What's with all the charters?!?!

phoenix_dream

For my part' date=' the cruiselines can charter all they want, But BEFORE regular pax booked and prepaid air (usually, non-refundable). I think air can be booked 330 days prior. After that, I don't think it is ethical for a cruiseline to change a cruise to a charter.[/quote']

As a passenger, I would agree, but as a shareholder, I disagree. They are a for profit company. They need to do what they can to fill the ship and bring in the maximum income.

Celebrity Connections on the Celebrity Website has been "shakie" to say the least for over a month.

Hi Arno,

I just checked a few sites, and all of them have the Feb 7 and 21, 2015 Reflection sailings open and available for booking. Hopefully, it's just a website glitch. Keeping fingers crossed for you !

We'll hope that the issue continues to be Celebrity's inability to provide a stable useable platform after years of ineptitude. I'm just so glad that those IT guys aren't responsible for operating the Celebrity fleet.

At least I can access our reservations again. Even there the coding, not the correct format is showing:

Stateroom :

You booked AquaClass<small><sup>®</sup></small> Stateroom Guarantee

We'll hope that the issue continues to be Celebrity's inability to provide a stable useable platform after years of ineptitude. I'm just so glad that those IT guys aren't responsible for operating the Celebrity fleet.

At least I can access our reservations again. Even there the coding, not the correct format is showing:

We had the same for our booking in Equinox till the cabin was assigned.

As a programmer I can definitely say that that it's beginner level error, looks like cheap outsourcing code...:mad:

Edited by cruza

As a passenger, I would agree, but as a shareholder, I disagree. They are a for profit company. They need to do what they can to fill the ship and bring in the maximum income.

I agree to a point. Taking that argument to its full conclusion, it says that businesses can do virtually anything they want to as long as it is legal and the heck with the customers. And in truth of course they can. But there is a tipping point where by trying to make a profit with some customers, they are permanently alienating many others. I am a good example. I love Celebrity so am not ready to say good-bye yet. But if it continues to be so difficult to find options in the Caribbean in the spring, they are at the very least going to be losing the income from me and my family which we have been contributing to them for 20+ years of spring cruises (which, just as a point of note, were always sailing full). If this lack of options annoys me enough, it may also push me to stop cruising them at other times of the year as well, and in other locations. As someone whose long-time loyalty has helped them achieve their remarkable success and profitability, it is very frustrating for me to see signs I am being pushed aside (at least in some respects) because good profit is no longer good enough - they want more and more and more.

It is little wonder that regardless of which 'side of the aisle' people are on, these days people are getting more and more frustrated with big business. This is yet one more example.

Well, as frustrating as it can be to see your carefully chosen cruise go "poof" (yes, it's happened to us too) -- I would much rather the cruise line completely charter that ship to a large group, than just try to "shoe-horn" them in, with the existing passengers.

How would you feel if you spent thousands on air' date=' only to find that the cruise has been cancelled?[/quote']

I agree with Can'tstopcruising - While I can understand the business model I think it does alienate your loyal customer base if booking with Celebrity costs the customer the high cost of airfare when a cruise is cancelled. I can understand withdrawing a cruise up to 331 days before sailing, but at 330 customers start booking air.

Their business plan should differentiate - and advertise - that bookings further than 330 days in advance could be subject to cancellation. but don't cancel a cruise after the customer has incurred related costs.

BTW - does anyone know if the standard cruise insurance (not cancel for any reason policy) sold by the cruise line at time of booking would cover those losses due to cancelled cruise and existing air and hotel reservations?

How would you feel if you spent thousands on air' date=' only to find that the cruise has been cancelled?[/quote']

Most charters are scheduled about a year in advance, which would cause a cruise to be cancelled very early in the booking window. I have never seen a cruise cancelled within 6 months of sailing for a charter. For one thing, the charter company needs as much time as possible to make sure they fill the ship.

