New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

On 10/3/2019 at 9:40 PM, RuthC said:

They have to be the same drink, and are served at the same time. HAL doesn't care who drinks them. So, if you and DH want the same thing, have at it. 

On our spring Oosterdam cruise, and last year’s Eurodam cruise, the policy for happy hour specials for beer/cider was that they did not have to be the same drink, but they had to be the same PRICE.  Different servers may interpret the policy differently. 

Edited by SeagoingMom

2 hours ago, SeagoingMom said:

On our spring Oosterdam cruise, and last year’s Eurodam cruise, the policy for happy hour specials for beer/cider was that they did not have to be the same drink, but they had to be the same PRICE.  Different servers may interpret the policy differently. 

In July on the Noordam the drinks had to be the same thing, price didn't matter.

There may be some variance, with or without the Beverage Manager's knowledge or consent. 

For medical reasons I am allowed one drink a day on cruises (much less at home). On one cruise I was allowed to pay for the two drinks, but get the second drink the next night. I have no idea who decided that was all right, but I wasn't about to argue, either. It is clearly not the policy. 

17 hours ago, SeagoingMom said:

Official policy aside, this was our experience . We ordered different but same price beers . Another time we asked for the second beer(s) to be left unopened . That was also done for us . Appreciated . 

14 hours ago, RuthC said:

There may be some variance, with or without the Beverage Manager's knowledge or consent. 

For medical reasons I am allowed one drink a day on cruises (much less at home). On one cruise I was allowed to pay for the two drinks, but get the second drink the next night. I have no idea who decided that was all right, but I wasn't about to argue, either. It is clearly not the policy. 

Ruth, since you are a HAL legend, I think you get special treatment over and above the rest of us. LOL

Not being critical just happy that HAL accommodates your needs and medical requirements. Curious about what that one drink per day on a cruise  is?

34 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Ruth, since you are a HAL legend, I think you get special treatment over and above the rest of us. LOL

Not being critical just happy that HAL accommodates your needs and medical requirements. Curious about what that one drink per day on a cruise  is?

Everyone was getting that deal, though. It wasn't because I'm 'speshul', or anything. 

On cruises I drink the lemon drop. I learned of it right here on CC, and had the opportunity to try it once. Delicious! And I can't make it at home, sooo, I cruise a lot! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Everyone was getting that deal, though. It wasn't because I'm 'speshul', or anything. 

On cruises I drink the lemon drop. I learned of it right here on CC, and had the opportunity to try it once. Delicious! And I can't make it at home, sooo, I cruise a lot! 

My DW loves my lemon drop recipe. I use 1 part fresh lemon juice to 3 parts lemon vodka and 1 part limoncello. (makes 2 drinks) We call it an Italian lemon drop, first had it in Positano Italy. Our favorite Italian restaurant in San Antonio uses tequila instead of the vodka and calls it an Italian margarita. We may have our Italian lemon drop this afternoon and make a toast to you. Have a great Sunday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richstowe said:

Official policy aside, this was our experience . We ordered different but same price beers . Another time we asked for the second beer(s) to be left unopened . That was also done for us . Appreciated . 

It seems you and many others have found, as we have, that staff members’ willingness to accommodate passenger requests varies. This is why generally on these boards posters recommend developing a cordial relationship with particular staff members who seem accommodating, then, of course, tipping accordingly. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeagoingMom said:

It seems you and many others have found, as we have, that staff members’ willingness to accommodate passenger requests varies. This is why generally on these boards posters recommend developing a cordial relationship with particular staff members who seem accommodating, then, of course, tipping accordingly. 😁

Cash tips always helps

We are about to leave on the Noordam out of Vancouver in 6 days on Oct 13. We are in a standard verandah cabin, deck 6.  With all the different class ships in HAL, I don't trust my past cruise experiences on HAL to predice the following for the Noordam.

• Are all electrical outlets equipped for 3-prong/110 volt or should we bring adapters?  
  • I know we can't use our own power strip.  Can we get a power strip or some other device to set up additional outlets if we ask?  We have several electronic devices to keep charged up. 
  • I know shampoo is provided.  Is hair conditioner also provided?  Or is it just shampoo and body wash in two wall containers?    

Thank you so much!

14 minutes ago, ToXS said:

We are about to leave on the Noordam out of Vancouver in 6 days on Oct 13. We are in a standard verandah cabin, deck 6.  With all the different class ships in HAL, I don't trust my past cruise experiences on HAL to predice the following for the Noordam.

• Are all electrical outlets equipped for 3-prong/110 volt or should we bring adapters?  
  • I know we can't use our own power strip.  Can we get a power strip or some other device to set up additional outlets if we ask?  We have several electronic devices to keep charged up. 
  • I know shampoo is provided.  Is hair conditioner also provided?  Or is it just shampoo and body wash in two wall containers?    

Thank you so much!

All HAL ships we have sailed on have a 220v European 2 prong plug and a standard 3 prong American plug.  We bring  two 10' light extension cords.  One has two 3 plug outlets.  It gets plugged into the 110v outlet.  The second cord gets a 2 prong European adapter affixed to the plug and plugged into the 220v outlet.  Most modern chargers and small transformers will run on 110v-220v.  Just check the data plate.  We also will daisy chain them together if we want power on both sides of the bed.

Re: conditioner, yes.  It's in the middle dispenser in the shower.

5 hours ago, ToXS said:

I know we can't use our own power strip. 

You can bring a power strip as long as it isn't surge protected. There have been reports of some having any strip with a three-prong plug confiscated, so if you have any with just a two-prong plug, take those. I take a three-outlet "tap" rather than an extension cord or power strip.

20 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You can bring a power strip as long as it isn't surge protected. There have been reports of some having any strip with a three-prong plug confiscated, so if you have any with just a two-prong plug, take those. I take a three-outlet "tap" rather than an extension cord or power strip.

This is the power hub we used on the Noordam in July with no problems. Bought it from Amazon.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:16 AM, rjhoward13 said:

We were below a galley on the Noorsdam last year and it was the worst. The ship was full so no remedy. If you can change do so. The staff was great but had no options.

Do you remember what cabin number and deck you were?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2014 at 8:59 AM, capncarp said:

OK, I see the unlimited water/soda, and I see the 1 bottle per passenger for wine, but what are the rules about beer?:confused:

I heard this policy changed, no more soda or bottle water can be brought on board. Can anyone confirm?

On 8/20/2014 at 9:56 AM, glomarrone said:

Do ocean view rooms on the Amsterdam have fridges in them? My husband needs one for his meds.

Let guest services know and they should supply one if there isn't one already

Edited by KABUBAR
Spelling

30 minutes ago, anderson1203 said:

I heard this policy changed, no more soda or bottle water can be brought on board. Can anyone confirm?

Nope, you can still bring on water and soda.  It has to be brought on board with you (carry on).

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Nope, you can still bring on water and soda.  It has to be brought on board with you (carry on).

On our recent long Maasdam cruise, we brought generous quantities of soda onboard at various stops along the cruise route. 

24 minutes ago, KABUBAR said:

Let guest services know and they should supply one if there isn't one already

The fridges are not that cold.  Not recommended for meds.  They can be stored at the medical centre, no problem.

FYI - Ocean view rooms on that ship do not have a fridge and while one will be supplied it’s at the cost of $2 per day.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, rboysinmt said:

only one bottle of wine per person 750 ml. 

This is not correct. An adult may bring aboard as many 750 ml bottles of wine as he/she desires. One will be allowed for cabin use without paying a corkage fee. 
All the remaining bottles are allowed, but subject to a corkage fee of $18/bottle---regardless of where consumed. 

• Thanks 1