Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

I have used that same $1000 per night figure and been talking only about suites which have the new benefits (CS and above) so maybe that is what Kevin is referring to, also. Everything I see is $1000 and above, double occupancy in the shoulder months. Go in the middle of the summer next year and you are looking at some cruises in the $1300 to $1500 per day range.

Oh ok His quote is "booking a Sky Suite at $1000 per night". I am not doubting him, just interested in which ones he is looking at. Maybe becuase we mainly book shoulder seasons (way too many kids in the summer)

• 2 weeks later...
There seems to be two topics in recent times which get the Celebrity boards debating in significant numbers, social class and children. I do sometimes wonder if these debates on class are as a consequence of Downton Abbey being popular around the world.

Love, love, love Downton Abbey! LOL! :D

Like most of North America' date=' the cruiseship passengers are very middle class, be it Upper middle (Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, large business owners)etc, Middle, middle (Teachers (That is what I was!) small business people, white collar workers, etc or Lower middle (blue collar workers). We have met many pax from each of these categories. That's what makes travelling on a ship interesting. (Can't you tell I studied sociology in University!!)

I have never, on a cruise, met the Upper class (aristocracy in Europe or Kennedy's in US) or the Lower class (Welfare recipients).

But this thread has morphed into a Suite discussion, which I find so amusing. So many in balcony cabins aspire to suites. We, however, remain faithful to our inside cabins and have no desire to spend more for a balcony!

Just FYI, I don't think we fall into the 1% (lol).[/quote']

Don't be so sure! Did you know that the 'qualifying' level in the USA for being in the 1% is an annual income of $394,000? While that's certainly a nice salary that pretty much guarantees a comfortable lifestyle (including a cruise suite) it is nowhere near being a Walton or a Gates.

Edited by coolmom

Don't be so sure! Did you know that the 'qualifying' level in the USA for being in the 1% is an annual income of $394,000? While that's certainly a nice salary that pretty much guarantees a comfortable lifestyle (including a cruise suite) it is nowhere near being a Walton or a Gates.

I did not know that was the beginning income for the one percent! I thought it was much higher.

Income is only a small piece of the pie.

Yes, nearly $400k is a good income but not so much in Long Island as it is in Dubuque Iowa.

Many economists will define the "top 1%" as net worth, and that number is in excess of $14 million.

There no is class distinction. If one thinks there is, it is because they are jealous because someone is getting something they aren't.

The perks are available to everyone. Anyone can get the perks that suite customers get, by cruising in a suite and anyone can get the Elite, Elite+ and Zenith perks, by cruising more.

You are correct. If you are willing to pay you can get almost whatever you wish.

I wonder what the 1% figure is for UK? Didn't think this thread would generate such interest. Interesting to see how we all define 'class'. Is it really income or wealth or is it defined by upbringing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder what the 1% figure is for UK? Didn't think this thread would generate such interest. Interesting to see how we all define 'class'. Is it really income or wealth or is it defined by upbringing?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to the last set of figures from HM Revenue and Customs, it was £147,000 (approx. $236,000) before tax, for the period 2011 to 2012.

........ Interesting to see how we all define 'class'. Is it really income or wealth or is it defined by upbringing?

None of the above, and it really does not matter in the slightest here how any of us would define it.

In the travel industry, as in other businesses, it is defined by the people who name the class and determine what features go with it: First class, business class, aqua class, suite class, concierge class, gold class, platinum class, etc.

For many of the super, super wealthy, such as the Waltons, Gates, etc., as mentioned above, they are not worrying about which size or type of a suite to get on a Celebrity cruise, nor their perks or point levels. They own, in their own name, or lease from other rich folks, their personal private yachts.

No need for them to worry on which level they are at with any of the major cruise lines. Do a Google search on largest private yachts and you can see the list, the sizes of ships, etc. Go to:

http://www.superyachts.com

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com

for more info.

Many of these largest ships are owned by the super rich rulers in the Middle East. Personally, I am happy not to own a large sea craft. Too much maintenance, costs, staffing, fuel, etc., to worry about and fund.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,342 views for this fun posting.

This has been a very interesting thread to read - and very civilized as well - often not the case on these kinds of topics:). I think there are a couple different ways of looking at whether there is a class distinction on Celebrity. (actually more than a couple, but I break it down two ways).

First, the question might mean do people act differently, or treat others differently on Celebrity depending upon what type of room they book. I have found the answer to that to be absolutely not. I have sailed in a variety or rooms - from inside to Sky Suite, and never felt that I was treated differently by other passengers or staff.

The other way of looking at the question is, is the cruise line itself attempting to change the cruise experience based on cabin choice., The answer to that is a resounding yes. For years, one of the joys of cruising a line like Celebrity was that regardless of cabin, you could experience the same food, entertainment, entertainment space, etc.. On Celebrity, this was always a very high quality experience. It felt like a premium line for a mid-level price (which I think is at the root of the changes!). Now, the current emphasis is on creating various perks and experiences for those willing and able to spend the money for them. In many cases, this does not impact other cruisers at all. In some cases, it does cause some impact (to-date mostly minor). I believe that in addition to the obvious (Michael's Club for example), there is a downgrading of quality of food and to a lesser extent service for the masses. Enough to make me change after 25 X cruises? Not yet.