I never book my air more than 6 months in advance, so I wouldn't have to worry about airfare issues. Besides, if you had booked a cruise and it was cancelled, Celebrity will cover your cancellation or change costs for your airfare. Unlike a few people, I don't think that Celebrity is a heartless money grabbing entity. I do think they care about their customers and will assist as necessary.

Most charters are scheduled about a year in advance, which would cause a cruise to be cancelled very early in the booking window. I have never seen a cruise cancelled within 6 months of sailing for a charter. For one thing, the charter company needs as much time as possible to make sure they fill the ship.

I never book my air more than 6 months in advance, so I wouldn't have to worry about airfare issues. Besides, if you had booked a cruise and it was cancelled, Celebrity will cover your cancellation or change costs for your airfare. Unlike a few people, I don't think that Celebrity is a heartless money grabbing entity. I do think they care about their customers and will assist as necessary.

The charter cruise scheduled for November 21, 2014 was cancelled about 4 months prior to the cruise. That's why it has been opened for general booking. Non charters have also been cancelled at virtually the last minute due to mechanical issues. Things happen! However, your comments about Celebrity assisting those who have booked I believe are correct. Understandably people are unhappy, disappointed and sometimes angry when their planned cruise is cancelled, but reactions voiced on these boards tends to indicate that people were made whole and usually given something extra.

The Nov. 21st Contsellation charter was cancelled outside of normal final payment date. I would assume that there must still be a fee owed to Celebrity for this . Celebrity already had changed the original Nov 5th sailing from Rome to accommodate this charter. this cruise was changed to 16 nights and ports were changed . It cause a large # of pax to cancel. . But happily I am on the 16 night cruise and may consider a B2B adding the 3 night Bahama cruise when the price drops

The Nov. 21st Contsellation charter was cancelled outside of normal final payment date. I would assume that there must still be a fee owed to Celebrity for this . Celebrity already had changed the original Nov 5th sailing from Rome to accommodate this charter. this cruise was changed to 16 nights and ports were changed . It cause a large # of pax to cancel. . But happily I am on the 16 night cruise and may consider a B2B adding the 3 night Bahama cruise when the price drops

I'm on that one and have added the three day. The TA is pretty much sold out so anyone who cancelled has been replace by a passenger who probably paid more since prices increased quite a bit from when I booked. Really a win for Celebrity.

Hi Gold,

As the group cancelled very late in the process, I also suspect that a large penalty was paid to Celebrity. Although it puts Celebrity in the unenviable position of adding a 3 night sailing on short notice - I believe they will do just fine.

Hi Gold,

As the group cancelled very late in the process, I also suspect that a large penalty was paid to Celebrity. Although it puts Celebrity in the unenviable position of adding a 3 night sailing on short notice - I believe they will do just fine.

Hi Andy:

I have a hunch that some of the people who booked the charter will still be on the ship. Celebrity might have rebooked them as non charter passengers. Cyndee noticed that lots of cabins were not in the inventory when booking opened as a non charter. We made out well since a 15 day cruise became 16 days and we were able to stay on the ship for an additional 3 days.

The charter cruise scheduled for November 21, 2014 was cancelled about 4 months prior to the cruise. That's why it has been opened for general booking. Non charters have also been cancelled at virtually the last minute due to mechanical issues. Things happen! However, your comments about Celebrity assisting those who have booked I believe are correct. Understandably people are unhappy, disappointed and sometimes angry when their planned cruise is cancelled, but reactions voiced on these boards tends to indicate that people were made whole and usually given something extra.

A charter being cancelled won't affect anyone who booked through Celebrity, so that is an entirely different issue than a cruise being cancelled to accommodate a charter. As for cancellation due to mechanical problems, that cannot be helped in any part of life - our cars break down, our house plumbing springs a leak, our workplace loses power, or our flight gets cancelled due to Mother Nature's bad temper. We have all had to cancel some event or trip due to an unexpected issue.

Same with cruises - things happen. Changes in schedules must be made for the unexpected problems that arise. As long as the cruise line provides any assistance or compensation to cover at least lost expenses, they can't be faulted.

