Just off the Navigator - a few suite observations

DebJ14

We were on the Aug 31 - Sept 7 sailing of the NOS from Galveston. Embarkation was the pits. It took us an hour from the time we finally got to the door of the terminal to get checked in. Only 2 security lanes were open when we were going through and they had no one to assist the 4 lines to merge down to two. The women working in the terminal were less than friendly. The check in guy messed up the pictures on our cards and we had to have them retaken when we disembarked in Cozumel. There were random strangers in the pictures.

We were in a Royal Family Suite - best decision I ever made to upgrade after they dropped the price and the occupancy restriction. We were traveling with our adult son so it worked out great for him to have his own bedroom and bathroom. We enjoyed the living room and spent lots of time out on the balcony. The cons to the suite are that the balcony can be viewed from those above and we could look down on the balcony below, but it made for a festive atmosphere and we got to know our balcony neighbors. And the big con was all the soot on the balcony that the steward never attempted to clean up. We ended up wiping down the dining table on the balcony so we could use it and going for fresh beach towels when they got soot on them. It did get on some of our clothes, but Shout got it out this afternoon when I did the laundry.

We had room service one morning and ate breakfast in Chops all the other mornings. Service in Chops on the NOS was not nearly as good as on the Voyager and Mariner, but still better than going through the line in the Windjammer.

I ended up only eating in the MDR one night. They knew we were gluten free and we ordered accordingly, yet I was sick all the first night from the food at dinner and felt awful the first sea day and in Cozumel on Tuesday. Definitely got glutened in the MDR. I was kind of ticked because we paid for Mr. Sanchos and I was too sick to eat or drink anything. We went back to the ship around 12:30 so I could go back to bed because I felt so bad. I haven't felt that bad in 7 years and it was the first time I had a problem with the supposedly gluten free food on a cruise ship. I ended up not eating from after dinner on Sunday until Tuesday evening. DH went to the MDR on formal night (Monday) while our son stayed with me in the cabin instead of going to dinner. He ordered off the MDR menu. He thought the food was terrible and it was the formal night food. We decided to skip the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

Instead of the tired cocktail party for suite guests they had a nice dinner in the Windjammer on Tuesday evening with the Captain and officers. An officer hosted each table. They served Shrimp, lobster tails and filet mignon, plus before dinner bellinis, mimosas or champagne and free flowing wine throughout dinner.

We had an OK dinner at Chops. Not fans of the new menu. The shrimp on the shrimp cocktail were huge, but were tough and tasteless. The filets were all cooked the way we ordered them. Sorry, but the Carnival steakhouse shrimp cocktail is head and shoulders above Chops. In fact we had better meals in the Carnival Steakhouses than in Chops on this cruise.

We also ate at Giovanni's Table one night and enjoyed that.

The best food and service we had on the ship was in Sabor. We liked it so much that we made a last minute decision to eat there again the last night. The Guacamole and Grand Sabor Margaritas prepared tableside were excellent. Try dipping the bacon wrapped jalapeno stuffed chicken in the Queso Fundido for an explosion of flavors. Our waiter Alvaro was so fantastic we requested him again for our second visit to Sabor.

Richard, the bar waiter in the CL was attentive and quickly learned our preferences. Ricardo the Concierge was pleasant, but we preferred Luca Lorio on the Mariner. The only thing we asked of him was to change a dinner reservation, which he did promptly. Funny how he was much nicer to us in Chops on debarkation morning after getting a nice tip the night before. Otherwise, he seemed aloof. Unfortunately, we saw lots of people give nothing to either the Concierge or either of the bar waiters.

The most disturbing thing we came away with was the thought that RCCL was being Carnivalized. There were endless announcements pushing bingo, it was so loud by the main pools that we left immediately and they had Carnival like activities like the belly flop contest by the pool. Also, there were kids in diapers in the pool and no one said a word, so for us the pools were off limits.

We liked the new pier at Falmouth. We took the excursion to Red Stripe Beach (about a 10 minute bus ride). DH talked to some people who said it was horrible, but we went and had a great time. I rented a cabana and 3 chairs on arrival and we had great service all day from April. She brought us drinks and lunch. We ended up spending an additional $125 with the rental and the food and drinks, plus the $28.00 pp for the tickets, so it was not a cheap day. Mr. Sanchos is a much better value. There was a lot of sea grass washing up on the beach, but they raked it and hauled it away as fast as they could. We spent lots of time in the water. It would be a good idea to bring water shoes as there are some sea urchins in the grassy areas.

