september cruise to Alaska.....will it be too cold?

Nina2014

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum so please excuse me if I make mistakes in process of posting. That being said, we ( my mother and I ) were booked on the Volendam for an Alaska cruise starting August 13, 2014.

well, this week she fell and broke her ankle; we have to cancel obviously (thank heavens for cancellation plans!!) but I would like to re- book for early September on the same ship and same itinerary.

My questions to all your experienced cruisers, will September be too cold for Alaska? Any suggestions or ideas? I just don't want to cancel and not go , she is so disappointed. thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's ankle. How disappointing for both of you to delay your cruise. At least, you're only planning on delaying it and not cancelling it altogether.

I can't really help you about your question because I've never cruised to Alaska in September. The thing about Alaska is that the weather can be good, rainy, foggy, etc. at any time of the cruise season. I have read that September can be stormy, or rougher but again, that's a bit of a crapshoot. I'm sure you'll have people coming on saying they had spectacular weather and some will say that they will never sail to Alaska in September again.

I didn't note where you're coming from so I don't know if you're from a colder or warmer climate. If you are a person who feels the cold, make sure you have rainproof gear, hat, gloves and a scarf. I don't think you'll need winter clothing (but I'm from Canada and I like cooler climates) and I'm positive you won't need winter boots for Alaska.

Whenever you do go, I hope that you and your Mom have a wonderful trip. Alaska is amazing!

Only you can say what is "too cold", but there are plenty of websites that can show you what temperatures to expect in Alaska in September. I have friends that did it last year in September, last cruise of the season, and they never commented about cold weather. Just remember to take plenty of layers to be prepared, gloves and warm hat also.

Looking at historical data for Anchorage, in mid-September you can expect lows as low as the teens and low 20s, and highs in the high 50s to nearly 70.

Edited by Dave in NJ

We were on a mid-Sep last-of-season cruise-tour. The first day, in Fairbanks was beautiful ... mid 70's and sunny ... and the weather went steadily downhill from there. Cold and rain/snow in Denali - couldn't see the upper half of the mountain. Cold most all the way. Sitka wasn't too bad. Ketchikan was a bit warmer but raining hard. It was sunny in Glacier Bay, but even with parkas and wool hats we were cold because of the wind. We wouldn't do a Sep cruise again.

p.s. even though we live in FL now, we lived the first half of our lives in New England and upstate NY, so we are not talking about 50's being cold like some Floridians do!

Edited by catl331

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum so please excuse me if I make mistakes in process of posting. That being said, we ( my mother and I ) were booked on the Volendam for an Alaska cruise starting August 13, 2014.

well, this week she fell and broke her ankle; we have to cancel obviously (thank heavens for cancellation plans!!) but I would like to re- book for early September on the same ship and same itinerary.

My questions to all your experienced cruisers, will September be too cold for Alaska? Any suggestions or ideas? I just don't want to cancel and not go , she is so disappointed. thanks!

Hope Mom is feeling and doing better. We sailed something like Sept 8th (forgive me, it's been a few years since Alaska). We did have rain every day, but not all day. For us it was cold (I get cold easily though). Dress in layers, bring a positive attitude, and you'll love Alaska. And don't forget you can always sip on hot chocolate :)

We did alaska on volendam in September as or first cruise.

Because it is after sept 1 you may get in to Johns Hopkins Inlet and get an extra glacier in Glacier Bay. If you go to the Yukon in Skagway you will likely get fall foliage. It is spectacular. It may be dark or close to dark when you leave ports (it will be dark when you leave Skagway and Juneau) and as you arrive in the mornings. If you plan to be involved in ship activities that may not matter to you. (We found we prefer earlier in the season as we like to hang out on deck and watch the scenery to see what is between the ports and not just the ports. We don't do ship activities and eat in lido because of the windows. That's us though).

You have a nice itinery and it keeps you in southern Alaska so it may not be as cold.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Hope your mom's ankle heals quickly. We have been to Alaska at different times of the year (including winter for the Northern Lights). I second what has already been said. Be prepared for cool weather and rain (especially Ketchikan) and you will have a wonderful time. In our experience, regardless of how warm it has been in other ports, our glacier days have always been cool (think wind coming off a giant ice cube), so have a jacket and gloves so that you can really enjoy the scenery. We took the last cruise in September a few years back and had a day of rougher than normal seas. I wouldn't let that stop you from enjoying Alaska though - just be prepared for the possibility of cooler weather. Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Sorry to hear about the broken ankle, but it's great that you both still want to go!

