Emerald Princess Aft PH Suite vs. NCL Jewel "Haven" PH

Cruisin'Jenny2

I have never been on a Princess ship and I haven't been on Jewel since it was brand new. Now I need to depart out of Houston and these two are my choices.

Can anyone who is familiar with one or both of these ships and or cabin-types comment on the pros and cons to help me decide???

I"m not interested in eating in main dining room - only specialty restaurants. I'd like recommendations on this as well. What’s up with the “Suite” Mimosa breakfast at Sabatini’s? Are there other “Suite Perks” I should know about to help me decide?

Thanks!

Jen

I have never been on a Princess ship and I haven't been on Jewel since it was brand new. Now I need to depart out of Houston and these two are my choices.

Can anyone who is familiar with one or both of these ships and or cabin-types comment on the pros and cons to help me decide???

I"m not interested in eating in main dining room - only specialty restaurants. I'd like recommendations on this as well. What’s up with the “Suite” Mimosa breakfast at Sabatini’s? Are there other “Suite Perks” I should know about to help me decide?

Thanks!

Jen

As a suite passenger on Princess (that means full suite, not mini), you will enjoy breakfast each morning in Sabatini's, free laundry, a mini bar setup with water, soft drinks, beer and booze (you can switch some of it for other choices), VCR with selection of DVD's in your cabin, an internet allowance, canapes, upgraded toiletries and a two hour "lounge" almost every night with assorted hors d'ouvres and a specialty drink. The drink is not free.

From what I understand, suites and suite benefits are much better on NCL. Check both websites for all pertinent information. That way, you'll have a better understanding of what each cruise line offers.

With NCL you will have much of the same perks as what I am seeing here on Princess boards. However, you will also get butler/concierge service, you can enjoy breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant. NCL however doesn't include a mini-bar set up unless you are in the Owner's Suite or Garden Villa's (3-6 bottles of liquor). NCL does not include free laundry or internet. With NCL you can order pretty much anything off the MDR menu and have it delivered by butler for sit down meal in room or balcony, and there is an expanded room service menu just for suites. If you order from the multiple speciality restaurants you will pay the upcharge like everyone else. You will likely end up paying extra for gratuities as both butlers and concerige are not included in the designated service charge/per day as other staff are.

Otherwise, much the same - flowers in room, fruit, canapes daily, bathrobe and upgraded toiletries, priority embark/disembark including at tender ports. The embark priority lounge is just for suite passengers - very intimate - no fighting for a seat with the multiple elites/platinums. Includes non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. There is a cocktail party with free drinks and canapes with officers for suite passengers. This is over and above what they do for repeat customer events like the Captains Circle or Lattitudes on NCL.

I loved the aft facing PH on the NCL Dawn, and I am looking forward to a similar cabin next spring on Princess. It will be fun to compare...

edit: p.s. Also if you are in a NCL haven suite - even higher level of suite with it's own private courtyard/pool sitting area with butler service - I haven't experienced that - but it is a nice perk.

Edited by cpcanuck

Unless you are at least a platinum member of the Captain's Circle, I don't believe suite passengers get any free internet minutes. Those went away a couple of years ago, unfortunately.

I knew they took away unlimited, but didn't realize they eliminated it completely.

I've sailed in suites on both. NCL's suites (especially the Haven) are more of a ship-within-a-ship experience.

That said, I would still pick Princess since I found that I preferred a breakfast/lunch menu that changed (slightly) daily better and I prefer the food on Princess for dinner. (And we ate in specialty restaurants all but 1 night on NCL but just overall we felt the food wasn't quite at the same level)

We will get the drink package for sure.

What are details of Suite mini-bar set up?

I like the fact that I've read Princess food is better overall - does anyone have details/costs for specialty restaurants for dinner? I don't remember seeing a specialty dining package, is there one available?

Thanks,

Jen

I like the fact that I've read Princess food is better overall - does anyone have details/costs for specialty restaurants for dinner? I don't remember seeing a specialty dining package' date=' is there one available?

Thanks,

Jen[/quote']

Sabatini's and Crown Grill ard both $25 pp. The Crab Shack is $20 pp. The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is $50 pp and worrh every penny! There is no package like NCL has.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

I like the fact that I've read Princess food is better overall - does anyone have details/costs for specialty restaurants for dinner? I don't remember seeing a specialty dining package' date=' is there one available?

Thanks,

Jen[/quote']

Mini bar setup will give you:

8 little bottles of booze - vodka, scotch, gin, cognac

6 cans of soft drinks

2 bottles of beer

2 bottles of water

2 bottles of Perrier or similar

You can call room service and switch around, but you can't get the more expensive items for the cheaper stuff. You can of course switch the high priced stuff for lower priced items.

Edited by Pia1913

Mini bar setup will give you:

8 little bottles of booze - vodka, scotch, gin, cognac

6 cans of soft drinks

2 bottles of beer

2 bottles of water

2 bottles of Perrier or similar

You can call room service and switch around, but you can't get the more expensive items for the cheaper stuff. You can of course switch the high priced stuff for lower priced items.

I assume when you say "you can't get the more expensive items for the cheaper stuff" you a saying, for example, you can't swap out the water for additional liquor minis. Can you swap out three of the liquor minis for all the same liquor minis (e.g. 4 gin minis)?

Thanks,

The suite benefits with NCL are probably a little better. There also seems to be a higher level of service with the suite on NCL. Your card is color coded to reflect the suite status, whereas on Princess it reflects your loyalty level. I do enjoy the free laundry on Princess, but the absence of free internet since my last cruise was glaring. We always received priority seating in the theatres on NCL. Both companies are great, but after my cruise last week I would probably give a slight edge to NCL now.

I assume when you say "you can't get the more expensive items for the cheaper stuff" you a saying, for example, you can't swap out the water for additional liquor minis. Can you swap out three of the liquor minis for all the same liquor minis (e.g. 4 gin minis)?

Thanks,

Absolutely and I do it every time by swapping 6 of the minis for 6 more Beefeaters and swap the water and perrier for more cans of tonic water.

Mike:)

T Your card is color coded to reflect the suite status, whereas on Princess it reflects your loyalty level.

True but for the last year or so if you are in a full suite, the word 'SUITE' appears on your card. It helps identify you to the staff:

1. Embarkation - after you have received your card you are directed to a seating area (general, platinum, elite/suite). It helps the terminal staff determine where you are 'entitled' to sit.
  2. Disembarkation - I presume the same is true about using the platinum/elite/suite disembarkation lounge.
  3. Elite/suite passenger services line.
  4. Platinum/elite/suite cocktail hour.
  5. Sabatinis breakfast and thermal spa access (they used to have to look you up on a list).
  6. I also can imagine them going away with tender tickets for suite passengers.

Thanks,

I believe Mike answered this question. So what I will add is, you can always swap for a lower priced item, but never a higher priced one. Liquor can we swapped for anything, but beer cannot be swapped for liquor. I swap my six soft drinks for diet Coke and the liquor gets exchanged for more beer or diet coke.

Absolutely and I do it every time by swapping 6 of the minis for 6 more Beefeaters and swap the water and perrier for more cans of tonic water.

Mike:)

Thanks Mike.....of course I have a number of cruises to go before my question is anything more than academic. ;)

I believe Mike answered this question. So what I will add is, you can always swap for a lower priced item, but never a higher priced one. Liquor can we swapped for anything, but beer cannot be swapped for liquor. I swap my six soft drinks for diet Coke and the liquor gets exchanged for more beer or diet coke.

Thanks Pia!!

One thing I'll say about NCL is they have a really great suites program. Thing is, if you want to see any shows or go to any lounges, you need to leave your suite. That is where Emerald has the advantage. While NCL takes care of their suite passengers, Princess is an overall better cruise line, IMO..