Mykonos tour to Delos

Scarlet and grey

We have not been to Delos on a Celebrity excursion, but with another cruise line. If you are an archeological fan or into legends, this sacred island is worth spending a few hours on. No one lives there and the best way to go is probably on a ship excursion. If ruins and legends are not your thing - don't bother. Sometimes heavy seas make the crossing difficult.

We did that excursion a couple of years ago. It was one of the best we have ever done. The Greek guides are fantastic. They add a lot. I would do it again. When you get back to Mycanos do lunch at one of the cafes facing the harbor. It was beautiful and great food.

Another DIY'er here. We did this on Constellation. We took the shuttle from the port into town, but later found out there are public busses as well. Anyway, once in town, we walked through town to the far side of the harbor where there is a cute little church. We bought our tickets from a kiosk nearby. Enjoyed Delos and were back in town in time for a late lunch. Don't miss the museum while on Delos.

Caveat ... this was late in the season (mid-November), so there were no other ships sharing the port. In the high season, ferry tickets may be harder to come by.

Even though we usually go DIY, we took this tour through Celebrity. We were happy we did. We had no wait to get to the ferry. The tour guide was informative. There was a nice museum with artifacts. Overall it was a nice day and we had time to shop at the end of the day.

I can't recommend the Celebrity tour enough. Our guide had a PhD in archaeology and studied the site in his career. His knowledge was top notch. Our boat ride over was bumpy, but tolerable. It departed from the cruise pier and dropped us off in town. A shuttle bus took us back to the ship from town.

We normally book independently too but the Celebrity tour to De Los was great and we were so glad we took it. Made the stop there much more memorable. On our 2nd visit to Mykonos we opted to just walk around the town and had lunch and while it was nice the visit to De Los was MUCH better.

We also took the celebrity tour and it was one of our most memorable. We felt on this particular tour, to do it oneself would certainly not have done it justice at all. The guide was fantastic and truly brought back to life a time and place that have since been abandoned. Don't miss the opportunity to see this amazing place.

We did the Celebrity tour of Delos and it was super. The ferry boat picked us up from the dock next to where the ship docket, about a mile or so from the downtown dock where the ferry boats dock. After the tour, which was excellent, the ferry boat took us to the town docks where we spent some time in the city, before taking the shuttle bus back to the ship.

You can do it yourself, but you have to get to the downtown dock and wait for the next ferry. You will arrive after the X tours.

I recommend taking the X excursions, the price was reasonable and you have an excellent guide, instead of trying to figure out what is what on the island.

Thanks everyone, love CC for all the great information. We will definitely do a tour. Now deciding between Celebrity excursion or delostours.com. Slight more cost with celebrity, but with these rave reviews, might be worth it.

We will be there early October and 1 other ship arrives before ours.

Absolutely LOVED the Celebrity tour to Delos. The place was magical, the guide excellent and the stray kittys adorable. Lots of time to have a nice lunch on Mykonos, shop and then stop in a little museum on the way back to the shuttle that was devoted to pottery. Great day!

It is a very easy tour to do yourself and save a lot of money.

At the harbour that you dock is the same place to catch the ferry that takes you to Delos and you buy your ticket from the kiosk right there. The Celebrity tour people will be on the same boat. It is a short sail to Delos. There are lots of stray cats there but no people live there. The one thing that I didn't care for about Delos is that many of the ruins you are looking at are replicas with the original sitting in a museum - either in Athens or England. It reminds me of going to Florence and seeing several statues of David and wondering where the original is. But it is an interesting couple of hours all the same.

We have not been to Delos on a Celebrity excursion, but with another cruise line. If you are an archeological fan or into legends, this sacred island is worth spending a few hours on. No one lives there and the best way to go is probably on a ship excursion. If ruins and legends are not your thing - don't bother. Sometimes heavy seas make the crossing difficult.

I would agree here, also having done it on another line. The seas were very rough. Our excursion was in the morning and the return trip was kind of scary with the boat tossing and people getting sick. A tug held our ship at the dock in the rough seas. Afternoon trips were canceled.

I'd recommend taking the ship's excursion as it's a wonderful place, not to be missed IMHO.

Took the Delos tour in 2009 but the sea got so rough we had to leave early. We only saw the Roman ruins and a little bit of the Greek side. Since we really enyoy archeological sites, we took the tour again in 2012. This time we started with the Greek ruins. It was like a new tour. Since then we have not been afrade to do tours we liked more than once, especially at common ports like Naples and Athens. Maybe we have just been lucky but it's worked for us.

We did the Celebrity excursion to Delos a few years ago. I remember when doing research on planning our own excursion I was advised that sometimes (often?) the seas can get very rough quickly which could delay a ferry returning and that for that reason alone we took the X tour rather than doing it on our own.

I usually do prefer DIY but in a few cases where missing the boat is a serious factor we've done the 'official' excursion.

Approximately how many people might be on the tour?

If I did the delostours.com guides, their refund policy isn't the best in case we can't go due to the winds. We thought of doing it on our own, but kept reading that a tour guide is really needed to fully enjoy the ruins. I figured Celebrity would at least refund our money if we can't go for some reason.

Approximately how many people might be on the tour?

If I did the delostours.com guides, their refund policy isn't the best in case we can't go due to the winds. We thought of doing it on our own, but kept reading that a tour guide is really needed to fully enjoy the ruins. I figured Celebrity would at least refund our money if we can't go for some reason.

On our X tour, the boat held a hundred, or so. Once we were at the dock on Delos, we were separated into groups of about 20. We were given radio headsets to hear the guide, but I don't think we needed them.

One caution about trying to do it on your own. When we went, two years ago, the ship docked on (I believe) a Monday, when the Island is normally closed to tours. Had we planned to take the ferry, we would have been out of luck. We took the Celebrity tour, which they had arranged. There were probably 200 or so that were transported on two ferries. So if you plan to do self service, be sure to check that the island and ferry service are available on the day you are in port.

Anyone been on Celebrity's ship excursion to Delos (port of Mykonos)? Any positive or negative comments?? We usually do all excursions on our own or with local companies, have no experience with ship tours.

We did the tour a couple of years ago. At that time we were tendered from the ship to Dellos then on to Mykonos. That may very well have changed. What I can tell you Dellos is beautiful as is Mykonos. You will have a fabulous trip and will build memories that will last you a life time. Enjoy the cruise.:)

We did the ship trip, and like others, enjoyed it thoroughly. The guide was brilliant. She rushed us to the most distant point, warning us not to stop for photos on the way up as there would be time on the way back. We got to the theatre with only 2-3 other tourists. She told wonderful stories, and if we had done it on our own, we might still have had lovely photos to share but we would have had no understanding of what we were seeing. I would do the tour again even though the trip back was a little unnerving. I spent some time calculating which what to do if we capsized. Running over safety procedures in my head. If you are very risk averse, aka a total scaredy-cat, sit on the inside where you won't see the water approaching you on the uppermost deck.

We had a terrific lunch in Mykonos on our return with a true Greek salad and I had an octopus pasta that was just perfect for the day.

And wine of course.

Last time we were there, it was easy to get the ferry right at the port and make a trip over to Delos on your own. It's truly an amazing place and well worth a visit

Amen to that, but it was really a rough ride on the day we did it. People were nsea sick or not able to rise from their seats once we were underway. Was that typical or were we just lucky?