Television

gelfy666

Yours is such a subjective question it is impossible for anybody other than yourself to give an objective, to you at least, answer. Recommend you spend even less time watching the "box" and enjoy everything else on board/ashore. Best of wishes and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The channels you get on any cruise ship are subject to what the line is prepared to pay for. Must admit we only watch the news channels to catch up with the world.

I think when there are big football matches/weddings/Olympics they might be shown in one of the bars_not the cabin TVs.

Are they all the same sort of thing....on all lines. Probably very similar.

We normally only use the room TV for news and sport and this is generally well catered for. Most lines out of the UK, and even in the Caribbean will have CNN, BBC World, Sky News and Sky Sports news, and US lines will have ESPN as well, and this does sometimes have live premier league football games.

It would need to be too cold to go out on deck or the balcony, and too crowded in the public lounges for us to even contemplate watching any of the on demand films or TV shows.

i only normaly have on from 11pm onwards as i dont sleep alot........ P&O have sky news, bbc news, sky sports news, engage.

just wondered whether all cruise ships have the same.

I only usually watch the tv when in the gym and the modern machines have a tv on each cardiac machine, but its the same feed as goes into the cabins.

On the US lines there can be around 30 channels incl news, movies, sports, entertainments etc but also Discovery channel and such like.

the newer ships Azura and Ventura offer quite a lot of channels (interactive i think it is) to choose from,

i do think they should update the other ships to these levels but that costs money of which they obviously are not willing to pay.

We were on the Ventura last October and they have the interactive TVs in the cabins but the only free channels were either news channels or their promotional channels. If you wanted more you had to pay...£1.99 to see a film like Gone With The Wind/Dr Zhivago and quite a lot of "old stuff".

In July last year we went on a similar cruise with Princess and the choice of free channels/films was very very good. Not just " old stuff" but the latest films.

We spent a few evenings chilling out on the bed watching a very enjoyable film...watching the sea/sky float by...bliss.... then we would perhaps go for something to eat or go to the late show....the choice was there.....at no extra cost.

I have to spend quite a lot of time lying down, it's really nice if there is something I can watch on TV - especially when we have an inside cabin. On Azura, for Christmas 2012, we got into the habit of watching a film together before we changed for dinner.

Its funny, i though the OP asked about channel availability, not to hear arguments of why there shouldn't be a good selection of channels! :rolleyes:

We are those people who actually quite like watching a good film on holiday in bed. In the afternoons I like to go back and watch something for half an hour to have a relax before we get ready and go out. Watching a bit of Telly on holiday doesn't mean you don't get to enjoy everything else - we still catch every show, visit every port, and read 4 books in a week on the balcony, we just easily find time to watch an hour or so of TV if we want to! Do the TV-watching-bashers criticise the sun worshippers with the same vigour :confused:

Anyway, back to the question: on NCL we had a few channels to choose from (celebrity/reality, childrens, several news, Sport 24, Engage (just a mish-mash) and a few other channels with random comedy shows and documentaries. There was also a free film channel with some quite good up to date films, and also classic films. The paid for (on-demand) film selection was extensive but not free (about £3/4 each I think).

On P&O there was BBC World News, Sky News and Sky Sports news, and also Sport 24 - but we were advised that was only in rooms for the world cup. There was some cheap paid per view films that were cheap (£2) but not a big selection and not very new. There were also a selection of free TV shows (a variety of stuff like Doc Martin, Downton etc).

The lack of television channels had no effect on me, I checked out the news but more important to me being in an inside cabin, I checked what the outside held for me that day by tuning into the live webcam as soon as I woke up :D

The lack of television channels had no effect on me, I checked out the news but more important to me being in an inside cabin, I checked what the outside held for me that day by tuning into the live webcam as soon as I woke up :D

I'm so pleased you said that, as I wasn't sure I had read that you could do that with the live webcam, so much easier than sending the other half up to check out what I should be wearing that day i.e. short or long sleeves!!;)

Its funny, i though the OP asked about channel availability, not to hear arguments of why there shouldn't be a good selection of channels! :rolleyes:

We are those people who actually quite like watching a good film on holiday in bed. In the afternoons I like to go back and watch something for half an hour to have a relax before we get ready and go out. Watching a bit of Telly on holiday doesn't mean you don't get to enjoy everything else - we still catch every show, visit every port, and read 4 books in a week on the balcony, we just easily find time to watch an hour or so of TV if we want to! Do the TV-watching-bashers criticise the sun worshippers with the same vigour :confused:

Anyway, back to the question: on NCL we had a few channels to choose from (celebrity/reality, childrens, several news, Sport 24, Engage (just a mish-mash) and a few other channels with random comedy shows and documentaries. There was also a free film channel with some quite good up to date films, and also classic films. The paid for (on-demand) film selection was extensive but not free (about £3/4 each I think).

On P&O there was BBC World News, Sky News and Sky Sports news, and also Sport 24 - but we were advised that was only in rooms for the world cup. There was some cheap paid per view films that were cheap (£2) but not a big selection and not very new. There were also a selection of free TV shows (a variety of stuff like Doc Martin, Downton etc).

Well said.

Yeah I don't think there is anything wrong with watching tv on holiday. I don't but that's because I am in the gym 2 hours a day 1 hour cardio/stretching and 1 hour weights but if I wasn't I would probably use this time chilling in the cabin catching up with the news or a good movie or something interesting on Discovery.

Maybe we should not remind P&O that the World Cup has finished. Sports 24 was available in cabins on Arcadia this week.

I'm surprised that there's not a proper on-demand service on board by now. Well, at the very least on Britannia.

Surely its not that complicated to offer a 'Netflix Lite' or some such. Obvious costs aside of course.

To retro fit AVOD could be quite difficult as I think it would need hard wiring to each cabin but yes any new build should be able to incorporate it quite easily.

It's just if P&O want to pay a hefty fee to licence the programming.