Tendering in Grand Cayman was a mess. We were told to be in the theater for an 8:15 departure. We were told to proceed down to the tender around 8:40, but ended up standing in a long line that snaked down the stairs. We got on the first tender after a long hot wait and got ashore only to find that many people on our tour did not get on our tender. We had to wait on the pier for the rest of the people and finally got in the bus at 11:30am. We did the glass bottom boat and city tour. We enjoyed the boat and our son had never seen anything but the shopping area and beach on his previous visits, so it was definitely worthwhile, except for the hurry up and wait.

They need to do what Carnival and HAL do. When they have all the tours meeting in the theater they give either a numbered sticker or colored sticker so all the people on the same tour have the same number or color. They call the tours to board the tenders by number or color and that way they are sure all tour participants are on the same tender boat. If they had done that we could have had 2 hours more of free time to enjoy Grand Cayman.

The elevator area and elevators were hot all week - seemed like there was no AC in the area. Never experienced that before on any other ship.

Disembarkation was the best we have ever had. We were told to be in Chops anytime after 7am for an 8:30 debark time. At 8:10 Ricardo got the call to send us down. We checked off the ship, went down to the terminal, got a porter, found our luggage and zipped through immigration and customs. The porters did not have to stand in the long line of self-assist people. They were directed into the immigration line at the front of the line. We were put in a lane with nobody ahead of us. The guy glanced at our passports and we were on our way. The porter took our luggage out to the EZ Cruise meeting place and they had just enough room for us. We were at our car at 8:30 and home by 9:40. Definitely get a porter. We could not understand why someone wouldn't tip a few bucks to miss standing in a line that snaked around the entire periphery of the terminal.

It was an OK cruise, not great. But, with the Carnivalization of RCCL we are seriously thinking of canceling the cruise we have booked on the Liberty for next November and doing something else. We will probably wait and see how our Jan. cruise goes on Princess. If Princess is as good as it was last year we will probably stick with them in the future. Too bad because we made Diamond on RCI with this cruise.

We enjoyed the ice show - better than the one on the Mariner last year. We saw the Beach Boys show, but never made it to anything else. They were great when they sang, but trying to put a plot to the music was just lame. There were so many conflicts with activities so we ended up skipping most of the shows in favor of doing other things. All in all I would say we definitely had much better cruises on the Mariner and Voyager than the Navigator.

FYI - Capt. Martinsen left on vacation today to be replaced by Capt. Klaus (SP?) Quite a few crew members were not happy with that news!

Edited by DebJ14

We have been given numbers/or tickets when going on cruise ship tours. We would meet and then be told to get our ticket or provided before going in to wait for our group.

RCI has done the belly flop, etc things since we've been cruising. This seemed to make a certain group of people very happy. We always try to stay away when those are going on and not have too much issue. Sorry you did.

Do you know if Chops at breakfast is only for Suite and Diamond Plus and above?

Appreciated your review.

I guess the carnivalization has been goin on since 1999. All those things I clearly remember on every single one of my RCCL cruises since 99. Also, on every single group excursion, we have always been given a circular colored sticker with a number on it. I wonder what happened in regards to the sticker program on your cruise. I have never experienced a diapered baby in the pool yet, and hope never to. I'm very sorry they allowed that. Not right at all.

Thank you for your review.

Edited by Moltar

We were on this cruise, too. Hi, Deb! Sorry we didn't cross paths.

This was our first RCCL cruise, so everything was a new procedure. Embarkation was surprisingly quick and uneventful for us. We arrived in Galveston about 10:45. We stood in the priority embarkation line for suites and Crown & Anchor status (attained through our X sailings) until 11:00, made it through security and then check-in by 11:15. We were onboard by 11:30. As the cabins were not ready until 12:30, we skipped the Windjammer and walked around the ship. Our luggage was delivered about 1:15 and we unpacked/relaxed until the safety drill. We'd grade embarkation as an A.

We also dined in Sabor twice. It was relaxing due to the service and menu... and the tequila laced sangria!

We chose early walk-off disembarkation... it was a breeze. We were in our vehicle by 7:20 and home in Sugar Land by 8:30.

We've come to the conclusion that every line has it's strengths and weaknesses. We loved our cabin (Large Panoramic Oceanview on the 12th floor) for the price we paid. We did not care for the food in the Windjammer. Very inferior quality and selection compared to other lines we have sailed.

