how to pack man's suit

Frodofoot

OK Maybe not the best idea, but again it depends on how far you're traveling from home. Long distance I would wear the coat and pack the pants which fold much easier. OK it may look geeky, but when you're done with your cruise just pack it and send it to the drycleaners when you get home. If this is not feasible then I'd suggest having your room steward send it to the ships cleaners with STRICT INSTRUCTIONS to just steam out the wrinkles. Ken

Edited by iahawkize

We carry DH's (along with his dress shirts and an extra sport coat) on hangers in a garment bag, which is a real drag because it counts against our luggage allowance. Even with doing so he pretty much always ends up sending the stuff out to be re-pressed onboard. I've never been able to figure out how to pack ANYTHING without it getting wrinkly (although admittedly I am overly-meticulous about how my clothes look).

Edited by ronandannette

I place a jacket in the bottom of the suitcase without folding anything, so part is hanging over the edge. Put in trousers, again unfolded. Continue with maybe 8 or more larger garments, then start folding in all of the "outside" parts. There will be no creases on any of them when you unpack.

We've never had to press or bathroom-steam any of our clothes.

I pack our jackets and slacks and dress shirts on the hangers in dry cleaning bags in a rolling garment bag. There's a lot of extra space in it to fit in socks and underwear and a couple of pairs of shoes. So even though it counts as a piece of luggage, we're getting a lot of clothes in it.

My husband travels pretty much weekly for work and has to pack a suit unless he is wearing it on travel day. We use a packing sleeve for the shirts and pants-eagle creek I believe. I gently fold the jacket in half and it sits on top of everything else in the suitcase. No problems with wrinkles! this is a jos a bank travelers suit, so it should wrinkle less, in theory at least. If there are wrinkles, he just does the steamy shower trick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lots of good ideas here.

But after many years, too many, of constant business travel and wearing suits, I think the solution starts even before you buy the suit.

A professionally staffed men's wear store/dept. should be able to steer you to suits that travel well, ie in a suit bag OR a suitcase. The fabric is generally lighter, very durable, and the wrinkles will fall after an overnight hanging. Made the world of difference to my business travel. You will pay more for this suit but you will typically get a better tailored suit that lasts longer and looks better.

But thankfully, I no longer have to do this.

Edited by iancal

I love the OP's question, and despite a lifetime of travel have never found the perfect solution. But we now use a method that serves us well. We roll the pants starting from the bottom of the leg, so it ends up in a tight roll which we then secure with a few rubber bands. This prevents creases. As to the jacket, this is the tricky part. I lay the jacket across the bottom of my suitcase which leaves about half hanging out of the bag. I then pack most of my other stuff on top of the suit, and finally fold the other half (the part that is hanging out of the bag) over the top. Having other clothes in the middle of that jacket minimizes wrinkles. You can also stuff some underwear into the sleeves to help prevent a crease where they much be folded. It sounds difficult, but is actually quite easy in practice and works quite well.

Hank

What is the best way to pack a man's suit to avoid as many wrinkles as possible?

Fold and put the suit in the bottom of the suitcase. As soon as your luggage arrives use the expedited "iron only" option for whatever is wrinkled (always has cost me $5-7 for all my clothes). I always ask my steward to make sure I have them back by the first formal night (usually the next day) and so far they have always been back by the next afternoon.

I put the pants and jacket on a hanger and put a plastic dry cleaner bag over it, fold it and put it on the top of the suitcase. Works fine for me.

This is what I do. Always works well.

If I don't have a dry cleaners bag, then I use an inverted trash bag (with a hole poked through for the hanger)

I pack the formal dresses this way too

Edited by DonnaK

Another poster has suggested this method:

and I agree with it 100%. We pack DH's tuxedo this way for our travels and he carries it in his carry-on along with the rest of his formal gear. When we arrive at our destination, we hang it in the bathroom while he showers and it is wrinkle-free.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We also pack suits as late as possible and unpack as soon as possible. Once the suit is hanging again in the cabin, it will relax. Also, turn the shower on HOT and then take the suit in there to steam it a bit and more wrinkles will come out. However, if you insist on a sharp crease on the front of pants, these too will soften up.