Breakaway Diverted!

jfried8

What are the chances of the Breakaway not making it next week if bermuda does get a direct hit

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The chances of Bermuda getting a direct hit, from all the models, are incredibly slim. A chance, but probably less than 2% if you are a gamer.

my son is on the diverted Breakaway.

:confused:Can anyone recommend excursions in Port Canaveral? Can you still catch the trolley into cocoa beach? Is it a long walk to the trolley stop?

thanks

You can catch a van right outside of the terminal, I think its 10 bucks round trip?

Edited by Laszlo

Why? The cruise line doesn't control the weather. You're still getting a cruise. If there is a difference in port fees, those will be credited.

Not even a refunded for part of the fare? Cause Florida & Nassau are so not Bermuda......Not even a stop mention to GSC, I would feel ripoff for that.:( I understand the weather, but did the passengers at least given a choice to not go or not?

my son is on the diverted Breakaway.

:confused:Can anyone recommend excursions in Port Canaveral? Can you still catch the trolley into cocoa beach? Is it a long walk to the trolley stop?

thanks

Brevard Zoo in nearby Melbourne is an alternative. It has ziplines (Treetop Trek Aerial Adventures), kayaking, and paddleboats.

Not even a refunded for part of the fare? Cause Florida & Nassau are so not Bermuda......Not even a stop mention to GSC, I would feel ripoff for that.:( I understand the weather, but did the passengers at least given a choice to not go or not?

Its in the contract - you can end up in New England! Some folks ended up on a longer cruise due to Sandy, some shorter. cruises don't cancel due to weather, they deal with it the best they can. This isn't just NCL. Another good reason for insurance!

With the Breakaway and the Summit sailing the same itinerary at pretty much the same time, I find the different actions of the two cruise lines to be fascinating.

It is not unheard of. We had a similar situation in 2009 when sailing to Bermuda. We were on a Celebrity ship and a RCCL ship was making the same run, scheduled to arrive in Bermuda the same day (we were going to Hamilton, they to St. George). Our captain persevered and plunged on but it was not pretty: 30+ foot seas for 30 hours without break. To give you an idea of the effect, when I went to the buffet at 8:30 AM, there were a total of 4 pax in the buffet.

The RCCL ship basically did donuts for 24 hours, lurking behind the storm. They arrived a full day behind us (and the pax said it was real bumpy there, too, only longer than us).

Its in the contract - you can end up in New England! Some folks ended up on a longer cruise due to Sandy, some shorter. cruises don't cancel due to weather, they deal with it the best they can. This isn't just NCL. Another good reason for insurance!

Not sure what effect insurance would have if you were diverted to a different port. Or, in most cases, if you cancelled a cruise that still sailed (unless you had an expensive "cancel for any reason" policy).

Not sure what effect insurance would have if you were diverted to a different port. Or, in most cases, if you cancelled a cruise that still sailed (unless you had an expensive "cancel for any reason" policy).

I was referring to the cancel for whatever reason - Sandy was almost exactly one year before our last cruise, and I did think about getting it (ended up with just regular cruise insurance).

Hi ECCRuise! Where do you see that the Summit hasn't been diverted? The current position website shows the "scheduled" position of each ship & not the 'actual position'.... & it won't let you click on the 'actual position' to see it. Is there another current satellite position site that I just haven't stumbled across yet?

Was on cruise years ago during Wilma. They warned us before we got on they didn't know where we were going. Ended up never making it to Cozumel, they kept us an extra day, never made it to any port. No refunds. It was an adventure to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you were flying into Bermuda and had prepaid everything but got diverted would you expect compensation then?? NCL is delivering upon what they promised which is a cruise. I just don't understand why everyone thinks they're entitled to $$ if something doesn't go their way.

Why? The cruise line doesn't control the weather. You're still getting a cruise. If there is a difference in port fees, those will be credited.

When I read the comment, above, asking if there'd be a credit, I was thinking port fees. And possibly this person was thinking of pre-paid excursions.

ohmigosh.....cruise lines can't control the weather, & when you cruise at this time of year, it's the chance you take...and, NO, you don't get any refund whether partial or not. NCL & every other major cruise line that exists has the same policy & it is what it is. Deal with it! Disappointment is part of life, oh wellllll. If the ships sails, you go where it goes....& when an entire ship full of passengers & crew's safety is at stake, yet there are those who whine about how unfair it is that they don't get to go where they were supposed to because of a MAJOR storm & they don't get any type of a refund? Please. Cruise lines don't take their ships into tropical storms & hurricanes, regardless of disappointment. It's called responsibility. As lawsuit happy as people in this country are, can you imagine the lawsuits if they did...OMG! They'd sue because they were seasick & didn't divert the ship. Jeepers. End of rant.

I have been told that port charges in Bermuda are very high I would think Nassau would be much cheaper as some cruise lines (NCL?) are home ported there. So probably they would be refunded the difference

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it possible to have the reverse happen to me for my October cruise? If a hurricane is a brewin over Florida, could we possibly go to Bermuda instead, resulting in higher port fees, which we did not agree to when booking. I'm sure that's in the fine print too....my point was just having to pay higher port fees.

Edit: and my asking about the higher port fees is so that I can plan ahead, not dispute the extra charge. I keep reading that bermuda is such a beautiful place and I'd love to go there!

Edited by English101

ohmigosh.....cruise lines can't control the weather, & when you cruise at this time of year, it's the chance you take...and, NO, you don't get any refund whether partial or not. NCL & every other major cruise line that exists has the same policy & it is what it is. Deal with it! Disappointment is part of life, oh wellllll. If the ships sails, you go where it goes....& when an entire ship full of passengers & crew's safety is at stake, yet there are those who whine about how unfair it is that they don't get to go where they were supposed to because of a MAJOR storm & they don't get any type of a refund? Please. Cruise lines don't take their ships into tropical storms & hurricanes, regardless of disappointment. It's called responsibility. As lawsuit happy as people in this country are, can you imagine the lawsuits if they did...OMG! They'd sue because they were seasick & didn't divert the ship. Jeepers. End of rant.

WOW Cranky pants. 😬😀

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Over on the Celebrity board, it's now being reported that the Summit has been diverted to Port Canaveral and Nassau as well.

Over on the Bermuda boards they say Explorer of the seas came in late with Propulsion problems and will leave early .:eek:

I would not like to head out like that .

Edited by biker@sea

Update from the Summit. Captain announced during dinner that we are now turning around and heading to Port Canaveral to refuel for the day then off to the Bahamas.

I hate pink sand beaches anyway. LMAO over that one.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina