Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

So glad to see they HAVEN'T updated the Celebrity Solstice class ships to remove the single-sex free sauna in the locker area. The Edge class (their newest) has none. 

Just back from our second Alaska cruise on the Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.There was plenty of available space in their single-sex free sauna (has it been so long that guys have forgotten the sauna exists?). Hope active participation picks up by Thanksgiving time on the Koningsdam in Mexico. Great set-up on that ship with those floor-to-ceiling windows out to the ocean!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, twodjs said:

So glad to see they HAVEN'T updated the Celebrity Solstice class ships to remove the single-sex free sauna in the locker area. The Edge class (their newest) has none. 

Just back from our second Alaska cruise on the Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.There was plenty of available space in their single-sex free sauna (has it been so long that guys have forgotten the sauna exists?). Hope active participation picks up by Thanksgiving time on the Koningsdam in Mexico. Great set-up on that ship with those floor-to-ceiling windows out to the ocean!

Was the sauna empty all week? That's too bad. I'm far from the target demographic of Holland America but a sauna with a view sounds amazing! That's my favorite part about the sauna on NCL's Jewel class of ships. 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, tonygcharles said:

Good to see this thread still running 

Last cruise was end of 2019 

That was on Jewel  .. all facility's where open then 

I'm  going on Jewel OTS again  end of October . Greek islands 

Will report back .. not expecting sauna to be open but🤞

I was Adventure a few months ago and was so disappointed it was closed. I'm going on Carnival next week and I'm fairly certain everything is open. I'm probably doing Jewel OTS in December, so hope you have a great cruise! Can't wait for you to report back. In the normal times, how are the facilities on that class of ships? 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:43 PM, natefish95 said:

I was Adventure a few months ago and was so disappointed it was closed. I'm going on Carnival next week and I'm fairly certain everything is open. I'm probably doing Jewel OTS in December, so hope you have a great cruise! Can't wait for you to report back. In the normal times, how are the facilities on that class of ships? 

Just off the Carnival Pride. The sauna and steam rooms were open although the heat in both was less than optimal.The sauna was consistently 118 degrees F.  Signs were posted that they were for the use of vaccinated passengers although I noted no policing.

Would appreciate news about RCCL's s and s rooms. Are they currently open?

Edited by ouse456
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, celecruise19 said:

Hi twodjs I think we might be on the same boat.

You're right! Same ship, same cruise. I see you've been on the Celebrity Summit. Quite a bit different, but Koningsdam has the most variety of the Holland America ships. And a much better free sauna than their older ships. Great way to spend Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on Royal Allure of The Seas last month (September 2021) and the spa facilities are as follows:

• NO separate men's steam or sauna. 
  • Separate men's locker room with showers, but only accessible if using paid spa services. Showers were closed for COVID reasons during my sailing.
  • Coed "Thermal Spa" had just re-opened with restrictions (pre-scheduled 1-hour time blocks) on my sailing. Paid $120 for a one week pass. The restrictions (1-hour time limit eased but not the need for reservations) eased up some as the week went by.
  • Coed Thermal Spa consists of two steam rooms and a dry sauna, and heated loungers in the area in front of the saunas. 
Edited by TexasCruiseDude

On 10/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, spaBme said:

Going on RC Mariner of the Seas 02NOV. Anybody know if sauna/steam is open/free?

Thanks!

As far as I understand, the separate steam/sauna facilities in the fitness center locker rooms were preserved during the last renovations of Mariner, unlike what they did to Navigator (and plan to do to the rest of the sister ships, sadly). So they would still be free. Sounds like ships do have saunas open, but it may vary by ship and sailing what the policies are. I've been seeing reports that they are open on many ships.

11 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

As far as I understand, the separate steam/sauna facilities in the fitness center locker rooms were preserved during the last renovations of Mariner, unlike what they did to Navigator (and plan to do to the rest of the sister ships, sadly). So they would still be free. Sounds like ships do have saunas open, but it may vary by ship and sailing what the policies are. I've been seeing reports that they are open on many ships.

Thanks!

On 9/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, tonygcharles said:

Update

Just off Jewel of the sea 

Sauna/ steam room  closed for the whole week

Ship returning to Miami from Cyprus now 

On 10/31/2021 at 3:32 AM, tonygcharles said:

Update

Sauna/ steam room  closed for the whole week

Ship returning to Miami from Cyprus now 

I hope Royal begins to open their facilities, but probably not until after January...

How was the ship other than that? I'll be on the Jewel in December. 

7 hours ago, natefish95 said:

I hope Royal begins to open their facilities, but probably not until after January...

How was the ship other than that? I'll be on the Jewel in December. 

We had a great cruise.  Our first since pandemic. 

Jewel  is beginning to show her age 

But still good . The price & itinerary  was excellent.  

Windjammer was  v busy at times 

You can't  pick anything up yourself 

Think it will be v difficult if they raise  capacity 

13 hours ago, tonygcharles said:

We had a great cruise.  Our first since pandemic. 

Jewel  is beginning to show her age 

But still good . The price & itinerary  was excellent.  

Windjammer was  v busy at times 

You can't  pick anything up yourself 

Think it will be v difficult if they raise  capacity 

I did Adventure from Nassau and a Carnival cruise, which was all still self-serve and sauna/steam room was open (and active), so I'm curious to see how this will compare at a higher capacity. 

Men's Steam/Sauna was open on the 5-night 10/30/2021 sailing of RCL Serenade. However, because of social distancing (as indicated by temporary signage), access required the purchase of a $69 (+18% gratuity) thermal suite pass for the 5 nights.

Men's Steam/Sauna reportedly was closed on the 4-night 11/1/2021 sailing of RCL Independence. Spa reception did not know when they would reopen.

CoEd Thermal suite on the 7-night 10/23/2021 sailing of Celebrity Edge was fully open.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, twodjs said:

You're right! Same ship, same cruise. 

On 10/5/2021 at 6:54 PM, celecruise19 said:

Maybe before the cruise I will meet others on the koningsdam on nov 21. 

We've got space in that nice sauna for more! Celecruise19, email me hwfishie372@gmail dot com and we can find a time to meet on the day we board.

On 11/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, Nado44 said:

Men's Steam/Sauna was open on the 5-night 10/30/2021 sailing of RCL Serenade. However, because of social distancing (as indicated by temporary signage), access required the purchase of a $69 (+18% gratuity) thermal suite pass for the 5 nights.

Men's Steam/Sauna reportedly was closed on the 4-night 11/1/2021 sailing of RCL Independence. Spa reception did not know when they would reopen.

CoEd Thermal suite on the 7-night 10/23/2021 sailing of Celebrity Edge was fully open.

Wow, that's a nice new development--take the free steam/sauna and charge for it anyway under the guise of health and safety. As if it isn't bad enough they are taking away complimentary amenities on the older ships and not building them into the new ones. Now they have to find a way to charge for the free ones! How exactly did they control the use of the men's steam/sauna, since it's in the locker area?

• Like 2

Just checked onto Royal’s Mariner. Steam/sauna closed. VERY irritating, since when I booked the cruise, the agent TWICE checked and said that they would be open. GRRRRRRR! They offered me 4 cocktails in compensation——what a joke.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, tonygcharles said:

Were the facilities operational on Jewel?

No

Unfortunately not

That was the last week sailing from Cyprus 

She's now sailing back to the US empty of passengers 

On 9/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, tonygcharles said:

Update