What side of ship for port view in St thomas

E23NK1

Hi everyone,

We are booking our first cruise in 10 years and was wondering if possible, what side of the ship would I want our stateroom to be on in order to have a port view of St thomas. I remember our last cruise we had a balcony and had a great view in the morning when we docked...but cant remember what side we were on.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

Hi everyone,

We are booking our first cruise in 10 years and was wondering if possible, what side of the ship would I want our stateroom to be on in order to have a port view of St thomas. I remember our last cruise we had a balcony and had a great view in the morning when we docked...but cant remember what side we were on.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

No guarantee, but most of the times we have docked in Havensight, the starboard side has faced the city. If you are on Oasis or Allure, then there's no way to predict the best side.

thanks..I should re-phrase my question I think.

We would like to have a view of downtown Charlotte Amalie from our balcony when docked.

We will be on the Freedom.

Any thoughts?

Edited by E23NK1

thanks..I should re-phrase my question I think.

We would like to have a view of downtown Charlotte Amalie from our balcony when docked.

We will be on the Freedom.

Any thoughts?

Yes, what I said about Havensight. Repeating, no guarantee, things can change.

thanks for the help.

Now a dumb question...looking at the deck plans on RCCL...is the front of the ship the top and rear of ship the bottom on the plans?...so Port left and starboard right?

I didnt notice anything that told me that in their site.

Thanks again

Every time we have been in St Thomas the port side was facing the bay. Here are Carnival Liberty and Independence of the Seas both facing the bay and town on the port side. Starboard will face Senor Frogs and Havensight mall. To me, the view of the bay and boats is most beautiful. Hope the picture gives you a better idea.

As said before, there is no guarantee :)

c1c817b2e83907378cb6834196f24be7_zpsb3272695.jpg

thanks for the help.

Now a dumb question...looking at the deck plans on RCCL...is the front of the ship the top and rear of ship the bottom on the plans?...so Port left and starboard right?

Thanks again

The pointy end is the front. Normally depicted at the top of the page.

thanks for the help.

Thanks again

Yes :)

The side AWAY from the dock still has a view.....so don't worry too much about it. During each cruse, the Captain tries to give each side equal time toward the dock...so there's no telling which side will be facing the pier.

You are in a harbor...so the "open sea" isn't really in view...there are little islets and other stuff to see all around.

During each cruse, the Captain tries to give each side equal time toward the dock...so there's no telling which side will be facing the pier.

There could be a multitude of reasons why a ship docks the way it does at each port, I doubt that "rotating for the balcony passengers equal view" is one of them.....................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The side AWAY from the dock still has a view.....so don't worry too much about it. During each cruse, the Captain tries to give each side equal time toward the dock...so there's no telling which side will be facing the pier.

You are in a harbor...so the "open sea" isn't really in view...there are little islets and other stuff to see all around.

The captain does not try to give equal time for each side of the ship to face the dock for the benefit of balcony guests. The position the ship docks in is based on the particular ship, dock space, order of arrival to the port, scheduled lifeboat drills, and required basic maintenance to be performed in port.