Talk of replacing Grandeur in Baltimore?

Surely you must be joking- Baltimore has a huge following and is very well-organized and everyone LOVES sailing out of Baltimore that I have talked to! :)
Ignore him. SaintL has posted three times on this thread, and has been asked several times to back up his statements. He can't (or at least he won't). He wants Grandeur to go to Miami and seems to be in his own little fantasy world of think it, and it will happen. I looked at his recent posts and needed to go no further than "ship excursions are better coordinated" [than privately booked ones] to realize that he and I would never be on the same page.

Ignore him. SaintL has posted three times on this thread, and has been asked several times to back up his statements. He can't (or at least he won't). He wants Grandeur to go to Miami and seems to be in his own little fantasy world of think it, and it will happen. I looked at his recent posts and needed to go no further than "ship excursions are better coordinated" [than privately booked ones] to realize that he and I would never be on the same page.

He also seems to be a real Royal Caribbean expert :rolleyes: after having only cruised twice on them and one time was way back in 06'.:D

Hi gjkubel,

No Not a Typo. This is what I was told when I was on board and that RCCL might be planning to build a newer smaller ship just so it can fit under the bridge.

Wendy

2019??? is that typo. No way RCCL has planned that far out or is sharing it employees on the ship.

As far as Baltimore, the only options are the Vision class and Radiance class. would love to see a Radiance class vessel.

Hi gjkubel,

No Not a Typo. This is what I was told when I was on board and that RCCL might be planning to build a newer smaller ship just so it can fit under the bridge.

Wendy

Just curious, but where/who did this info come from?

It's probably just a rumor, but WOW a new smaller class of ship for RC would be amazing!!! :D

Hi OfTheSeasCruiser,

I am only repeating what I was told by one of the Staff on board the ship of a possible smaller ship so it could fit under the bridge. the Quantum and Oasis Class ships are to tall. I do hope that they do make the smaller ship and I really enjoy going out of Baltimore because I do not have to fly.

Just curious, but where/who did this info come from?

It's probably just a rumor, but WOW a new smaller class of ship for RC would be amazing!!! :D

Completely understand. The bridge in Tampa is very similar to the two bridges we have here in Maryland. We have sailed from Tampa on Radiance and Jewel and it is very much the same as sailing from Baltimore and under our bridges. IF they were to build a new ship, it would not have to be anything smaller, just another Radiance class ship.

Sailed on Jewel for two weeks during the holidays, a very nice ship. Have been on all the Radiance class ships, any one of those would be great for Baltimore.

Sailing on Grandeur in June.

Rick and Deirdra

I could certainly see RCI ordering a Royal version of the upcoming EDGE class ships that will debut with Celebrity - that would be "smaller" than the Quantum. Those could replace both Vision and Radiance class ships.

Edited by Biker19

Completely understand. The bridge in Tampa is very similar to the two bridges we have here in Maryland. We have sailed from Tampa on Radiance and Jewel and it is very much the same as sailing from Baltimore and under our bridges. IF they were to build a new ship, it would not have to be anything smaller, just another Radiance class ship.

Sailed on Jewel for two weeks during the holidays, a very nice ship. Have been on all the Radiance class ships, any one of those would be great for Baltimore.

Sailing on Grandeur in June.

Rick and Deirdra

Hi guys! Hope you had a great time over the holidays. Sally & I will be on the Grandeur the end of November. Looking forward to sailing on her again. More good news. I am retiring at the end of this month, so we will not be limited to the months that we may sail. Sally will be working for about another 2 years, but she can get time off at just about any time she wants.

As always, smooth sailing

Joe & Sally.

I could certainly see RCI ordering a Royal version of the upcoming EDGE class ships that will debut with Celebrity - that would be "smaller" than the Quantum. Those could replace both Vision and Radiance class ships.

Agreed, Quantum is an enhanced Solstice Class. We all said that Royal would never order smaller, but the EDGE class obviously proved us all wrong. After that their is no reason to not believe they wouldn't order smaller. Their will always be routes and ports that are profitable if they do not have to support 4,000+ guests each week. Variety is the key to success.

Agreed, Quantum is an enhanced Solstice Class. We all said that Royal would never order smaller, but the EDGE class obviously proved us all wrong. After that their is no reason to not believe they wouldn't order smaller. Their will always be routes and ports that are profitable if they do not have to support 4,000+ guests each week. Variety is the key to success.

Well said. Was not aware of the EDGE. Thanks.

R&D

There may be a precedent for that. I have heard it said:rolleyes: that Radiance class and Celebrity Millennium class shared a common basic design (the only thing I KNOW is that they are both PANAMAX).

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/14041760_Project_EDGE_PR/14041760_Project_EDGE.html says that EDGE ships will be 984 feet long, 123 feet wide and 190 feet high. 190 feet high is slightly too tall for either Baltimore or Tampa, but given that Oasis and Solstice have mast modifications to lower their air draft, I would think (hope?) that is considered in the design of EDGE.

Thom

I dont think i have to back up any statements just like the people posting here that baltimore has a huge following because they went on the cruise.

Time will tell if im wrong, not annoying posters.

and frankly I would want all these Vision ships out of the RCCL fleet.

I dont think i have to back up any statements just like the people posting here that baltimore has a huge following because they went on the cruise.

Your profile lists 31 cruises starting in 1998, including one future cruise in 2015, so presumably this is an up-to-date list.

Only 2 cruises listed were on RCI, NONE on a Vision class ship, so obviously you have great insight into this:rolleyes:

Does your experience with Baltimore match your experience with Vision class ships?

