Talk of replacing Grandeur in Baltimore?

I do not understand what is SO bad about smaller ships???

bosco

Bosco,

I agree with everything that you say. There are many reasons that some people would prefer "smaller" ships.

They seem to be falling out of favor with the largest mass market lines (CCL, RCI, NCL). From a business perspective, larger ships provide economies of scale and more space for areas that attract families or increase onboard revenues. I believe that the only thing holding back even larger ships is limited number of ports with the infrastructure to handle ships the size of Oasis.

It seems odd that ships between 75,000 and 100,000 GRT are now considered "small". They may fall into an odd category where they are now too small the Oasis/Quantum crowd and too large for truly upscale category. I personally see a market for ships this size for those who prefer Celebrity/HAL/Princess types of cruises. Royal could order one or two of a Celebrity design to serve Baltimore/Tampa sized ports as the older ships are transitioned out of the fleet.

Really don't need a new smaller class. The current Radiance class ships can currently sail under both bridges.

A new "smaller" class ship? The bean counters in MIA would NEVER approve of that!

Rick and Deirdra

When I mentioned new smaller ships I was referring to Radiance size, instead of Oasis/Quantum size.

• 2 months later...

Hi all....I'm thinking of booking a cruise next year on the Granduer but when I read the reviews there are many negative reviews for this ship. From the food being bad....not enough food.....poor service and rooms not being up to par with mini fridges ect. Any comments would be very appreciated . Thanks

Food is very subjective. What I enjoy, you may not like at all. There are not as many places to get food as on the mega ships. However, there is enough that you will never go hungry. I have always had a mini fridge in my room, fully stocked with sodas and snacks. I just have the room steward empty fridge.

Yes, service is not as good as in the past, but this is fleet wide and not just on Grandeur.

Grandeur is a great ship with agood crew and we are looking forward to sailing her again in November.

Thanks for pulling the specs. One thing to consider, the Oasis had a failed retractable funnel design. The Quantum's is working though and required everytime she returns home. The new Oasis class builds are already confirmed to include the new functional design that Quantum has. The EDGE design may not be pushing boundaries like Oasis and Quantum when it comes to size, but I wonder if they would still consider including a retractable funnel for this purpose. The Quantum's can lower her height by 15 feet.

What was "failed" about the Oasis funnel design? It was designed for one purpose and that was to fit under the Great Belt bridge as it left Finland. If you ever watch the special about building the Oasis, it even states that was the only purpose of the retractable funnel and from what they said, there were no plans to retract it again.

We love the Grandeur and will be on the Vision in Nov/Dec. SaintL has no idea what he/she is talking about. The cruise port is easy to get in and out of, the ships sail full and we have never found the prices to drop and we book a year or more out. Those of us (and there are many) who have cruised on her love the ship. We have met people who have 8-10 cruises per year booked on her due to how close they live and the length of the cruises, as well as the friendliness of the crew and the overall great experience. We found, with the smaller ship that dinner is always hot and good. Heck, the bread comes out hot which we've never experienced on larger ships.

The larger ships are a draw for families and the demographic of those that have to be busy/entertained 100% of their time. That's been created by the current culture. That said, we have met families and young adults who like the peace and quiet and slower pace that is more common on the smaller ships. I think the cruiselines will hit a wall soon in terms of price and what people are looking for.

Edited by BND

We will be sailing on the Quantum in April and then our next cruise will be a B2B on the Grandeur in Oct/Nov. We have sailed the Grandeur 4 times and the Enchantment 7 times,. all out of Baltimore.

I love the atmosphere on the smaller ships. You get to know the crew much better, as well as your fellow passengers. It just seems to me to be a much more relaxing environment.

I don't think Baltimore has much to worry about, the ship usually sails full almost always.

Edited by starlake

We love the Grandeur and will be on the Vision in Nov/Dec. SaintL has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Amen.

We have been on 15+ Vision class cruises, have loved every one of them, just as much as the bigger/newer ships.

Rick and Deirdra

Edited by Pumbaamd

Besides the convenient access to a major airport (BWI) and the beautiful sail away down the Bay, there is one more compelling reason for a Floridian with easy access to 4 cruise ports by car, to get on an airplane and sail out of Baltimore - that reason is of course the beautiful island of Bermuda and its people. Having a couple sea days on both ends doesn't hurt either. It would be nice to get a regular Bermuda trip out of Port Canaveral with one of the speedy GTS Radiance ships but until that day happens (if ever) sailing out of Baltimore works for us. Doing our honeymoon trip on GOTS in a couple months ;-)

It has been discussed this week on Grandeur that she will indeed be leaving Baltimore -- probably to replace Majesty. There will be another ship replacing her -- probably a vision class. Grandeur is scheduled to be in Baltimore through most of 2016 at this point. This is coming from some of the officers onboard the ship presently.

