Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

• I have to agree that the sauna on the Koningsdam is terrific. Not much excitement but it has a huge window looking out to the sea. Although the sauna that you were packed in like very happy sardines sounds like fun.

3 hours ago, Edhug55 said:
  • I have to agree that the sauna on the Koningsdam is terrific. Not much excitement but it has a huge window looking out to the sea. Although the sauna that you were packed in like very happy sardines sounds like fun.

Is this off of the mens locker room? I mean do you have to change into a suit then strip in the sauna? Or do you just wear a towel going from the locker room to the sauna?

Happy to chat anytime, Mark

marknewsen1@gmail.com

Small00.26.04.jpg

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

Is the location on the Koningsdam the same as the Vista class?

No, completely different. On the port side but much larger, with big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the sea, three showers and even a bucket full of cold water mounted on the wall - pull the chain if you dare. Plenty of towels and some hooks for your clothes. Still free, single-sex and a big improvement, in my opinion.

Edited by twodjs
spelling
33 minutes ago, twodjs said:

No, completely different. On the port side but much larger, with big floor-to-ceiling windows looking out to the sea, three showers and even a bucket full of cold water mounted on the wall - pull the chain if you dare. Plenty of towels and some hooks for your clothes. Still free, single-sex and a big improvement, in my opinion.

At least the Pinnacle Class are new builds with good facilities.

There are lockers in the changing room and bath robes to use to walk to the sauna which is down the hallway a little way. A somewhat awkward setup but worth the effort.

32 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I like the windows concept - nice to see the sunset at night, or the sun shining in in the middle of the afternoon.

That was a very pleasant surprise. I am a little late to the party of enjoying a sauna on cruises and up to experiencing the fantastic one on the Koningsdam I believe the only other ship that I tried the sauna was on the Noordam which had a very small one, again down the hall from the changing room. I do like the ones that have the sauna right in the changing room such as the Rotterdam but then you forfeit the window. Sure hope to be able to go on another cruise someday soon.

It is a toss up - window vs no window. The older Carnival ships had / have it right. Big windows and side by side sauna / steam. The Vista class on HAL (including Noordam) seem more of an after thought.

On Princess the Ruby / Crown / Carib have nice spacious sauna / steam facilities, albeit with no windows.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Edhug - did you do your Noordam cruise from Australia?

No, that was an Alaska trip from Vancouver. I actually spend most of my time in Fort Lauderdale but thankfully have been here in Australia for the past year. 
  Have you heard whether HAL is going to make vaccines mandatory? I won’t be going on a ship unless everyone is vaccinated. Wanting to do Antarctica early next year.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, billybeachboy said:

Are there any guys on this thread that are sailing on the upcoming UK residents only cruises that are starting next month? If so I'd be keen so know if the sauna/steam facilities are open.

I’m booked on the Disney Magic in July! No confirmation of the sauna is open or closed as yet. I’ll let you know the result! 🙂

13 hours ago, st34 said:

I’m booked on the Disney Magic in July! No confirmation of the sauna is open or closed as yet. I’ll let you know the result! 🙂

I would like to know that as well, I am excited about the Wish. 

I am sailing on the Queen Elizabeth in August so I would be interested to know if the sauna in the men’s changing room is open - I hope it is as I like to chill out and enjoy a bit of banter with like minded guys 😉

On 5/1/2021 at 2:55 PM, st34 said:

the

I sailed on the Magic a couple of times a few years back and although small the mens sauna was excellent 👍

1 hour ago, sunnyjim said:

I am sailing on the Queen Elizabeth in August so I would be interested to know if the sauna in the men’s changing room is open - I hope it is as I like to chill out and enjoy a bit of banter with like minded guys 😉

Sailed on sister ship Victoria and also enjoyed the great sauna with the huge window.

I have just read elsewhere in the forums that the dreaded 'amplification' of RCCL Adventure & Explorer of the Seas has been postponed & that the single sex facilities remain.   (Maybe we can thank COVID & the lack of revenue for RCCL for this?)

On 5/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, billybeachboy said:

I have just read elsewhere in the forums that the dreaded 'amplification' of RCCL Adventure & Explorer of the Seas has been postponed & that the single sex facilities remain.   (Maybe we can thank COVID & the lack of revenue for RCCL for this?)

Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, LiftingDad said:

Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately it seems to be a matter of time before the Voyager- and Freedom-class ships are all subjected to this disservice. Navigator sounds like the worst so far. Not only did they completely remove the original fitness center--they didn't put in proper locker room facilities for the small, cramped, low-ceilinged fitness center that they replaced it with elsewhere on board. And there's apparently not even a thermal suite to replace the lost sauna and steam facilities. We love Voyager class, and I wish they would just leave them alone for those of us who like the ships as they are, and for those who don't, there are plenty of newer ships. In the meantime, once we start cruising again, we will enjoy what's left of the Royal fleet that we care to sail on until we're forced to leave for bluer waters... and ships that still have complimentary, separate sauna and steam facilities.

Have cruised on the Crown , Caribbean Princess . Great steam and sauna set up in the men’s locker room . Private showers and lockers . Had a lot of great conversations in the steam and saunas. My 27 day Sydney to LA on the Emerald Princess in April 2022 just canceled. Disappointed to say the least cause it has the same set up and several guys from Cruise critic and Reddit were going on the cruise. Hope our 15 day B2B on the Caribbean sails over thanksgiving this year . It’s been too long since I’ve had a steam 

On 4/29/2021 at 8:02 AM, LiftingDad said:

Is this off of the mens locker room? I mean do you have to change into a suit then strip in the sauna? Or do you just wear a towel going from the locker room to the sauna?

Happy to chat anytime, Mark

marknewsen1@gmail.com

Small00.26.04.jpg

I’d just wear a towel but wearing a suit is ok too as long as you strip when you get there . Had this one guy come in fully clothed , shoes and socks included. Just strange to say the least 

On 5/3/2021 at 2:22 PM, sunnyjim said:

Had looked at Cunard for transport to England from the US and hang out in England and Europe then catch a cruise home. But both would need to have a sauna area cause I like the banter as well