For what it's worth, we will be on the Oosterdam's September 14 - 21 cruise. I researched the temperatures and concluded that they would be in the same general range as Ottawa temperatures a month later, so you should probably consider it being similar to mid to late October Toronto temperatures. Dress in layers and you'll be fine, but most importantly, bring the rain gear!

My bigger concern for you is what you have planned in the way of activities and shore excursions. While a broken ankle might heal by early September, your mother may still experience some mobility issues that would limit her. Even moving about the ship could potentially be a challenge in any type of rough water. I'm not trying to scare you off, but if you haven't already done so, I'd suggest that you have a frank chat with her doctor. Hopefully all will be ok and you'll have a wonderful trip!

I usually do an Alaska cruise every year in September - and the weather is typical of the Pacific north-west - very changeable! It could be rainy, windy, warm, foggy, sunny.... the last cruises of the season sometimes hit stormy weather but once back to the Inside Passage everything calms down again.

Dress in layers and take rain gear.

The Volendam is a great ship, and best itinerary with mid-week departure.

The good side of September is everything in the stores and on the ship is marked way down so the shopping is good. And it's usually a little quieter in ports - kids have gone back to school so families are not cruising then.

Sorry about your Mom, but I'm sure you'll have a great time on your postponed cruise.

September is a fickle time of year for weather in Alaska. Have been there and it was 70's and sunny right after Labor Day, but then a few years ago, we had snow, which was beautiful and added to the 'experience'. As others have said, be prepared for anything and you will be fine. Also - warm foot wear and socks are necessary, at least for me, as if my feet are cold - I am cold. Would recommend that you bring waterproof walking shoes/boots and heavy socks. Not gorgeous and fashion forward but neither are my ear muffs (another necessity). My hiking boots do make a huge difference.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry to hear about your Mother breaking her ankle.

Will she be ready to cruise in a month? I broke my wrist a couple of years ago and had a cast on for 3 months? Best to check with her doctor.

Weather is unpredictable. Some people have had good weather the first part of September and some haven't. We had nothing but rain and cold temperatures when we cruised at that the time of the year.

thanks for the advice and feedback everyone; I appreciate the concern for my mom as well; it is a hairline fracture so we are told she will be mobile in 3 weeks and I don't want to wait till next year.

Looks like we will take some warm clothing and raingear and go! yay!

September is a fickle time of year for weather in Alaska. Have been there and it was 70's and sunny right after Labor Day, but then a few years ago, we had snow, which was beautiful and added to the 'experience'. As others have said, be prepared for anything and you will be fine. Also - warm foot wear and socks are necessary, at least for me, as if my feet are cold - I am cold. Would recommend that you bring waterproof walking shoes/boots and heavy socks. Not gorgeous and fashion forward but neither are my ear muffs (another necessity). My hiking boots do make a huge difference.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.. So sorry your Mom broke her ankle..

I second this suggestion about hiking boots, especially believe your Mom would be more comfortable as her ankle may not heal as fast.. I've sprained both ankles at least 4 times, when I wore heels for work & sprained both at the same time in 2008.. That's when DH agreed to take me to Alaska, but that's a different story.. Now I'm very careful about walking shoes..

When we went to Alaska , I purchased a low cut pair of boots with zippers to wear with heavy socks... The boots with socks kept my ankles stable & my feet warm.. The Dr. might also prescribe an ankle wrap for your Mom..

Agree the weather in Sept. could be cold & rainy, so layers & ear muffs, scarf & gloves would be a necessity..

After talking to your Mom's Dr. you may decide to postpone your trip to late May, 2015...

Hope, your Mom heals fast & you get to go to beautiful Alaska very soon..

P.S. this is similar to the boots I purchased.. Mine also have zippers

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/ditto+by+vaneli+adey+bootie?prodId=250106&activeCats=cat10006,cat20173,dsw12cat1100004

Edited by serendipity1499

thanks for the advice and feedback everyone; I appreciate the concern for my mom as well; it is a hairline fracture so we are told she will be mobile in 3 weeks and I don't want to wait till next year.

