Jump to content

New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"


Host Walt
 Share

Recommended Posts

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, kazu said:

 

The fridges are not that cold.  Not recommended for meds.  They can be stored at the medical centre, no problem.

 

FYI - Ocean view rooms on that ship do not have a fridge and while one will be supplied it’s at the cost of $2 per day.

Which ocean view rooms do not have a fridge??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, metairiegal said:

Which ocean view rooms do not have a fridge??

 

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

 

I read kazu's comment to say that NONE of them do.

 

Correct.  None of the insides or OV’s (in other words any cabin that does NOT have a balcony) on the S & R ships have fridges unless you opt to rent one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

 

Correct.  None of the insides or OV’s (in other words any cabin that does NOT have a balcony) on the S & R ships have fridges unless you opt to rent one.

Not sure what the S&R means.  We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in an oceanview.  So, no fridge for us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, metairiegal said:

Not sure what the S&R means.  We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in an oceanview.  So, no fridge for us?

 

S & R ships are the smaller, older ships in the fleet (ie. Maasdam, Volendam, Veendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam).

 

Nieuw Amsterdam is  a Signature class ship and every room on that ship has a fridge - no worries 😉 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

S & R ships are the smaller, older ships in the fleet (ie. Maasdam, Volendam, Veendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam).

 

Nieuw Amsterdam is  a Signature class ship and every room on that ship has a fridge - no worries 😉 

 

Thanks for that info!   

Edited by metairiegal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to custom search but still not getting it.  It’s been 3 years since going on HAL, planning on spending more time in cabin.  Can someone please tell me what a non orange peon (lol) window cabin,  Can order/write in on the breakfast room service menu? Please 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sprinkles said:

Trying to custom search but still not getting it.  It’s been 3 years since going on HAL, planning on spending more time in cabin.  Can someone please tell me what a non orange peon (lol) window cabin,  Can order/write in on the breakfast room service menu? Please 

I was on HAL earlier this year, in the lowliest inside cabin money can buy.  We wrote in our breakfast order for room service every morning.  Best alarm clock EVER!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jamiejjj said:

I was on HAL earlier this year, in the lowliest inside cabin money can buy.  We wrote in our breakfast order for room service every morning.  Best alarm clock EVER!!

Perfect, so I can still write in a egg and cheese omelette !  Yah.

 

ok another crumb question. I’ve never been on this class. But just to confirm, NO laundry rooms at all on the Eurodam?  I know the answer because I just poured over the deck plans, just can’t believe my eyes, lol.  Okay guess this will encourage me to make four stars.  Does HAL still have the stuff a bag thing?  I’ve also been noticing $49 package deal.  What does that include ?  Sorry, know I could search more, but booked this last minute thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, sprinkles said:

Perfect, so I can still write in a egg and cheese omelette !  Yah.

 

ok another crumb question. I’ve never been on this class. But just to confirm, NO laundry rooms at all on the Eurodam?  I know the answer because I just poured over the deck plans, just can’t believe my eyes, lol.  Okay guess this will encourage me to make four stars.  Does HAL still have the stuff a bag thing?  I’ve also been noticing $49 package deal.  What does that include ?  Sorry, know I could search more, but booked this last minute thanks

 

No self serve laundry on the Eurodam.

Yes, HAL still has the stuff a bag.

The $49 package is the unlimited laundry package Which includes laundry and pressing (like your stuff a bag deal).  Dry cleaning is not included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you,

 

now another question.  I got my guarantee cabin assignment yesterday.  Back to back same cabin.  Fully obstructed 4076, but thrilled with location and bathtub.  Now at 10 am and 10:08 got emails from HAL telling me my cabin has changed and to re print docs for both cruises.  Logged on and no change.

 

First time using PCC, didn’t want to bother him.  Called HAL, was told they would transfer me to my PCC and was immediately transferred.  Put on hold over 10 minutes and promptly disconnected , lol (yes I’m laughing, Anticipation is killing me, personally an “upgrade” to under BBKing lounge doesn’t thrill me,

 

So I called my PCC and he is on vacation, called the person his message said to call.  She had a message saying swamped, only working till 2:30pm and might not be able to return calls today.

 

So, has anyone every felt with this.  If they made the changes shouldn’t,t the website show it?  Do I dare care HAL back and ask to speak to a supervisor?  Argghh I know I have a cabin “somewhere”. But I was happy, why give me a cabin yesterday then tell me it’s changed, but not tell me to where!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sprinkles said:

Thank you,

 

now another question.  I got my guarantee cabin assignment yesterday.  Back to back same cabin.  Fully obstructed 4076, but thrilled with location and bathtub.  Now at 10 am and 10:08 got emails from HAL telling me my cabin has changed and to re print docs for both cruises.  Logged on and no change.

 

First time using PCC, didn’t want to bother him.  Called HAL, was told they would transfer me to my PCC and was immediately transferred.  Put on hold over 10 minutes and promptly disconnected , lol (yes I’m laughing, Anticipation is killing me, personally an “upgrade” to under BBKing lounge doesn’t thrill me,

 

So I called my PCC and he is on vacation, called the person his message said to call.  She had a message saying swamped, only working till 2:30pm and might not be able to return calls today.

