Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

Us too and we both have one other problem...snoring husbands so it's nice if I have to move just a little farther away. With the increases I'm seeing in prices, I don't know how many more suites I'll be booking since we probably wouldn't use many of the other benefits. I guess it's time for the earplugs. LOL

or possibly two smaller cabins as solos, perhaps just plain old verandas, which MAY well wind up costing less than a suite in the future....(snoring husband here too...lol)

This remark was made well before the announced price. At this point Zenith level passengers will not be permitted to dine in the new Suite Restaurant and I don't think it will change. It will be a small venue and they need to see how it is used. IMHO they need to keep it as exclusive as possible or else it will lose it's appeal to many. New concept and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Don't think that will be tough to do at $50 for a guest I don't think they will have many takers.....unless of course it winds up being sensational....we will see, glad I will have at least one opportunity to try it, cause most likely its back to AQ after that for us!!!

Unreal.

Who actually notices this stuff??? :D I am happy to get more if I pay more or book a certain service. Pretty much every business has a loyalty program.

I like a balcony for the fresh air and sense of space. Wouldn't knock a suite back if offered, but not sure the perks & additional room would mean I would pay for it. I couldn't stand the thought of being stuck with my hubs as my only dinner companion :( for a 16 day+ cruise! We both need the table mates to share the load of the other's annoyingness!!!! :D so blu would not work for us!

At $100 a couple . . . or maybe HIGHER . . . then the dining experience had better be very, very special. Look forward to hearing more details and reports of those visiting there in the future. Some will spend more, just because it is the most costly. Most, including us, will not.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these recent updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 24,794 views for this posting.

WE paid $80/person on Allure of the Seas for the Chef's Table and it was worth that price for the one night experience. We had wine paired with each course and the wine flowed and was not restricted. The chef came out at each course to describe what the course would be and then to make sure it was good. We had 12 people at our seating (max was 15) Food/other table mates were excellent. Thus, for us it was a meal and entertainment for the price we paid.

Chef's Table on Celebrity is different from my understanding, costs more too. We have not tried it, nor would we based on the description we have been told.

I, personally, am surprised to read on CC that the cost may be only $50/person as that might kill the "regular" speciality restaurants other than there will be very limited seating.

I am sure if afforded an opportunity, we would tried it once. It is a value proposition and we have tried many higher end restaurants that ended up costing well over $50/person without any drink costs.

WE paid $80/person on Allure of the Seas for the Chef's Table and it was worth that price for the one night experience. We had wine paired with each course and the wine flowed and was not restricted. The chef came out at each course to describe what the course would be and then to make sure it was good. We had 12 people at our seating (max was 15) Food/other table mates were excellent. Thus, for us it was a meal and entertainment for the price we paid.

Appreciate this above excellent summary by our Atlanta poster. If it is really "worth it", we would do that and pay that amount. People, including us, like "outstanding experiences" that are really good and well done.

As I noted earlier "the dining experience had better be very, very special." That is the question to be determined. Look forward to hearing the results for these Celebrity efforts.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 184,284 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Remember the Suite restaurant will be a relatively small venue, smaller than Blu. With the number of Suites, even if people in the top Suites dine exclusively in Specialty restaurants, the number of seats will not leave much, if any space, for non Suite passengers. I suspect entry will be strictly controlled. I've been predicting that if Quantum is successful the MDR will become a thing from the past and there will be more dedicated, additional pay restaurants. Some, like the Suite Restaurant and Blu will be reserved for specific cabin categories. Calls of Class Distinctions will grow louder from some who cannot or will not pay more. "Bravo" will be heard from those who can and will pay mare. Celebrity Executives and stockholders will smile at the improved margins. If it doesn't work as planned many of the Miami Suits will be applying the CTRIP for employment :). My crystal ball is getting cloudy, so I'll stop.