Bottom line... we'd sail the Navigator again if we could get the cabin we like for a reasonable price. However, it would not be our first choice out of the Galveston/Houston area.

Our next cruise is on the Royal Princess out of Brooklyn in October. A new adventure (flying ... UGH!) awaits!

B

Well, this post scared me a little as I'll be onboard NOS in two weeks, but I have to remind myself that everyone's experience is different...and I won't be at work...and I'll be with 18 of my best buddies...and I won't be at work...and.....:cool:.

Well, this post scared me a little as I'll be onboard NOS in two weeks, but I have to remind myself that everyone's experience is different...and I won't be at work...and I'll be with 18 of my best buddies...and I won't be at work...and.....:cool:.

That's a great attitude. You'll have an enjoyable time.... No cooking, cleaning, shopping or ... WORK!

B

I was on this cruise, also. We had a good time. Embarkation and debarkation were not bad for us. The line through security was a huge holdup (30 minutes), but once through it was 10 minutes before we were on board. Walked on the ship at 11:20 A.M. We didn't have to sit in the chairs, as walked right on board.

We went up to the Windjammer buffet and was completely disappointed. Food is school cafeteria quality and sub standard of any cruise we have ever been on. No presentation and just dropped into big "chipped" pots, then placed under heat lamps. They need to go over to Princess to see how it should be done. We ended up eating in the MDR for almost all meals, which were very good. Tremendous wait team (Melvine and Anthony) in My Time Dining. Giovanni's Table was excellent for dinner. The crab ravioli's and filet mignon were wonderful. Café Promenade was OK for snacks.

Enjoyed the shows, especially the ice show, Beach Boy tribute show and the first comedian (Ed Regine). I was amazed how the theater was only half full for all the shows. Maybe it was because the shows for the late diners was held at 6:30 P.M. Mitch Merucci was a better then average CD, who was always out and about.

We found the service to be top notch throughout the ship. No complaints there.

An enjoyable cruise vacation.

Tendering in Grand Cayman was a mess. We were told to be in the theater for an 8:15 departure. We were told to proceed down to the tender around 8:40, but ended up standing in a long line that snaked down the stairs. We got on the first tender after a long hot wait and got ashore only to find that many people on our tour did not get on our tender. We had to wait on the pier for the rest of the people and finally got in the bus at 11:30am.

If they had done that we could have had 2 hours more of free time to enjoy Grand Cayman.

I found your missing 2 hours

It was the real long tender ride you had, since we didn't get to GC, till a little before 10am;):p

Boarding

We were on the same cruise and saw some issues with boarding

Dropped off by our driver @ 1030 am, stood in priority line outside

Once they opened the doors the lady pointed us to the priority line to the left inside.

After everyone was put in the priority line the rest of the cruisers, that wernt priority, were put in the other 3 lines:confused:

Than one of those line merged with ours:confused:

Only 2 security stations open:confused:

other than that it went rather quickly

We were 3rd group to board, onboard ship by 1120

When we sailed on the Nav may25th we showed up at noon and walked straight thru security but took alot longer to get thru checkin process

Dining

Went to Chops the first night, for 20% OFF, service was lousy, but the filet was the second best ever at sea.

The manager offered us a 50% discount if we dined there later in the cruise but we already had plans for Sabor

Sabor we also got 20% off

If you book right after the guacamole demonstration on the lido deck, the first sea day, they give you a discount.

Since we had found this out on the last cruise, we just asked when making the booking after boarding

MDR food was better this time than in May.

The WJ food was hit and miss but I never went hungry:o

Disembarking

It was a CF

we had group 4 tags and when we were called we headed down from our cabin only to see others with 17,20 and 21 in line. REALLY?????

When we got inside the terminal, all the porters were lined up with bags and about 50 people inline waiting for a porter.

We got our bags and it took them our self and It took about 45 minutes to get thru immigration

it took us about 10 minutes on the last cruise

Edited by jonbgd

Thanks for all your comments - OP and the others on the sailing.

We've seen the pool games on Royal AND Celebrity. I don't think Carnival has the exclusive on adults acting goofy.

I know suites can eat in Chops for breakfast. Does anyone know if Diamond and Diamond Plus have a designated area? Giovannis or a dining room section?

Bottom line... we'd sail the Navigator again if we could get the cabin we like for a reasonable price. However, it would not be our first choice out of the Galveston/Houston area.

What would be your first choice out of Galveston if you don't mind me asking?