 

So, has anyone every felt with this.  If they made the changes shouldn’t,t the website show it?  Do I dare care HAL back and ask to speak to a supervisor?  Argghh I know I have a cabin “somewhere”. But I was happy, why give me a cabin yesterday then tell me it’s changed, but not tell me to where!

It could be that the message about your cabin being changed was supposed to be sent before you saw your cabin assignment.

 

We most often sail with a guarantee and we receive the change of cabin assignment message, but often I've been on the HAL site and found the change before I received the email.

 

HTH, and enjoy your cruise.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Btimmer said:

It could be that the message about your cabin being changed was supposed to be sent before you saw your cabin assignment.

 

We most often sail with a guarantee and we receive the change of cabin assignment message, but often I've been on the HAL site and found the change before I received the email.

 

HTH, and enjoy your cruise.

 

Yup Burian, you are 100% correct, the fill in PCC just called and told me that.  Ok calming down now,  I haven’t booked a guarantee in probably 15 years when HAL put under the showroom on the Oosterdam, lol.  Okay back to happily ironing and packing.

 

BUT since I’m being a pest.  I can,t remember does the spa sell one day passes or only the week long.  And can’t remember do I get a three star discount if I book on board.  Used to sail with parents who where four star and seems like Dad always bought it for us (this is my first time sailing 3 stars).

 

Also, I booked the PG for full price, PCC said they refund my discount on my shipboard statement, is this true.  And while on a roll, does obstructed view have a refrigerator?  Thanks all

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, sprinkles said:

Yup Burian, you are 100% correct, the fill in PCC just called and told me that.  Ok calming down now,  I haven’t booked a guarantee in probably 15 years when HAL put under the showroom on the Oosterdam, lol.  Okay back to happily ironing and packing.

 

BUT since I’m being a pest.  I can,t remember does the spa sell one day passes or only the week long.  And can’t remember do I get a three star discount if I book on board.  Used to sail with parents who where four star and seems like Dad always bought it for us (this is my first time sailing 3 stars).

 

Also, I booked the PG for full price, PCC said they refund my discount on my shipboard statement, is this true.  And while on a roll, does obstructed view have a refrigerator?  Thanks all

 

You're welcome.

 

I can help with the day pass question.  Yes there are one day passes available.  I don't remember the discounts; just check in the booklet in your stateroom after boarding.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

Yup Burian, you are 100% correct, the fill in PCC just called and told me that.  Ok calming down now,  I haven’t booked a guarantee in probably 15 years when HAL put under the showroom on the Oosterdam, lol.  Okay back to happily ironing and packing.

 

BUT since I’m being a pest.  I can,t remember does the spa sell one day passes or only the week long.  And can’t remember do I get a three star discount if I book on board.  Used to sail with parents who where four star and seems like Dad always bought it for us (this is my first time sailing 3 stars).

 

Also, I booked the PG for full price, PCC said they refund my discount on my shipboard statement, is this true.  And while on a roll, does obstructed view have a refrigerator?  Thanks all

 

Yes you will have a refrigerator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

Thank you,

 

now another question.  I got my guarantee cabin assignment yesterday.  Back to back same cabin.  Fully obstructed 4076, but thrilled with location and bathtub.  Now at 10 am and 10:08 got emails from HAL telling me my cabin has changed and to re print docs for both cruises.  Logged on and no change.

 

First time using PCC, didn’t want to bother him.  Called HAL, was told they would transfer me to my PCC and was immediately transferred.  Put on hold over 10 minutes and promptly disconnected , lol (yes I’m laughing, Anticipation is killing me, personally an “upgrade” to under BBKing lounge doesn’t thrill me,

 

So I called my PCC and he is on vacation, called the person his message said to call.  She had a message saying swamped, only working till 2:30pm and might not be able to return calls today.

 

So, has anyone every felt with this.  If they made the changes shouldn’t,t the website show it?  Do I dare care HAL back and ask to speak to a supervisor?  Argghh I know I have a cabin “somewhere”. But I was happy, why give me a cabin yesterday then tell me it’s changed, but not tell me to where!

 

Check your luggage tags.  They change before your docs, usually.

 

If the cabin number is the same, I think HAL just sent the e after you found your cabin as Btimmer says.

If you want to be safe - double check the luggage tags tomorrow morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sprinkles said:

Also, I booked the PG for full price, PCC said they refund my discount on my shipboard statement, is this true.  

 

Yes. It will appear as a credit in your onboard statement as a Loyalty Discount.  Some people have reported it didn’t show up so they had to go to Guest Services but I have never had a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sprinkles said:

BUT since I’m being a pest.  I can,t remember does the spa sell one day passes or only the week long.  And can’t remember do I get a three star discount if I book on board.

