Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board

Host Walt

Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?

• Yes, absolutely. It's a great idea.
    • I'm OK with it for now but would like to see how it works.
    • Not a big fan of that idea but will go along.
    • No. That's a bad idea and I cannot go along with it.

Host Walt, the thread that you chose to keep open has a title that will not be very 'informative' to newbies down the road that may be looking for info on where they can smoke, or where to avoid the smoke on a specific HAL ship. The title asks a specific question, and unless I wanted to answer it, as a newbie I would not know to look there for information or 'real life' experiences on smoking (or not) on a HAL ship.

And even if I was directed there, as a newbie I would be lost trying to go through (so far) 221 posts looking for my answer! As well - wouldn't information on where you can or can't smoke or opinions on the smoking matter then be off topic in your chosen thread?

For some reason I had it in my mind you were going to create a new thread called All Things Smoking or something like that.

Just thought I would mention this. :-))

Host Walt, I tend to agree with LyndaS. The thread title seems to make it sound like some sort of a poll and would be frustrating for newbies looking for information.

Perhaps if you were to start the new floating smoking thread yourself with a clear title and lead off with the new posting rules, plus a cut and paste of the HAL smoking policy in the first post it would be clear for everyone.

I agree with LindaS.

It would be so much better if there was a new "neutral" thread started with the rules as the first post. That way at least people would see the answer right away and avoid all the discussion.

For some reason I had it in my mind you were going to create a new thread called All Things Smoking or something like that.

Agree with this suggestion/comment. The other threads title may cause some confusion.

Thanks

Lis

Edited by Lis2065

The smoking sticky's first post should contain a link from HAL's website to the official smoking policy. Of course, it may change, but hopefully HAL keeps the link static and valid.

One thing I do not like about sticky threads on Cruise Critic is that you cannot edit/update information, so you have to wade through pages to find anything. (Sometimes it's difficult to search threads on mobile devices.)

I agree with the others.

Lock out all the old threads and start fresh.

Begin with the explanation that all smoking questions, and discussions are to be located in the new thread.

Then, in a post devoid of emotion and opinion, list out the current smoking areas. A link to the HAL policy would also be appropriate. Where possible, mention areas that have had smoking recently banned (such as in the cabins), and the penalty for smoking in the cabins.

And additional paragraph re: e-cigarettes, and where they can be used, would be appropriate.

I agree with the others.

Begin with the explanation that all smoking questions, and discussions are to be located in the new thread.

Then, in a post devoid of emotion and opinion, list out the current smoking areas. A link to the HAL policy would also be appropriate. Where possible, mention areas that have had smoking recently banned (such as in the cabins), and the penalty for smoking in the cabins.

And additional paragraph re: e-cigarettes, and where they can be used, would be appropriate.

I agree. We need an entirely fresh thread. The one that has been selected to remain open doesn't address the need.

Walt, can you please reconsider?

i guess you should have one thread for the wine policy, the soda policy, the Dress code policy, and many others. Its like supporting discrimination in that if a poster has a question or position the is different than the most regular users of the forum...... Off with his/her head and if they want to talk they have to go to a different place. I don't think the most active people voting on this poll represent the majority of the forum members and even if they did I think it is wrong for them to shuffle peoples questions of any topic off to and out of the main flow of questions. If they are offended or bothered by posts on subjects they are tired of or find offensive..... Then just dont read them. How hard is that? But its like they cannot help themselves from avoiding the drama that they will participate in. Just my 2 cents.

I agree. We need an entirely fresh thread. The one that has been selected to remain open doesn't address the need.

Walt, can you please reconsider?

I couldn't agree more. Walt, I do hope you have a re-think about this.

It needs to be a thread with a title that clearly relates to the topic. The one you have selected definitely does not do that.

Edited by Lizzie68

i guess you should have one thread for the wine policy, the soda policy, the Dress code policy, and many others. Its like supporting discrimination in that if a poster has a question or position the is different than the most regular users of the forum...... Off with his/her head and if they want to talk they have to go to a different place. I don't think the most active people voting on this poll represent the majority of the forum members and even if they did I think it is wrong for them to shuffle peoples questions of any topic off to and out of the main flow of questions. If they are offended or bothered by posts on subjects they are tired of or find offensive..... Then just dont read them. How hard is that? But its like they cannot help themselves from avoiding the drama that they will participate in. Just my 2 cents.

Active or not, every one had time to express their preference. People who didn't vote shouldn't complain about the results.

I agree with the others.

Agree these are excellent suggestions.

1st--- a big THANK YOU to Host Walt for consolidating all the smoking threads.

2nd---please consider Ruth's suggestions to redo this sticky

Agree these are excellent suggestions.

Thanks for saying so.

I spent my career drafting memos that had to be clear, concise, and accurate. The idea was, also, that you never pointed out a problem without offering a solution.

Old habits die hard.

Contrary to my DW's assertions, I really do pay attention to good suggestions. I have just set up a new thread, This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies. Please let me know in this old thread if you have any other suggestions. Posting such suggestions in the new thread would be off topic to that thread.

Contrary to my DW's assertions, I really do pay attention to good suggestions. I have just set up a new thread, This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies. Please let me know in this old thread if you have any other suggestions. Posting such suggestions in the new thread would be off topic to that thread.

One more thing. Please note that the new thread was not set up as a "sticky." We'll see how that works going forward.

Thank you, Walt!:)