Seabourn Changes to Dress Code and Penalty/Cancellation Timelines

ravenclaw

This is our first Seabourn trip so it will be interesting to see if they chuck us off!

Fletcher, as a first time cruiser with Seabourn you qualify for $400 USD onboard credit with a referral voucher. There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the page regarding these vouchers. Enjoy your trip.

We were on the Quest in May and jackets for men were required in the MDR regardless of the theme that day, casual or otherwise.

We have been on the Quest twice this year, in spring and summer, and on the (not many) casual nights, obviously notably the first and last, men definitely did not have to wear a jacket in the main dining room in the evening. :confused:

Fletcher, as a first time cruiser with Seabourn you qualify for $400 USD onboard credit with a referral voucher. There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the page regarding these vouchers. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks . . . I'll look into this.

I am with you on this. We just got off Legend too and it was lovely to see so many chaps wearing jackets. My DH would not consider MDR dining without one thankfully. We ladies try to look attractive and 'special' whilst dining and it adds to experience to maintain a certain standard. If one is not feeling up to it, there is always en suite dining as an option!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The reason Seabourn is changing the dress code is because the demographic they are after do not want to dine in their suites just so that some passengers can look at others who are similarly dressed. Perhaps those who want to wear tuxedos are the ones who should dine in their suites. It's a different world and Seabourn realizes that people want to wear what makes them comfortable as long as it is in the purview of their dress code.

The reason Seabourn is changing the dress code is because the demographic they are after do not want to dine in their suites just so that some passengers can look at others who are similarly dressed. Perhaps those who want to wear tuxedos are the ones who should dine in their suites. It's a different world and Seabourn realizes that people want to wear what makes them comfortable as long as it is in the purview of their dress code.

And over at Cunard, people are worrying about what to wear to bed.:eek::D:D

Edited by Jim Avery

Now received the full 2015-2016 UK brochure. New dress code there - as reported; my only uncertainty is what is meant by 'a collared DRESS shirt' for the so-called elegant casual. Does this mean a business type shirt, or perhaps a casual cotton shirt, but excluding what in the UK we call a polo shirt - tee shirt type material but with collar? My DH has various stripy collared shirts, in normal cotton fabric, and I imagine these would do but once again it is unclear. Some men do go in for dinner in 'polo shirts', which without a sweater on top look overly casual to my mind. U.S. CCers may know the exact meaning of this phrase.

However, the more serious news IMO, is on page 59, in the Mediterranean cruise section. Under 'compliments of Seabourn' there is a paragraph stating that there will be a youth program during the summer (no dates or specific cruises mentioned of course) when there will be activities for 5-12 years and 13-17 years, including arts and crafts, video games, scavenger hunts, sports, dance parties and more. I wonder if they will publish which cruises will be affected, or be prepared to tell us before we book?

I would take "collared dress shirt" to mean one with which you could wear a tie if you chose to. It would not include a polo shirt, although wearing a tie with one has been done! Predicting or regulating fashion trends and taste is fraught!

Re the "youth program", sounds like this should be a question asked when considering a booking. The issue is that there are no facilities for youth activities unless they take over the bridge/games room or one of the upper deck areas. Seems most likely that such offerings will be on the shorter Med cruises. Makes one wonder if the new ship will have facilities for "youth".

When we were on the odyssey Athens to Istanbul in July there were about a dozen youngsters and a youth programme was offered in the card room. The young people were all well behaved and seemed to be mainly part of large family multi generational extended family groups. IMO it did not detract from the SB experience at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were on the odyssey Athens to Istanbul in July there were about a dozen youngsters and a youth programme was offered in the card room. The young people were all well behaved and seemed to be mainly part of large family multi generational extended family groups. IMO it did not detract from the SB experience at all.

Well shucks... you let that cat out of the bag too early. Now we will miss out on the dozens of posts complaining about Seabourn allowing anyone under the age of 50 to set foot on the ships. :D

Well shucks... you let that cat out of the bag too early. Now we will miss out on the dozens of posts complaining about Seabourn allowing anyone under the age of 50 to set foot on the ships. :D

That's a bit extreme. I think 40 to 45 is plenty ok. As long as they lose the rugrats.:eek::D:D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It might have done if you were a Bridge fanatic. The facilities for a 'youth program' are insufficient, IMO, on the present ships. Maybe they will be built into the new one coming up, in which case we know not to travel on it.

It might have done if you were a Bridge fanatic. The facilities for a 'youth program' are insufficient, IMO, on the present ships. Maybe they will be built into the new one coming up, in which case we know not to travel on it.

On Sojourn this Christmas I've heard they are going to cancel Bridge all together in favour of a kids club. There is also rumour of party games poolside from 2.00pm - 5.00pm every day and a "give the parents a night off" unaccompanied youth dining programme each evening in the Restaurant.

I am of course joking. As 50% of the entire youth roll call last year Emily enjoyed herself despite there being no specific activities planned for young people to the point where she has been pestering us to do Sojourn again.

There is potential for a clash twixt young and old but in the same breath some passengers who should have known better got a little out of hand. I know of at least instance where restrictions were place behind the bar.

Unless you charter a boat there will always be other passengers to consider. The good thing about a forum like this is people know what they are letting themselves in for and can ask questions before committing. We understood the adult / mature culture and only booked because we were happy we could enjoy ourselves within that without upsetting too many people although my sunbathing thong wasn't unanimously well received :)

Henry :)

edited to say....

Back on topic I am pleased to report we will be getting dressed up for dinner and suitably attired on formal night.

H.

Edited by Able Seaman H

On Sojourn this Christmas I've heard they are going to cancel Bridge all together in favour of a kids club. There is also rumour of party games poolside from 2.00pm - 5.00pm every day and a "give the parents a night off" unaccompanied youth dining programme each evening in the Restaurant.

I am of course joking. As 50% of the entire youth roll call last year Emily enjoyed herself despite there being no specific activities planned for young people to the point where she has been pestering us to do Sojourn again.

There is potential for a clash twixt young and old but in the same breath some passengers who should have known better got a little out of hand. I know of at least instance where restrictions were place behind the bar.

Unless you charter a boat there will always be other passengers to consider. The good thing about a forum like this is people know what they are letting themselves in for and can ask questions before committing. We understood the adult / mature culture and only booked because we were happy we could enjoy ourselves within that without upsetting too many people although my sunbathing thong wasn't unanimously well received :)

Henry :)

edited to say....

Back on topic I am pleased to report we will be getting dressed up for dinner and suitably attired on formal night.

H.

Were these the Crystal forums you could have started WW3 with this:p

(the bridge topic)

That being said, people don't always know what they're getting themselves into (eg: The SS. Mickey Mouse on Crystal pre-DCL). Sometimes you show up to your cruise and find yourself surrounded by rather obnoxious affinity groups that make the front page of Cruise Critic ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing like a navy Armani suit with a crisp white shirt for the men- so dashing...........a well dressed person is always well dressed no matter what -and they needn't depend on dress codes- they always seem to know exactly what is appropriate, right? To me, that is a dress code!:rolleyes:

Edited by schooltchr