 

I don’t recall if they have one day passes but you don’t get a discount for being a 3-star mariner.  (Or any other mariner for that matter.)  Having said that, however, I believe I’ve read reports where you can purchase the week at a discount in advance within your booking.  It used to be that the discounts were only available when you board but, from what I’ve read, that might be going away.

 

You sound very excited.  That’s nice to see.  Have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute!

Edited by *Miss G*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you miss G, I am.  This is just too much fun, getting off one cruise and saying heck let’s just wash the clothes and repack , lol.   Thanks for the Spa Info, might book one for the first week and see if it’s worth it, since we make the most out of our port days.  Thinking back, maybe Dad used to get my sister and I discounts on couples massages, or signature treatments, it’s been awhile. 

 

Thanks everybody.

 

okay so yes still on a roll (and ironing). I know food is subjective.  But thoughts on Tamarind?  I’m a big seafood lover, DH will do fish and shrimp (no lobster, crab).

 

Also does HAL still give away the tiles at the repeater lunch?  Seems like I sailed the Oosterdam so many times I quit going.  But new hubby and new ship lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, sprinkles said:

Thank you miss G, I am.  This is just too much fun, getting off one cruise and saying heck let’s just wash the clothes and repack , lol.   Thanks for the Spa Info, might book one for the first week and see if it’s worth it, since we make the most out of our port days.  Thinking back, maybe Dad used to get my sister and I discounts on couples massages, or signature treatments, it’s been awhile. 

 

Thanks everybody.

 

okay so yes still on a roll (and ironing). I know food is subjective.  But thoughts on Tamarind?  I’m a big seafood lover, DH will do fish and shrimp (no lobster, crab).

 

Also does HAL still give away the tiles at the repeater lunch?  Seems like I sailed the Oosterdam so many times I quit going.  But new hubby and new ship lol.

The Tamarind is fabulous for Asian food lovers.  It's our favorite specialty restaurant.  For seafood, consider the Sel de Mer pop up.

 

The tiles are typically given at the Mariner lunch, but you can request one at the Front Desk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, everyone has been so nice.  Okay so a few more silly questions.  It’s been a LONG time since doing a b2b and new hubby (newer cruiser this will be his third, lol is bugging me about stuff I don’t remember, or might have changed).   But anyway, if I buy booze on the ship or bring on from port (1st segment) Will it get delivered our stateroom the last night of 1st segment? Or will they hold it until the end of our second cruise?

 

Also if we choose to get off in San Diego (which I remember that terminal being a nightmare ) on turnover day.  Will we get an “in transit pass”.  Meaning can I leave the passports in the cabin safe and when we return to ship (only talking about getting off for a few hours).  If the “cattle call” is still going on, do we just bypass all that (other then the security line)?

 

And last question for now.  1st segment embarkation day.  Taking a chance and flying in the day of cruise (I know, I never usually do this, but it’s a short non stop flight with many back ups to still make ship).  Land in San Diego at 8:45 am.  Got HAL transfers.  So we can take the transfer and won’t see the luggage again till it’s sent to cabin correct?

 

Then planning on taking the hop on hop off bus to kill some time, have lunch in old town and pick up a few bottles of wine.  Even being elite on Princess, I prefer to have lunch on land and like to get to ship around 2:00pm.  Hence the hop on hop off bus. Especially not being 4stars.  So question is, would 3:00 pm be the latest we could arrive back at ship for 5:00 pm sailing?  I think I just read in passenger contract (which I was reading for fun, after a small disagreement with a new cruiser two weeks ago). That we are required to be at the ship a minimum of 2 hours before sailing?  Does this pertain to the in-transit passengers as well?

 

ok hand getting tired, so will take all advice given ,

 

Thanks, Happy Sailing Everybody

Edited by sprinkles
Content
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, sprinkles said:

Thanks, everyone has been so nice.  Okay so a few more silly questions.  It’s been a LONG time since doing a b2b and new hubby (newer cruiser this will be his third, lol is bugging me about stuff I don’t remember, or might have changed).   But anyway, if I buy booze on the ship or bring on from port (1st segment) Will it get delivered our stateroom the last night of 1st segment? Or will they hold it until the end of our second cruise?

 

As of late 2018, they delivered both our ship-shop, and on-shore, purchased booze to our cabin the night before turn-around day.  My understanding is the the ship's passenger liquor locker has to be empty for turn-around day.  Yup, the B2B still has a working loophole.  :)

 

Yes, my understanding is that the "in-transit" ticket is basically a "skip-the-line" pass, but we didn't get off the ship on our B2B, so I defer to the more experienced.  I have seen many "all aboard" times for most cruise lines depending upon where you see it (so inconsistent), so I would ask the front desk during your first segment what the current/local policy is.  It might be documented in your turnaround letter, but maybe not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been many years since I've sailed with HAL and don't really have the patience to search many things. Do they have Beverage packages, about how much per day, if they do, and how much are gratuities? We have the Montreal to FLL cruise booked for next Oct and don't want to wait until then to possibly also book Japan for Apr 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...