Looks like we will take some warm clothing and raingear and go! yay!

Good for you! It's a lovely time of year to go, there are pros and cons, but more pros..... Have a great cruise!

Welcome to CC. So sorry about your Mom's ankle. Hope they fit her with an air boot. They really make it easy to walk. Been there, done that.

Alaska won't be cold but it could be rainy. Just pack layers and rain jacket.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm going back in Sept. Sept. will offer good shopping as they want to sell as much as they can so they don't have to pack it up. I spent enough money up there in May so am staying clear of the shops. :)

Edited by solocanadian

Weather can be fickle, could be warm, could be cold. It will probably be rainy but that is not unusual for Alaska. Just dress in layers and bring rain gear. You should have a wonderful cruise.

With all that it is still our favorite cruise! We will be repeating it for the tenth or eleventh time in late August and early September. The only thing I would suggest for a later September cruise is budget a couple hundred extra in case you need an extra sweater or rain jacket. And bye the bye, DW broke an ankle a couple of years ago. They gave her one of those big awkward boots to wear and she came on the cruise anyway. :)

You could experience some fog, mist and rain in September but I wouldn't expect it to be very cold. There will be shorter daylight hours though. Regarding your Mom's ankle, I hope it heals well and fast. But, if the healing is slower or she is in pain with walking, try not to let the mobility issues restrict you. I would suggest renting a small scooter in advance if she may need it. That way, you can explore the ports without her overdoing it. A scooter or walker with seat may be a possible answer. Enjoy your cruise. The scenery out of Vancouver and the Inside Passage is so spectacular. We see the ships going north as we're on Vancouver Island.

The very first cruise to Alaska for us was in September 1978 and the weather was sunny and warm. We have cruised in September several times and the weather has not been as good as the first time. No matter the month, I always dress in layers. The nicest day we ever had in Ketchikan was in mid-September two years ago. So you never know what the weather will bring IMO. That being said, we are doing an Alaska cruise this September - we love it no matter the weather.

Define "too cold". Since you're from Toronto, you should have a good tolerance for whatever Alaska can throw at you in September.

The first time I was in Alaska in September, it was called their "best cruise of the season", weather-wise. I was there for the Amsterdam's last cruise of the season a couple of years ago, including going all the way to Anchorage, and it was not bad (northern point of view) at all.

YMMV.

I think it's great that you and your mom don't want to delay all you've been looking forward to. So long as her doctor agrees, what's the problem???

I do agree, though, that renting a scooter might be a good idea. It could come in handy, and it would be nice to have if you need it.

A wheelchair is also a possibility, but it would be hard for you to push your mom over the carpeting on the ship. Keep that in mind.

Had wonderful weather on our September cruise to Alaska. NOT typical, but possible. Some evenings were actually at least as pleasant as the Caribbean. Be prepared, though -- bring clothing that you can layer. And a waterproof hooded jacket for each of you.

Enjoy your time in Alaska, I'm very glad you decided to go this year!

We have sailed To Alaska twice, both times in the month of September and each time we had wonderful weather. On our first trip we used our balcony every day except one and on our last cruise which was last September we used our balcony to relax on every day. It was warm and sunny and awesome weather. I took a warm coat and didn't even take it out of our luggage. On the ship I wore fall type clothing. We had lunch on our balcony on our anniversary. Scenery was breathtaking and our tours were rain free. We saw whales and the captain was very excited and slowed the ship down so pictures could be taken. Our best cruise without a doubt. I would have no worries booking in September and just be prepared that it could get colder or a bit rough if Mother Nature decides accordingly. I took a hat, coat, sweater, gloves and warm socks. All stayed in my luggage for the trip. Just wore a sweater and running shoes on tours.

Have a wonderful cruise.

In 2010, we enjoyed the last Alaska cruise of the season and stayed on board the Volendam for the Trans Pacific voyage.

It was foggy the first night, the fog horn sounded most of the night, but then experienced sunshine each day of the Alaskan cruise.

We did not think it was very cold, did not need to wear our winter weight clothing.

Hope your mother's injury heals well and you both enjoy cruising to Alaska on the Volendam.