Feeling Stalked

I don't normally visit the Carnival boards, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

Two nights ago, I visit the Carnival site to get a price on a cruise. Yesterday, i get a call from Carnival to follow up on my visit to their site. And then last night, an I get a follow-up email. Both the call and the email are from my personal vacation planner - Joe.

I dont' know if Joe is real or some kind of computer robot :D

Does this happen to everybody, or am I just lucky?

I visit websites for many cruiselines and no other line stalks me like this.

Am I really special to Carnival or are they just desperate for my business? Some might see this as good customer management, ... I see it as stalking.

Many people come on here saying that as soon as they log on to the Carnival site and start looking, someone from Carnival calls. Many have also said that they have requested that the calls stop but they still continue.

I have it listed in my profile on Carnival that I have a TA. I have never been pestered by phone calls when I look for cruises online. Maybe that's the trick. Make up a phony travel agency in your profile and see if the calls stop.

Many report being contacted after going online to the Carnival site, especially if they don't do so all the time. Some people have even reported multiple attempts to follow-up.

I think it is just their current service model, but the aggressiveness of it rests with the individual PVP. Just tell Joe to back off.

lol.

So Joe is real? A first and last name were given, but it could easily have been made up.

When I sailed Ecstasy, my parents paid. When I sailed Dream, we used a TA to book, so Carnival should know that I have a TA. I will see if I can update my profile on their website (but yikes, this will likely trigger another call!).

it's happened once or twice before when I visited the carnival site and I brushed it off. now it feels creepy.

Just tell Joe that if he or anyone else from Carnival calls you again, that you will not be booking a cruise with them. I've never had that happen to me with Carnival, but with Princess yes. I told my PVP that if she comes across a good deal to call me, otherwise I don't need her help right now. No more calls.

I don't normally visit the Carnival boards, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

Two nights ago, I visit the Carnival site to get a price on a cruise. Yesterday, i get a call from Carnival to follow up on my visit to their site. And then last night, an I get a follow-up email. Both the call and the email are from my personal vacation planner - Joe.

Am I really special to Carnival or are they just desperate for my business? Some might see this as good customer management, ... I see it as stalking.

go to Carnivals website and change your phone number and the calls will stop.:)

Bill

When it asks you for your Past Guest #, click I do not want to give it out and you will not be bothered--- Just don't sign in

go to Carnivals website and change your phone number and the calls will stop.:)

Bill

that would work!

When it asks you for your Past Guest #, click I do not want to give it out and you will not be bothered--- Just don't sign in

I usually log out, but then i start to wonder if any past guest pricing would be better, and I log in again.

Yes, they're real people! Real people who work off commission, I think!;)

Personal Vacation Planners with Carnival do NOT work off of a commission. However, they are required to meet a quota.

Travel Agents are subjected to commission.

Edited by Disconnections

I can relate. The first call I received from Carnival I was told so and so was my new PVP and that I had used some other woman previously. I have never used a PVP always preferring to book myself. The calls continued daily until I blocked the number on my phone. Now I am getting emails from this same woman.

Edited by Cinders411
Error

You do not need to check in on your account or to give your past guest number when checking prices. When you get to where you enter your information when looking for possible cruises and you get to the place where it ask for your VIFP number just mark no, you do not want to leave your number. You will still get past guest prices and since you are not signed in they do not have your phone number.

Changing your phone number in your Carnival profile isn't necessarily going to stop them from calling. They have an intelligent call manager, which has your phone number, address, cell number, past sailings, preferences, etc etc. all listed in memory. When you call the PVP, your name and all your information automatically pops up on his screen. And when you visit the web site, the PVP gets a notification, and his call manager has all the details on file.

When I log into the web site, my PVP calls to see if I need information, etc. He isn't pushy, he's just trying to get a sale. I don't have a problem with that.

If you don't want them to call you, just tell them... also, as others have suggested, when you go to the site don't log in and they won't get a notification. You can still check Past Guest rates by just not listing your number.

We booked our next cruise in April 2015 about 2 months ago. (June 2014.) Before booking, we shopped around with Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. After searching for cruises on these sights, I received at the very LEAST one call and one email from each company.

Norwegian, however, continued to call me daily for about 2 weeks and sent 4 very thick brochures in the mail as well.

I absolutely did not feel "stalked"... they have my information that I willingly gave them. But I was glad when we booked with Carnival and the calls ended. I am aware that this happens since I always shop around multiple lines when choosing a vacation, and it has always happened in the past and I'm sure it will continue. I have the numbers saved in my phone accordingly so I know who they are when they call. Problem solved, I don't pick up.

Edited by jetta8300

I used to get a call from my PVP every time I logged in. I don't know if she works for Carnival anymore because I don't get calls anymore. I'm on everyday checking prices.

I work for a car dealership and I call people when they log into our site and request more info on a vehicle, but they ask for it...or at least some of them do.

I used to get a call from my PVP every time I logged in. I don't know if she works for Carnival anymore because I don't get calls anymore. I'm on everyday checking prices.

I work for a car dealership and I call people when they log into our site and request more info on a vehicle, but they ask for it...or at least some of them do.

I think there is a difference if I go to your car site, and fill out a contact us form asking you to send me information or call me on a specific car - it's a one time request.

But tracking me every time I come back to your site just to take a peek at the car, is different.

I'll never understand Cruise lines. I've booked with Carnival over the phone but never get calls, meanwhile a very nice guy from HAL calls me quarterly to see if I'd like to book a cruise and I've never sailed with them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have had my same PVP since 2009. He has never called me on his own--maybe once to inform of some sale.

I log on to look at cruises all the time. I dont know why some people get bombarded with calls when they look online.

My son is going through that right now. He wanted an e-mail giving pricing on a new truck. He now gets phone calls daily and never asked to be called, only e-mailed to avoid the calls.

Changing your phone number in your Carnival profile isn't necessarily going to stop them from calling. They have an intelligent call manager, which has your phone number, address, cell number, past sailings, preferences, etc etc. all listed in memory. When you call the PVP, your name and all your information automatically pops up on his screen. And when you visit the web site, the PVP gets a notification, and his call manager has all the details on file.

My PVP must get a ton of hits from me because I'm on the website several times a day checking prices. We're already booked so he must know what I'm doing (no price drops yet, darn it). When we're not booked he calls 2-3 times a year just to check on us. Since he's been so helpful over the years I don't see it as an inconvenience. He's provided such great service I refer friends and acquaintances to him when they ask about cruising. I can, and have, booked my own cruises, but he's good at linking cabins and keeping a group of us together when possible. Now if he were calling every day, or even once a week that would be excessive.

BTW, when I booked HAL recently, my PCC had all my personal information at hand from my Carnival cruises once I gave her my name and address.

Jim