But, if they do cancel a cruise and refuse to provide some type of compensation for actual out of pocket expense loses, that is another story - one that I will gladly complain about. :D

I am very disappointed that my options are much limited and the prices therefore so high.

The point is that a cruise line that I have been loyal to and have sailed on virtually every spring for the past 25 years is now severely reducing my options to continue to do that. So for me, and for many, many, many others in my situation this is sad indeed. They can and will do what they want, and I can and will need to now consider other options.

I have to chuckle whenever I read a post from someone who apparently takes personally something that Celebrity does that they aren't satisfied with. I heard over and over again how people were going to take their business elsewhere when extra fare restaurants were introduced, when the smoking policies were made more restrictive, and when the unfortunately named "loyalty program" changed how points were earned. And now someone is threatening to go elsewhere because a cruise they wanted to take isn't available this year.

Being loyal to a company is more than just purchasing a product they sell because you happen to like it. True loyalty also means sticking around when they have disappointed as well. Many people claim that they are loyal to a cruise line, but the first time they don't get exactly what they want, they threaten to "now consider other options". That is not you being loyal to them. It is you demanding that they be "loyal" to YOU instead!

Edited by sloopsailor

I have to chuckle whenever I read a post from someone who apparently takes personally something that Celebrity does that they aren't satisfied with. I heard over and over again how people were going to take their business elsewhere when extra fare restaurants were introduced, when the smoking policies were made more restrictive, and when the unfortunately named "loyalty program" changed how points were earned. And now someone is threatening to go elsewhere because a cruise they wanted to take isn't available this year.

Being loyal to a company is more than just purchasing a product they sell because you happen to like it. True loyalty also means sticking around when they have disappointed as well. Many people claim that they are loyal to a cruise line, but the first time they don't get exactly what they want, they threaten to "now consider other options". That is not you being loyal to them. It is you demanding that they be "loyal" to YOU instead!

We will have to agree to disagree, as your comments are really not responding to what I actually said, but rather are twisting the meaning of the comments to the point of ridiculous. In this case, the only reason I would be considering other options is because by virtue of all the charters in the spring, and the subsequent higher prices on the reduced number of sailings they are offering, I may have no choice. Of course I wouldn't dump a cruise line I have loved for years because of an occasional disappointment. That is off point of all my comments

This is not about getting everything exactly as I want - no way can that reasonably be inferred by what I have said. Nor am I leaving a cruise line because a cruise I wanted wasn't available this year. I am saying if the new business model is to book lots of charters to the exclusion of other customers, with subsequent higher prices on the cruises there are left to choose from, then I may need to look elsewhere. And as a long-time, very loyal customer this frustrates me as I would prefer to continue sailing Celebrity like I have done for 20+ years. Loyalty could hardly be defined as sticking around and continuing to purchase a product that suddenly dropped availability by half (at least for that time of year in the Caribbean) and charged more for the options that were left. I would be foolish indeed to not even consider other options in that case. Hopefully it will not come to that.

You might see things a little differently, if you ever have that many years (and thousands of $$) invested with one cruise line. You may find that loyalty is a two-way street.

You might see things a little differently, if you ever have that many years (and thousands of $$) invested with one cruise line. You may find that loyalty is a two-way street.

I fully agree. However, based on comments from several self proclaimed "loyal" customers of the various cruise lines I cruise on, they are only interested in that street being one-way - which is always the cruise line bending over backwards for them. If the bending isn't far enough - then it's "Sayonara, sucker!" to the cruise line.

My earlier comment was meant to be generic and not specific to any person or persons. My apologies that I did not word my comment more effectively.

That comment was mostly driven by what some people posted when the new Captain's Club points program was rolled out. It was amusing how many incensed cruisers were ready to dump Celebrity for the simple reason a more fair and equitable "loyalty" points system was being implemented. The 3 and 4 day cruisers were quite upset that they could no longer rack up points faster than people who cruised the longer itineraries, and they threatened to leave. Apparently, their idea of being loyal was entirely dependent on how much they could play the system to earn Elite status the fastest. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

I fully agree. However, based on comments from several self proclaimed "loyal" customers of the various cruise lines I cruise on, they are only interested in that street being one-way - which is always the cruise line bending over backwards for them. If the bending isn't far enough - then it's "Sayonara, sucker!" to the cruise line.