At the same time all of this is happening, prices are rising substantially, highest for suite levels but rising quite a bit for cabins in general in most cases. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. For now, the suites seem to be selling well based on cruises I have looked at. But is this a trend that will continue, or are people just giving it a shot to see what the new 'suite experience' is like. Will the higher cabin prices in general drive people to consider other lines? There sure is a lot of capacity out there, so it will be interesting to see. Ultimately, it is all about the $$ as this is a business. At the risk of being flamed, though, I do miss the good old days of enjoying the premium experience for the mid-level price :D:D

We are booked on 2 cruises and suites on both, as well as the other cruises before & after ours, are fully booked. On some the highest available cabin is a C3. Celebrity must be doing something right. Either suites on theses cruises are very popular in their own right, or the new perks are drawing passengers to book higher cabins, regardless of the price.

Mary Lou

We are booked on 2 cruises and suites on both, as well as the other cruises before & after ours, are fully booked. On some the highest available cabin is a C3. Celebrity must be doing something right. Either suites on theses cruises are very popular in their own right, or the new perks are drawing passengers to book higher cabins, regardless of the price.

Mary Lou

Absolutely the suite strategy has worked. We however, go back and forth. AQ benefits have been reduced.

Thank you Phoenix Dream for putting into words so much more eloquently than I did earlier in this thread. I use to cruise about four times a year, but it has been ten years now since my last cruise. Sounds like a lot has changed since then.I have booked a TA for next fall on Celebrity and will see how it goes.

Edited by ledbetn

I booked our second only cruise, the first being with NCL in 1989, with Celebrity and their AQ cabins for two reasons. First, while we have 21 and 18 year old daughters, I had no desire to book a cruise that spent a great amount of effort catering to a teen-20s demographic (also families). Second, among the benefits of AQ that were attractive to us we also wanted to limit the number of crying kids or drunken idiots.

I read where more budget minded lines provide a very similar experience for all passengers, I did not want that. What did I want? I wanted the ability to reduce the percentage of passengers drunken screaming, three year olds throwing tantrums and folks vomiting off the rail. Will I potentially see that during my March cruise, maybe some and no big deal.

I appreciate being able to pay more in order to reduce the chances.

This has been a very interesting thread to read - and very civilized as well - often not the case on these kinds of topics:). At the risk of being flamed, though, I do miss the good old days of enjoying the premium experience for the mid-level price

Gracie115: what I read today said top 1% begins at just over $521' date='000[/b'].......

Appreciate, as well noted by phoenix_dream, the tone, substance and details on this honest and interesting DISCUSSION thread. Excellent comments, thoughts and insights.

For Gracie115, the exact level of income is not always a true and accurate indicator. There are, in many cases, people with larger "gross" incomes . . . versus . . . those with good net, after tax income levels. Then, there are others who do not have that large, large of an income, BUT, have lots of "assets" that allow them to live larger, travel lots, etc.

There was a very successful attorney (now deceased) in our town with huge wealth from real estate involvements who never, never in his life bought a new car. Always bought used cars. Most used Mercedes-Benz, fairly basic, not too fancy. He could afford to buy luxury, new cars, but didn't. His real estate partner, by contrast, had a huge collection of Rolls Royce vintage cars that he later sold for about $20+ million to benefit local charities. Lots of different lifestyles and ways people operate with their money.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 185,592 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It depends what you mean by class! Lol

Cabin categories have classes and different resturants.

The upper class in the US usually means wealth, not manners, not grace.

Classy people can be in any category of cabin! And you may have class in upper suites or you maybe classless.

For th most part, socially there is no class distinction. Cabin benefits wise, there is distinction and about to increase by April.

Why should there be class distinction? IT IS A MASS MARKET LINE!!!!

There will be always people who can afford a bit more then others, does it makes them a better class, NO!

The rest of the people who say so, are really just unhappy and jealous people of the others who can afford a bit of more.

If you want to cruise with class, sail on MS Europa 1 or MS Europa 2, where 1 night costs more then what some people pay here for the whole family and cruise. Friendly open people there!!!

I love this thread. We do one big trip a year, and do the RS thing now for the trip to Bermuda on the Summit.

Not a 1% as they are called. In fact, I hate formal nights, enjoy wearing old concert t shirts, drinking beer, and sitting in the sun. But hey, it's my vacation. If people don't like it too bad.

I booked our second only cruise, the first being with NCL in 1989, with Celebrity and their AQ cabins for two reasons. First, while we have 21 and 18 year old daughters, I had no desire to book a cruise that spent a great amount of effort catering to a teen-20s demographic (also families). Second, among the benefits of AQ that were attractive to us we also wanted to limit the number of crying kids or drunken idiots.

I read where more budget minded lines provide a very similar experience for all passengers, I did not want that. What did I want? I wanted the ability to reduce the percentage of passengers drunken screaming, three year olds throwing tantrums and folks vomiting off the rail. Will I potentially see that during my March cruise, maybe some and no big deal.

I appreciate being able to pay more in order to reduce the chances.

Sorry to disappoint your somewhat slanted attitude. We do two Celebrity cruises per year since year 2000. Perhaps were have seen one screaming rugrat and three quiet drunks for the combined cruises. Maybe you should avoid professional football games and have a happier attitude towards Celebrity Cruises.

Class is treating everyone you meet with respect and kindness, and showing interest in their personal uniqueness. You miss a lot by trying to figure out who is the "right person to know."

It is not the house you live in or the car you drive - lots of people with real money have that money because they don't spend it frivolously.

It is not your job - there are many worthwhile professions that pay very little money.

And it is certainly not the cabin you sleep in on a ship - some people actually prefer sleeping in an inside cabin for the darkness. Or they need a balcony because they are claustrophobic.

Having a lot of money does not determine "class." Many of us are old enough to have figured that out a long time ago;)