It has been discussed this week on Grandeur that she will indeed be leaving Baltimore -- probably to replace Majesty. There will be another ship replacing her -- probably a vision class. Grandeur is scheduled to be in Baltimore through most of 2016 at this point. This is coming from some of the officers onboard the ship presently.

The Enchantment is taking over for the Majesty.

I started cruising last year & my first cruise was on the Grandeur. Since then, I have sailed again on her & have 2 more cruises booked on her. I also have a cruise booked on the Pride out of Baltimore next year. This port is so convenient for us, only less than 2 hours away. I don't have to worry about the hassle of flying & my hubby doesn't fly anyway. I can also get somebody to take us to & from the port. How much easier can it get!!! I love GOS. It feels like home by now. The crew has been very polite & friendly & the passengers have been friendly. I haven't made any lasting friendships yet but hopefully I will in the future.

I think my friend (who I have sailed with once & have one booked) will want to try a different ship next so I will probably have to fly. I'm not too keen on flying but I will give it a try. I told her the next cruise is her choice.

I also heard that the GOS will be making a 12 or 13 day cruise out of Baltimore so I'm watching for that itinerary to book.

Edited by PTAngel

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions for the Grandeur When I book I'll definitely keep this ship in mind. I'm lucky....cape liberty and Baltimore are about the same distance away from me. So I can drive to either one :-)

Edited by balboa2151

It would be nice to get a regular Bermuda trip out of Port Canaveral with one of the speedy GTS Radiance ships but until that day happens (if ever) sailing out of Baltimore works for us.

Vision did three trips to Bermuda last summer from FLL. None have been rescheduled for 2015.

Rick

Grandeur will probably remain in Baltimore until another ship equipped with exhaust gas scrubbers can be found to replace her. Without the scrubbers, the ship must burn diesel fuel, which currently is twice as expensive as residual fuel, and the long run down the Chesapeake takes up a lot of fuel. RCI is installing scrubbers as ships go to drydock, but this is expensive and time consuming, as the work typically takes longer than a normal drydock period to complete.

Grandeur will probably remain in Baltimore until another ship equipped with exhaust gas scrubbers can be found to replace her. Without the scrubbers, the ship must burn diesel fuel, which currently is twice as expensive as residual fuel, and the long run down the Chesapeake takes up a lot of fuel. RCI is installing scrubbers as ships go to drydock, but this is expensive and time consuming, as the work typically takes longer than a normal drydock period to complete.

The Radiance class wouldn't need the scrubbers, and those are the tallest ships that can sail from Baltimore, anyway. So, either they replace her with another vision class, which doesn't really seem necessary, or bring a Radiance class over.

The Radiance class wouldn't need the scrubbers, and those are the tallest ships that can sail from Baltimore, anyway. So, either they replace her with another vision class, which doesn't really seem necessary, or bring a Radiance class over.

While the Radiance class does have the gas turbines, I believe they run a diesel in port, but I don't know if they use diesel fuel in it to make a uni-fuel ship, or whether they burn residual fuel, which would require the scrubber.

We just got off the Grandeur on 3/13. At the Q & A with the Capt., ... and others, the Capt., made no mention of the G leaving Baltimore, except for the redo in 2017.

He also stated the RC loved the Baltimore port, very profitable. If they can stay, whether it be the G, or another ship they will stay.

Edited by WetToes

Balboa 2151 - Sure. We've sailed her a few times, and we're doing her again in Oct. for the New England cruise.

We like her fine enough, but she is showing some wear. Some cosmetic, some a bit more major. Some damage that was done a couple of years ago has been band-aided.

The Capt. said that would be taken care of in 2017.

Our bed (balc. room) was so low to the floor we could not get our luggage beneath it to store. That was a first. We placed ours between the desk and the door wall, stacked. Worked okay and it was out of the way.

The crew was hard working and friendly, for the most part, but really looked exhausted by the last few days.

The entertainment, some okay, some good. Everyone's taste in different so ... that's all I have to say about that.

Our biggest complaint, the buffet. The food for the most part was so bland and boring. From the main courses to the desserts. BLAH!

Next cruise we'll definitely do the dining room more.

I think the only way to know if it's for you, is try it. If you don't, you'll wonder. If you do, you'll know.

Hope I've helped.

Edited by WetToes

While the Radiance class does have the gas turbines, I believe they run a diesel in port, but I don't know if they use diesel fuel in it to make a uni-fuel ship, or whether they burn residual fuel, which would require the scrubber.

I don't know if this helps you determine the fuel, but I asked one fo the chief engineers once, and he said they had to put in new fuel tanks for the diesel engine.