you will be fine.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Been on TAs where there have been 50 ft waves and winds over 60 mph

Ship listed for over 20 mins another night and the rains :eek:

I would stay away , and leave the TAs to people who are crazy

Make sure you have a mid- ships cabin, where there is least ship movement.

We've been on 2 TA's and loved them both. On one - an eastbound - we had three days of very rough seas, wind & rain. It was freezing cold in the morning. On the other, the weather was lovely.

Honestly, I'd take the rough seas in a heartbeat because TAs are so relaxing. You get to enjoy the whole cruise ship, get caught up on sleep, eat well, read, work out, gaze off at the sea, eat, drink ...

We did our first TA last May from FLL to Harwich, England. We had three ports, which added to the trip. We did five wine tastings and I read four books on the cruise. It was fun.

This year we are doing a Westbound TA from Copenhagen to Miami with the NCL Star. Our days will be 25 hours instead of 23. It should be fun.

Feeling nervous about your first transatlantic cruise is completely normal as there are always horror story's about the weather and huge waves etc etc.... But as with any news bad news sells and get noticed a lot more as more people seem to post negatives rather then positives...

I have done the med - Florida once & Florida - England once and on both occasions the crossing was pretty smooth... Now we did have a night of what was said to be rough waves but to be honest It didn't bother us in the slightest 😄 we actually enjoyed it to be honest... And just for the record we are not crazy!! 😁

A transatlantic cruise is in my honest opinion a great way to relax for a couple of weeks with all them sea days to enjoy the ship & totally relax, on the way to Florida you also get a few 25 hour days so even longer to enjoy yourselves 😎

We can't wait for our next transatlantic cruise also in October from Barcelona - Florida and what ever the weather is like it won't stop us having a great time... #lovetransatlantics

Thanks folks so far we have done 4 cruises with Celebrity 3 in the Med and 1 Caribbean. Our Oct cruise from Rome to Miami is on Reflection which we were on in June and so far its our favourite ship. Always book aft and once again aft in October so hope its not too rough.

Thinking back we were surprised at how rough the caribbean was on our first cruise and the one that left from Southampton was rough on the second night through the bay of biscay.

So far the travel sickness pills have worked their magic!!

I'm doing my first TA this October, too, Equinox Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, and really looking forward to it. Love sea days. Chill and relax on a floating mega resort. What else could matter after that?

- Joel

We have done 5 westbound TA's over the past 5 years, in Oct, Nov, and even Dec. All ended in Florida. The only rough seas we encountered were in crossing the infamous Bay of Biscay, coming from England. No TA this year, bur we are looking at a Northern crossing for Sept 2015.

I'm doing my first TA this October, too, Equinox Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, and really looking forward to it. Love sea days. Chill and relax on a floating mega resort. What else could matter after that?

- Joel

We are also on the same crossing... Sooooo looking forward to it, it will be our 3rd transatlantic crossing and can't wait for them 25 hour days!! 😎

We are doing our 1st TA this Nov also. Funny, but the weather never occurred to us as a consideration! :) we are more worried about getting rolled in Rome :D, by some ripoff merchant!!

Our first crossing was from Rome to ft lauderdale 1st December 2012 and we had great weather for most of the trip... Was great laying in the hot sun in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean totally relaxing! with the odd cocktail to help also 🍸😎

Enjoy your crossing which I'm sure will be the first of many!! 😃

Our first crossing was from Rome to ft lauderdale 1st December 2012 and we had great weather for most of the trip... Was great laying in the hot sun in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean totally relaxing! with the odd cocktail to help also 🍸😎

Enjoy your crossing which I'm sure will be the first of many!! 😃

Oh thank you! We are getting pretty excited now :)

Ooooohhhh the 25 hr days is another bonus!

I hope you enjoy yours!

Been on TAs where there have been 50 ft waves and winds over 60 mph

Ship listed for over 20 mins another night and the rains :eek:

I would stay away , and leave the TAs to people who are crazy

From the many threads I've read about transatlantic cruises and my own personal experience on two westbound TA itineraries, what you have described is almost unbelievable and certainly not the conditions that most cruisers would ever find or experience.

Really, this is the dramatic flair that does nothing to help people new to cruise critic trying to get answers to their questions, concerns and fears.

Edited by vulcan1971

We have done one Westbound TA (Rome to Ft Lauderdale on RCL) in November and one Eastbound TA (Ft Lauderdale to Amsterdam on Celebrity) in April - loved both of them. The cruise lines seem to add additional activities, so there was always plenty to choose from especially on Celebrity with the 'podium' lectures series.

The only downside on the westbound was not having fixed dining - it seemed to take longer to get a table since everyone is dining on the ship.

The only downside on the eastbound was losing an hour of sleep for six nights, but it was easier to adjust to than flying over and losing all that sleep on one night.

The prices are less expensive than other types of cruises and you really have a chance to enjoy all the ship has to offer.

The only bad weather we encountered was in the Mediterranean - the Atlantic was calm in comparison.

Enjoy!!!!!!

From the many threads I've read about transatlantic cruises and my own personal experience on two westbound TA itineraries, what you have described is almost unbelievable and certainly not the conditions that most cruisers would ever find or experience.

Really, this is the dramatic flair that does nothing to help people new to cruise critic trying to get answers to their questions, concerns and fears.

100% agreed! Some people just like to be noticed as good story tellers!

Fortunately on this occasion it's not very convincing! : )

Edited by MR_T

You think I am making this up

Nov 26 2012 Equinox TA

Over a 100 glass divides on balcony broke , a lifeboat was lost , people had water come into their cabin on the 8th deck