In 2013 the Baltimore Sun quotes the Port Of Baltimore estimate that ships leaving Baltimore average 2410 passengers. The only ships with regular service in Baltimore then were the Carnival Pride (2124 double occupancy berths; 2680 SOLAS maximum passengers) and Enchantment of the Seas (2252 double occupancy berths; 2440 SOLAS maximum passengers). Based on those numbers, ships out of Baltimore averaged just over 110% of double occupancy. This exceeds the industry average is about 105% of double occupancy. Although these numbers are a few years old (and Enchantment has been replaced with Grandeur), every indication is that the occupancy percentage is an accurate projection for the coming year.

Thom

Hi gjkubel,

Wendy

Really don't need a new smaller class. The current Radiance class ships can currently sail under both bridges.

A new "smaller" class ship? The bean counters in MIA would NEVER approve of that!

Rick and Deirdra

The way I interpret "smaller ships" is to mean smaller than RCI is building now - Oasis & Quantum Class, not smaller than Grandeur. So something along the line of Radiance class ship size but maybe a little larger. I had not heard of Celebrity EDGE ships until now but after doing a GIS, they sound like a great idea.

In 2013 the Baltimore Sun quotes the Port Of Baltimore estimate that ships leaving Baltimore average 2410 passengers. The only ships with regular service in Baltimore then were the Carnival Pride (2124 double occupancy berths; 2680 SOLAS maximum passengers) and Enchantment of the Seas (2252 double occupancy berths; 2440 SOLAS maximum passengers). Based on those numbers, ships out of Baltimore averaged just over 110% of double occupancy. This exceeds the industry average is about 105% of double occupancy. Although these numbers are a few years old (and Enchantment has been replaced with Grandeur), every indication is that the occupancy percentage is an accurate projection for the coming year.

Thom

Those are probably very similar numbers Carnival is getting with Pride as well.

Wow. We've sailed from Baltimore on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean on about 8 cruises. Never noticed any deep discounts to fill these sailings which always appeared booked well in advance of final payment.

We feel a six hour drive is actually easier to manage and less expensive than flying to our cruises even with a relaxing dinner and night at a local hotel in the area. One look at the population within a 3-6 hour drive time to Baltimore shows a massive number of prospective passengers willing to plunk down a healthy fare for the benefits of a 10 day (+/-) vacation from the Northeast with no worries of cancelled flights, baggage restrictions and all the other problems associated with flying to and from a port of embarkation.

We love the smaller ships and hope to continue sailing on them even if they are not quit as dynamic as the floating amusement parks of the megaships.

I do not understand what is SO bad about smaller ships???

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

There may be a precedent for that. I have heard it said:rolleyes: that Radiance class and Celebrity Millennium class shared a common basic design (the only thing I KNOW is that they are both PANAMAX).

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/14041760_Project_EDGE_PR/14041760_Project_EDGE.html says that EDGE ships will be 984 feet long, 123 feet wide and 190 feet high. 190 feet high is slightly too tall for either Baltimore or Tampa, but given that Oasis and Solstice have mast modifications to lower their air draft, I would think (hope?) that is considered in the design of EDGE.

Thom

Thanks for pulling the specs. One thing to consider, the Oasis had a failed retractable funnel design. The Quantum's is working though and required everytime she returns home. The new Oasis class builds are already confirmed to include the new functional design that Quantum has. The EDGE design may not be pushing boundaries like Oasis and Quantum when it comes to size, but I wonder if they would still consider including a retractable funnel for this purpose. The Quantum's can lower her height by 15 feet.

Thom

Of course, you know who would say this means nothing but, I sailed twice on the Grandeur in the span of a year, 2014 to be exact. All balconies and above were sold out and I had to settle for an ocean view. Both times, even though I was watching, wishing and hoping, nothing "better" ever opened up. Prices never dropped and close to sailing, the only cabins left were a few of the lowest category.

I have heard/read, that smaller ships are not as profitable as larger ships. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. If it is, the Grandeur could be considered a lost leader by getting people "hooked" who will then go on to bigger and better things.

Of course, you know who would say this means nothing but, I sailed twice on the Grandeur in the span of a year, 2014 to be exact. All balconies and above were sold out and I had to settle for an ocean view. Both times, even though I was watching, wishing and hoping, nothing "better" ever opened up. Prices never dropped and close to sailing, the only cabins left were a few of the lowest category.

I have heard/read, that smaller ships are not as profitable as larger ships. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. If it is, the Grandeur could be considered a lost leader by getting people "hooked" who will then go on to bigger and better things.

I totally agree with this. Our first cruise was on the "smaller" Pride and we got hooked, since then we have primarily sailed on the ships (Carnival and RCCL) out of Baltimore because it is only a 2.5 hour drive for us and the port is so easy! But we are flying to Tampa to sail the Pride back to Baltimore and after that we will be willing to fly to try other ships, bigger ships on any line!

I must say IMHO that if Carnival wasn't making money sailing from Baltimore they wouldn't have spent all that money on refurbing the Pride and then bringing it back to Baltimore for year-round sailings. They have also added longer more varied itineraries! It seems to me that they are investing in Baltimore because they are profitable. The repo cruise prices increased by 65% within 3 weeks of opening because of the demand. Final payment has past and the prices are still considerably higher than what I paid the first day the sailing opened. The response to this cruise and the future cruises out fo Baltimore have been amazing. Actually, the first cruise sailing from Baltimore the end of March is nearly as much for 7 days as I paid for the 14 day repo and it is selling just fine. :D

Edited by vlynn
correction