Remember the Suite restaurant will be a relatively small venue, smaller than Blu. With the number of Suites, even if people in the top Suites dine exclusively in Specialty restaurants, the number of seats will not leave much, if any space, for non Suite passengers. I suspect entry will be strictly controlled. I've been predicting that if Quantum is successful the MDR will become a thing from the past and there will be more dedicated, additional pay restaurants. Some, like the Suite Restaurant and Blu will be reserved for specific cabin categories. Calls of Class Distinctions will grow louder from some who cannot or will not pay more. "Bravo" will be heard from those who can and will pay mare. Celebrity Executives and stockholders will smile at the improved margins. If it doesn't work as planned many of the Miami Suits will be applying the CTRIP for employment :). My crystal ball is getting cloudy, so I'll stop.

I agree,

It's mostly fantasy to think we may get Into suite resturant without staying in a suite. The fee for extra persons is basically the same as specialty resturants, so it is not that restrictive. They are likely going to need other controls other than "friend of suite guest." Unless the food is not much better, then it won't matter.

We are more the Blu type dining fans where we can make friends in the resturants but without fixed times. I do know quite a few folks who like the table mate for cruise plan that is traditional. A nod to traditional dining needs to stay somewhere.

Chef's Table on Celebrity is different from my understanding, costs more too. We have not tried it, nor would we based on the description we have been told.

I, personally, am surprised to read on CC that the cost may be only $50/person as that might kill the "regular" speciality restaurants other than there will be very limited seating.

I am sure if afforded an opportunity, we would tried it once. It is a value proposition and we have tried many higher end restaurants that ended up costing well over $50/person without any drink costs.

I did the " Chefs Table " once on the Millennium. The problem was that the menu was Murano's food. The head chef and the food and bev manager ate with us for part of the meal. They explained that they don't have the ability to create new dishes. The menus are designed in Miami. Anyone that's done the galley tour has seen the 14 day wall of pictures.

This is where the Suite restaurant could become interesting if it's truly a game changer. It would require a dedicated kitchen with a real chef,sous chefs etc vs a food factory assembly line as it currently exists on Celebrity.

Will the menus be designed by the kitchen chef, or in Miami ? Or a combination of the two? Will there be set , fixed menus like Blu , or improvisation and creativity? Fresh fish and other ingredients, or stuff from the walk in freezer? The smaller luxury lines offer this real type of restaurant service, Celebrity would have to completely change it's approach to effectively compete at that level.

I for one hope that they can and do really make the institutional changes to their ingredient acquisition and food preparation that would make the new Suite restaurant a REAL restaurant, and would justify the increase in suite prices that we've seen for 2015 ...

Just reading another review comparing Cunard with Celebrity. The poster said there was no distinction on Cunard 'unlike Celebrity'. I admit I have only done one previous cruise with Celebrity, with another booked for next year, but I never noticed any class distinction on our trip. Who's right? Just interested!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed many times with Celebrity and are doing so again for the Nov. 5th crossing from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. We have never noticed or experienced class distinction per se. Certain levels have more perks than others but I don't consider that class distinction. As you move from Classic, to Select and on to Elite the perks change. The more you sail on Celebrity the better the perks get. I think it is Celebrity's way of rewarding their loyal customers just as the airlines do. Enjoy your cruise!

That's good to hear because sometimes reading these threads, we newbies can have the impression that loyalists feel they are being pushed out.

I don't think "pushed out" is the correct term. It'll be more like "priced-out".

We're in the process of mulling over our options. Stay with Celebrity in our preferred cabins, or move on to another cruiseline?

We have a B2B in two weeks, and we'll see if Celebrity still fulfills our expected standards.

I don't think "pushed out" is the correct term. It'll be more like "priced-out".

We're in the process of mulling over our options. Stay with Celebrity in our preferred cabins, or move on to another cruiseline?

We have a B2B in two weeks, and we'll see if Celebrity still fulfills our expected standards.

That's a very good point, and an important distinction.

The people that prefer the larger space that a sky suite affords are the ones most effected. The prices for suites have effectively doubled since 2013, using the new 2015 pricing.

The question is, for that price , why not sail on more premium lines? Especially given that all three smaller ones now sail new ships?

Like Karyanne, we are embarking on a Celebrity B2B in less than a month. The price for our suite, booked months ago is 60% of what a European 2015 suite price would now cost.

Keeps it fun and interesting, like this thread!

But knowing X's desire to add to the bottom line unless it's a large crowd of non suite guests accompanying a suite guest they will most likely find a way to bring those guests in for the obligatory $50......per person....

