Talk of replacing Grandeur in Baltimore?

We just completed 28nts (3 B2B's) on the Grandeur. Not only is it our favorite ship (we prefer small ships having sailed on every class), but in our opinion, Baltimore is the most efficient port having sailed out of most ports in the US and abroad, the worst being the Miami and FT Lauderdale ports. Not only is the staff at the Baltimore port the most friendly and accommodating, but they are very professional making everyone feel welcomed. The same goes for the staff on the Grandeur. They can't do enough for you. Thus the reason most of the Baltimore sailings are sold out. It would be great if RCCL considered adding a second ship to the Baltimore port with longer sailings.

I'm not sure when you got off, but Grandeur will do 12-night sailings to Barbados next year.

On my all Access tour I learned Grandeur is currently getting scrubbers installed while in service. Grandeur will be Baltmore's ship for the foreseeable future.

Roy

We love the port of Baltimore - and truly enjoy our time on Grandeur OTS. We also truly enjoyed our time on Enchantment OTS when she was sailing from Baltimore.

The 12-night itinerary with Barbados sounds exciting to me. I am waiting to see the Winter / Spring schedule posted.

We would love to sail from Baltimore again. We really enjoyed Enchantment when she was there, sailed on her twice. Grandeur, however,it is probably the most handicapped UN-friendly ship in the fleet. The staff was quite willing to provide us with adaptations to raise the bed and toilet seat but finding a low commode and bed in an accessible cabin was quite a shock. PLEASE RCI, find another ship or bring Encantment of the Seas back to Maryland.

I think you mean Vision class.

Vision class ships i.e. Grandeur of the Seas , Enchantment of the Seas currently sail or sailed from Baltimore.

Radiance class ships i.e. Jewel of the Seas etc. would fit under both bridges.

They reply to the post was about Freedom class ships.

I'm not sure when you got off, but Grandeur will do 12-night sailings to Barbados next year.

On my all Access tour I learned Grandeur is currently getting scrubbers installed while in service. Grandeur will be Baltmore's ship for the foreseeable future.

Roy

How do you know this?

Beat me to it. Now, Liberty has had scrubbers for 2-3 years now, and Freedom is getting them now, so either of those two could go to Baltimore, as I believe Freedom class fits under the bridge.

Nothing larger than the Grandeur can fit under the bridge.

Well im thinking by the next deployment 2017-2018 Legend will probably have been sold off and none of the vision class ships are safe.

While that may very well be the case, in the Ovation to China press release from RCI they stated :

Royal Caribbean also is exploring new ways to engage the Chinese economy and help create more Chinese jobs. The cruise line is investigating potential Chinese drydock facilities to revitalize Legend of the Seas as early as 2018; logistics centers in China to supply its ships deployed in the region; and an inbound-tourism business model to bring thousands of North American vacationers to experience China.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1138/royal-caribbean-expands-deployment-and-investment-in-china-vacation-market/

As I have stated earlier in the thread they have also booked a Grandeur dry dock for 3 weeks in 2017, with the ship scheduled to return to Baltimore at that time.

Edited by MADflyer

• 5 weeks later...
I just don't think sailing from Baltimore has been that successful, I would say that once the agreement with the port expires they are out,

Saint L, Have you ever cruised out of Baltimore? Every time we go out of there the ships are full.

Not sure where you are getting this from.

Just saying, those of us from the DC and outlying areas use this port all the time and I don't think they are going anywhere. :cool:

Saint L, Have you ever cruised out of Baltimore? Every time we go out of there the ships are full.

Not sure where you are getting this from.

Just saying, those of us from the DC and outlying areas use this port all the time and I don't think they are going anywhere. :cool:

Carnival & Royal sailings have been very successful out of Baltimore.

Our last cruise (March), the captain said so. There have also been articles in the local paper stating the same thing.

They won't be going anywhere :), unless things change drastically.

We have sailed from Baltimore several times. It is an easy port to get through and easy to access via I-95.

I have also noted that prices for grandeur are higher than for similar length cruises on Florida based Vision class ships. Prices are not that much less than some of the newer ships. [of course not the Q class, etc]

If they left Baltimore they would be leaving a very large market. I can not see doing that.

I wish they would bring a newer ship to Baltimore--but, there are bridge and turning basin issues with that.

I usually like the smaller ships......around 2000-2500 guests.....the only thing that keeps me from sailing on the Grandeur is the age and size of the rooms....ect. I wish they would bring a newer ship in. Guess they'll never be able to get a larger ship in unless a miracle takes place?:)

The radiance Class ships have an air draft of 172' so theoretically should be able to navigate under both bridges. At double occupancy they are roughly 200 pax more than the Grandeur (all berths filled about the same capacity between ships). I think once the next ship class is built and Vision Class retirements start in earnest we will see a Radiance class in Baltimore, but that is 6-8 years down the road at minimum. As long as Grandeur commands a fare premium, sails full and sails profitably she stays. Royal is committed to the Mid-Atlantic market and has a VERY loyal customer base.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

We have sailed out of Baltimore 3 times, once on Enchantment and twice on Grandeur...they were 3 of the quickest and easiest embarkations...the convenience to I-95 is a plus! I will admit that the Vision Class is not as thrilling as a larger class would be...I do prefer a larger ship.

Spanky