For everyone mentioning the Windjammer's food, was it worse on this cruise than normal or about the same? I've always thought the Windjammer had pretty cheap food, but good enough to eat and be happy with the meal.

What would be your first choice out of Galveston if you don't mind me asking?

For everyone mentioning the Windjammer's food, was it worse on this cruise than normal or about the same? I've always thought the Windjammer had pretty cheap food, but good enough to eat and be happy with the meal.

Good Question...

Traveling with children/grandchildren... Carnival Magic

No kids/Non-suite accommodations... Emerald/Caribbean Princess

No kids/Suite accommodations.... NCL Jewel

Specials/pricing certainly make a difference.

We actually like buffet food on some ships. The quality and variety of the food in the Windjammer was below anything we've previously experienced. I don't know how it compares with other RCCL ships as this was our first time on Royal Caribbean.

Please keep in mind everyone has different expectations and preferences. We had a great time on the Navigator. Choices are a good thing.

BTW.. The Captain was a hoot! We really liked him.

B

Edited by bellebaby

we were on the nos in may. We had a great time. I hope people aren't turned off cruising with rccl/nos with this post. I know we have our own opinions, and i'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but newbies come to this sight to get ideas. Why go into a cruise with all bad instead of good? You did point out some good things, but i wouldn't want to cruise if I saw this. Luckily we have cruise with rccl and many things you mention were on the other ships. Just to be able to relax and watch everything going on, especially when we can't cruise 2 and 3 times a year. In life, we all have hurry up and wait, and when there's so many people on board, it's hard to please everyone.

i had a problem with my key card not working and having to get 3 more at different occasions, but the CS guy said are you holding your card up? so the last day i told him i had my card in the air all the time. It's the little things that makes me feel good. We had a great cabin steward, we did have a JR suite. So for all those that are thinking of NOS, give it a try, especially if it's your first, you will be amazed.

Chops breakfast and lunch were marked as "gold colored sea pass only" (suites and pinnacle). Never saw a designated breakfast / lunch for diamond/diamond+. We are not in that category, so didn't look though.

Always had great service in those venues a month back. MDR for breakfast/lunch was always slow.

Good Question...

Traveling with children/grandchildren... Carnival Magic

No kids/Non-suite accommodations... Emerald/Caribbean Princess

No kids/Suite accommodations.... NCL Jewel

Specials/pricing certainly make a difference.

We actually like buffet food on some ships. The quality and variety of the food in the Windjammer was below anything we've previously experienced. I don't know how it compares with other RCCL ships as this was our first time on Royal Caribbean.

Please keep in mind everyone has different expectations and preferences. We had a great time on the Navigator. Choices are a good thing.

BTW.. The Captain was a hoot! We really liked him.

B

I agree with your cruise choices except for the non-suite on Princess. We had a great cruise on the Caribbean Princess in an aft Penthouse suite. They have some nice suite perks too. We are looking forward to the Emerald Princess in Jan.

We have been on 5 NCL cruises and are just not big fans of NCL so I doubt we will do the Jewel.

Carnival Magic was great for our grandkids with the waterworks, slides and ropes, but their parents will never go Carnival again since the service on our last cruise together was awful.

Once the Carnival Freedom gets here we will probably take the grandkids on that, especially since it has Guys Burgers and the Blue Iguana Cantina. We like that class of ship better than the Magic.

I had one salad from the Windjammer on embarkation day, so I really can't comment on the food up there. On Princess we never did the buffet since they have MDR lunch on embarkation and if the MDR was not open we called room service.

I refused to set foot in the Lido restaurant on the Magic (and the Breeze) because the flooring is so slick. I fell the first day on one of the cruises and with my bad back I was in a bad way the entire cruise. At least on the Breeze we could go to Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina without going inside the Lido restaurant.

On this cruise each time we thought we would sit by the pool we found the music LOUDER than it ever was on the Carnival Magic and we thought that was pretty loud. We spent lots of time at the pool on the Voyager and Mariner and never were subjected to the belly flop contest and other shenanigans at the pool and have never experienced anything that loud, even on Carnival.

I didn't say we had a bad time - just not as good as we had on the Voyager and Mariner. We too liked the Captain. It was our 3rd time to sail with him - we had him twice before on the Voyager.

I am not stuck on any one cruise line. This was cruise # 54 for me. We like HAL and Celebrity and are also looking forward to a Yacht Club cabin on MSC to Bermuda.