My earlier comment was meant to be generic and not specific to any person or persons. My apologies that I did not word my comment more effectively.

That comment was mostly driven by what some people posted when the new Captain's Club points program was rolled out. It was amusing how many incensed cruisers were ready to dump Celebrity for the simple reason a more fair and equitable "loyalty" points system was being implemented. The 3 and 4 day cruisers were quite upset that they could no longer rack up points faster than people who cruised the longer itineraries, and they threatened to leave. Apparently, their idea of being loyal was entirely dependent on how much they could play the system to earn Elite status the fastest. :rolleyes:

My opinion only and others may differ.

I'm loyal to my family, faith and country. They may test my loyalty from time to time, but I remain loyal. I am not loyal to any business. Not a bank, not a phone company, not a cruise line. I continue to purchase their product as long as I find it meeting my (and DW's) needs at a good value. Personally, I've taken many, many cruises on most of the mainstream lines. At one time we only cruised on the newest ship regardless of line. I could never understand why some would even want to repeat ships or stay on the same line. Now I understand how that can happen for some, including me. I enjoy the ships and staff. I appreciate the added perks I'm now receiving. Don't consider this "loyalty", but customer satisfaction. I was not happy with the way they implemented the new program and I'll leave it there. Celebrity doesn't "owe" me anything. Family, faith, country: this is loyalty. Choosing Celebrity, that's business on both sides.

All of these Cruises still exist & are open for Bookings on Celebrity's Website...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-search/search-results?isWidget=false&dest=CARIB&sailStartDate=2015-02&sailEndDate=2015-02&ship=RF&port=ANY

February 7th & 14th info is available on Page 1 - Box 1

February 21st info is available on Page 1 - Box 6

February 28th info is available on Page 2 - Box 1

All of the other info on these 2 pages are Celebrity's AI Pkgs (in house Charter) that I outlined here in Reply # 6... Note the Airport Codes.

There is no way that Celebrity is going to pull the plug on these cruises... The Cdn AI Charters proved out to be a good money maker for them last year.

They have partnered with a relatively small Airline Charter Co for the fights (so not Air Canada or WestJet our Only 2 Ntl Airlines). That Co, Canadian North just doesn't have dozens of planes they can reassign... They have as I understand it 2 planes they are using... That will do multiple pick ups (2 or 3 cities each) before making their way to Florida.

So ya, no worries your cruises are a go... It just is that Celebrity's Website is separating out (for whatever reason) the in-house Cdn Charter AI Pax from everyone else.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... Here is a link I found that explains that this is a Celebrity (Canada) initiative.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/From+Ottawa+cruise+ship+unique+package+popular/10097379/story.html

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

My opinion only and others may differ.

I'm loyal to my family, faith and country. They may test my loyalty from time to time, but I remain loyal. I am not loyal to any business. Not a bank, not a phone company, not a cruise line.

Exactly!

If a comment is truly supposed to be "generic and not specific to any person", then perhaps not pulling two quotes from one person to comment on would be a good start. It is fine when people disagree (whether with one person or as a generic comment); it's a free world. But it would be nice if they could just present their argument to the contrary rather than criticizing other's views. Just sayin.......

If a comment is truly supposed to be "generic and not specific to any person", then perhaps not pulling two quotes from one person to comment on would be a good start. It is fine when people disagree (whether with one person or as a generic comment); it's a free world. But it would be nice if they could just present their argument to the contrary rather than criticizing other's views. Just sayin.......

Interesting observation. So it is not acceptable to criticize another person's view, but it is perfectly acceptable to lecture the person about that view? Just sayin.....

Edited by SantaFeFan