They first would have to accommodate all the suite guests. I don't imagine that the new restaurant will be large enough to sit many more others, maybe a dozen?

It's open for lunch too, will it also be open to others for $50 at lunch and breakfast?

If anyone could eat there like any other specialty restaurant for $50 it wouldn't have the type of exclusivity that they are hoping to achieve.

I'm waiting to see if they really differentiate it in terms of the food preparation methodology. Otherwise it's just another food factory chain type restaurant with dishes prepared off of picture menus posted on the kitchen wall ala the MDR and Blu.

Maybe they can name it Yello

I am wondering (I seem to do that alot) where those custom cooking gourmet chefs will be preparing the meals for the suite restaurant on the M-class ships....there isn't that much space for another kitchen. Will Celebrity move to TV dinners for the MDR? Will the Blu dinners become re-plated MDR dishes? Inquiring minds want to know, but I guess we all have to wait to see how this all plays out.

Edited by ghstudio

They first would have to accommodate all the suite guests. I don't imagine that the new restaurant will be large enough to sit many more others, maybe a dozen?

It's open for lunch too, will it also be open to others for $50 at lunch and breakfast?

If anyone could eat there like any other specialty restaurant for $50 it wouldn't have the type of exclusivity that they are hoping to achieve.

I'm waiting to see if they really differentiate it in terms of the food preparation methodology. Otherwise it's just another food factory chain type restaurant with dishes prepared off of picture menus posted on the kitchen wall ala the MDR and Blu.

Maybe they can name it Yello

Yello....LOL!!:D

There is a charge for Breakfast & Lunch, I believe breakfast is $20 and lunch $35, but not sure about that. It will be small, yes, but since it is for all suite guests, including Sky suites it can't be all that small, what with 60 suites on an "S" class ship.....would imagine it would be big enough to handle half the suites anyway at any given time. We are lucky enough to be in a suite on our TA next year so we'll get an opportunity to try it....we'll see if it's REALLY a step above all other X venues...a BIG step!!! Otherwise "Yello" it is!!!:)

But knowing X's desire to add to the bottom line unless it's a large crowd of non suite guests accompanying a suite guest they will most likely find a way to bring those guests in for the obligatory $50......per person....

IMO they spoilt Blu by allowing suite pax in, initially a $5 charge, which it appears was seldom charged. The addition of Aqua suites on Reflection was probally the final straw, I have read many comments on this forum that the overcrowding has spoilt the atmosphere in Blu on Reflection, I hope they don't do the same to the suite restaurants.

IMO they spoilt Blu by allowing suite pax in, initially a $5 charge, which it appears was seldom charged. The addition of Aqua suites on Reflection was probally the final straw, I have read many comments on this forum that the overcrowding has spoilt the atmosphere in Blu on Reflection, I hope they don't do the same to the suite restaurants.

The $5.00 was pretty faithfully charged for the first few years....not so much since 2012 or so....

Am sure they won't do the same for the Suite restaurants and I believe you will find Blu much more like it was when it first came on board once the suite guests have their own venue. I love Blu....it is SO MUCH better than the MDR and obviously the suite guests came to realize that over the years which is why it has just gotten busier and busier....the new Suite dining room should bring things more back to normal for Blu and AQ guests.

I have been a realists lately in my thinking, however I hold out hope for this.

Once they move resources on board for a suite dining room, I hope they also service and menu lift Blu and the existing specialty restaurants. Hey, lets get what we pay for for those restaurants. Then some suite passengers will eat their too and there will be room for Zeniths in Suite class restaurant.

FYI I was charged over half the time to eat in Blu. I wish they had called it a charge, calling it a tip bugged me since we were prepaid.

I am wondering (I seem to do that alot) where those custom cooking gourmet chefs will be preparing the meals for the suite restaurant on the M-class ships....there isn't that much space for another kitchen. Will Celebrity move to TV dinners for the MDR? Will the Blu dinners become re-plated MDR dishes? Inquiring minds want to know, but I guess we all have to wait to see how this all plays out.

You are right. They could make Tv dinners for MDR to make for room for the "classier" restaurants. lol ;)