Our experience getting on and off the ship was pretty much opposite to yours. Our shuttle picked us up at the Galveston beach hotel at 11:40. At 12:15 we were sitting at the pub having our first drink. Getting off the ship was bad. After snaking through the line we had a really long wait to get to the customs checkout. We are non US residents. They only had 1 line for non US travellers so that really slowed us up. We really enjoyed our week on NOS and would cruise on her again if the price was right.

We got to the pier after 1pm, so there was hardly no line.

Being Platinum, there was only 5 people in front of us,

so it took about 5 minutes to get our cards.

We ate in the MDR every night,

and all 6 of us where very happy with our meal choices.

The lobsters where bigger than what we remembered from the Mariner cruise.

I just love the cold fruit soups, they never disappoint me.

The Windjammer was quick and had very fresh fruit, and breads.

I always go to the back and get a fresh made omelet. ( go there first and order, then get your other foods. )

On sea days we ate in the MDR as well,

They where a little slow, but found the food good.

Always like the fresh salad bar.

The promenade café had great cheesecake lollipops, fresh cookies, and tasty fresh pizza !

The one complaint was we did not have much time in the ports.

We did self disembark, so we where off at 7:45 and in the car by 8:30.

Loved the ice show, the silent Disco, the comedians, and the Broadway shows.

Mr. Sancho's was great. The coconut shrimp, and dirty monkeys,

were plentiful and Jose always had our back, and gave great service.

Edited by Bigtex1622

I hope people aren't turned off cruising with rccl/nos with this post. I know we have our own opinions, and i'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but newbies come to this sight to get ideas. Why go into a cruise with all bad instead of good? You did point out some good things, but i wouldn't want to cruise if I saw this.

Have you read some of the reviews on the Member review page for the Navigator of the Seas ? Many of them say the NOS is basically a floating garbage barge that purposely tortures and starves the passengers. All the above reviews pointed out their personal experiences. Most of us have many cruises under our belts. I would also say that 85% of the comments are positive. My only negative was the Windjammer, but we worked around it, and still had a good time. Our MDR wait staff were the kindest, friendliest, and most professional staff we have ever had. Lobster were the biggest I have seen in years, and my waiter even brought us another without us asking. Embarkation and debarkation was all over the place based on when you got on/off the ship. That happens on a lot of cruises. Timing is everything.

I got tender tickets (#7) at 8:40 A.M., for our independent excursion in Grand Cayman. We sat in the Promenade Café, beginning at 11:30 A.M. while having a snack, and listened for our number to be called. We got on the tender around 11:50 A.M. Coming back, at 4:30 P.M we walked onto a tender with no wait.

All of us seemed to have a good time. But, there other choices out of the Houston/Galveston area, so to each is own. Carnival, Princess, RCCL, and NCL all have a ship(s) that sails from South Texas. Choice is a wonderful thing. It keeps the prices down (a bit).

We still like the RCCL product enough that my next cruise is a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. After that, who knows which way my sail will blow.

Edited by big_schots

We were on the 8/24 NOS cruise which was our third on her this year. Other than debarkation it was a great cruise. I love Ricardo. I think he is one of the most engaged personable concierges we have ever encountered and this was our 29th RCCL cruise. Choice is a wonderful thing. We can all choose the cruise line that is right for us.

I refused to set foot in the Lido restaurant on the Magic (and the Breeze) because the flooring is so slick. I fell the first day on one of the cruises and with my bad back I was in a bad way the entire cruise.

I fell in the Lido on the Magic too. We usually have a Spa Balcony all the way forward, so we now go to the floor below the Lido and walk all the way aft, up one floor into the Lido. My DH holds on to my elbow to ensure I don't fall again. I feel like Miss Daisy! One of these days we'll fall together!

B

The reviews have indeed been all over the map. And as far as the pool deck goes, we love having the music blaring and even the silly contests which have been on EVERY SINGLE CRUISE WE'VE DONE are ok with us. We don't really participate but enjoy the energy and watching people cut loose and have fun.

The reviews have indeed been all over the map. And as far as the pool deck goes, we love having the music blaring and even the silly contests which have been on EVERY SINGLE CRUISE WE'VE DONE are ok with us. We don't really participate but enjoy the energy and watching people cut loose and have fun.

I agree with you on this. I love people watching and seeing all the fun going on. We are sailing the Navigator in April and again when she moves to Fort Lauderdale Feb 2016. We sailed on the NOS from NOLA in 2013 and had a blast. can't wait to sail her again and to see the changes.

Dave