New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

The Dive-In is located a few feet from the indoor pool and provides window take-out service (trays).  Dive In Menu   There are lots of tables nearby to eat or you can take your tray of food back to your stateroom.  The nearby tables have stewards offering free iced tea, lemonade, and ice water.  In addition, bar servers from the pool bar (a one minute walk away) will take drink orders.  Pool Bars Menu

Typical Vista Class Dive In

image.jpeg.bddbfbf8e053b00f71f837275b58da11.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Dive-In is located a few feet from the indoor pool and provides window take-out service (trays).  Dive In Menu   There are lots of tables nearby to eat or you can take your tray of food back to your stateroom.  The nearby tables have stewards offering free iced tea, lemonade, and ice water.  In addition, bar servers from the pool bar (a one minute walk away) will take drink orders.  Pool Bars Menu

Typical Vista Class Dive In

image.jpeg.bddbfbf8e053b00f71f837275b58da11.jpeg

They have great burgers and fries

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Questions about the coffee:  We love strong, hot coffee.  How is the coffie on the Lido?  I know I can buy it from their coffee counter for a price but its about $6 per day for 30 days.  Please advise.

The coffee certainly isn't what I would call strong. It has gotten better (drinkable) on recent cruises.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ONCRUISEMODE said:

Question:  Is there conditioner in the room?  Sometimes they have a conditioning shampoo.  I am looking for stand alone conditioner.  Thank you in advance.  

There is a dispenser in your shower that will dispense the big three...all in separate dispensers.....shampoo, conditioner and body wash......unlimited supply.

The brand is Elemis. It's from the UK.  Not cheap. Her Majesty loves it and Santa has been known to put some of the Elemis products under the xmas tree.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

There is a dispenser in your shower that will dispense the big three...all in separate dispensers.....shampoo, conditioner and body wash......unlimited supply.

The brand is Elemis. It's from the UK.  Not cheap. Her Majesty loves it and Santa has been known to put some of the Elemis products under the xmas tree.

thank you.  One less thing to pack.  LOL

• Like 1

Does the spa area do eyelash extension fill-ins? Our spa options are not showing for our cruise due to an itinerary change. We sail in 2 weeks. Might need to make some hard decisions 🙂

6 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

The outlet in the bathroom is for shavers only. I know I can’t use my hair dryer when plugged in it. Are you sure a waterpick can be used? I didn’t use it for my electric toothbrush out of caution. Also because the plug was near the ceiling.

Not correct. The outlet in the bathroom can be used for shavers, tooth brushes, and Water Pics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Not correct. The outlet in the bathroom can be used for shavers, tooth brushes, and Water Pics. 

I know the label on the outlet indicates "Shavers Only." I didn't use it for my toothbrush out of caution.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@terrydtx Dive In does not have tacos. See menu posted by @Crew News

20240305_154014.thumb.jpg.ed494f2784202ce379388d3e1ead23e7.jpg

No, the Dive In doesn't, but on the Westerdam last September there was a taco bar set up near there every day. Seemed very popular, but we didn't try it.

45 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

I know the label on the outlet indicates "Shavers Only." I didn't use it for my toothbrush out of caution.

I asked, out of caution. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

And it also fits my night light!

My experience is the same as Ruth.  My husband uses it for his electric toothbrush and waterpik with no problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

No, the Dive In doesn't, but on the Westerdam last September there was a taco bar set up near there every day. Seemed very popular, but we didn't try it.

Yes and it's good. But not all ships have it there (some it's a station in Lido buffet) and not part of Dive In.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can submit a transfer form w/in 60 (maybe 90) days of booking so long as it's not after final payment due date. The time frame is on the form. Your TA should have the form.

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes and yes. We booked a cruise for later this year directly with HAL when a favourite cabin became available; we wanted to quickly grab it before anyone else booked it. We then transferred the booking to the big box store, and will receive a $925 digital gift card at the conclusion of the cruise.

Thanks.

LAX

We have pre-paid crew appreciation on our cruise this summer. What does this include? Will it cover the 18% service charge for beverage purchases that are outside our drinks package and speciality restaurant bookings? TIA. 

34 minutes ago, BaldiePete said:

We have pre-paid crew appreciation on our cruise this summer. What does this include? Will it cover the 18% service charge for beverage purchases that are outside our drinks package and speciality restaurant bookings? TIA. 

No, none of that.  Service charges on drinks (or drinks with prices in excess of any drink package you may have), specialty dining, etc... are totally different from the daily service charge you've prepaid.  This is pretty much the norm on most main line cruise lines.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BaldiePete said:

Pre-paid crew appreciation does not include the service charge for beverage purchases or speciality restaurant charges outside the HIA package. 

As a side note, if you order a drink that is above your HIA package limit of $11 (standard) or $15 (if you had an early booking bonus package) they will charge you the amount above your drink cost limit plus 18% on the overage. The 18% would also be charged on any wine packages or alcohol related events you attend, like a paid wine tasting, and on spa services, Half Moon Cay off ship purchases (not included with HIA beverage package and in room mini bar or room service beverage purchases. 

It would include the amount noted in the excerpt below (from the HAL frequently asked questions site)

For sailings departing on or after February 14, 2024, the daily Crew Appreciation is $17.00* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $19.00* per guest per day for suite guests.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

No, none of that.  Service charges on drinks (or drinks with prices in excess of any drink package you may have), specialty dining, etc... are totally different from the daily service charge you've prepaid.  This is pretty much the norm on most main line cruise lines.

We have a signature beverage package which includes drinks up to $11. Will an 18% service charge be added, so for an $11 drink that is included, would we still have the $1.98 service charge added to our onboard account?

17 minutes ago, BaldiePete said:

We have a signature beverage package which includes drinks up to $11. Will an 18% service charge be added, so for an $11 drink that is included, would we still have the $1.98 service charge added to our onboard account?

No, the beverage package includes the service charge on the beverage. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

No, the beverage package includes the service charge on the beverage. 

But watch out for that $12 drink and the $1.18 that will likely show up on the shipboard account!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1