Trying to pack lighter - any tips?

txjudy54

We leave Saturday out of Miami on the Glory but flying from Dallas. Since we have to pay for luggage I am trying to pack a little lighter. I am not taking shampoo but bringing conditioner, packing 1 dress to use on both elegant night, not so many shoes, 2 bathing suites. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. TIA

Have you tried the storage bags for packing? I actually purchased some...it's the storage bags where you put clothes into and then you use a vacuum cleaner to take out the air. Well for the storage bags for packing instead of using a vacuum cleaner, you just put the clothes into the bags, then zip the bag close, and then roll the air out of the bags. This will allow you to have more room in your suitcase. I'm planning on taking only one large suitcase and one carry on for a 7-day cruise. Tired of taking several bags all over the place. Good luck! These can be purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond.

During our cruise history I've whittled down what we bring along and still don't wear all the clothes we pack. If I've thought I needed tennis shoes then I wear them to the port because they take up so much room in the suitcase. I quit bringing those a couple cruises ago because I never needed them. No one will remember what you've already worn, bring items that mix and match. I've also discovered that the earlier I pack the more cr@p I put in our suitcases so now I leave it until the last day. We'll see how well I do for our Freedom cruise next week! ;)

Edited by YB Nrml

You will be able to rewear shorts....generally have them on for breakfast, then it's into a swim suit! I'll wear shorts several times...no one cares or notices!

Do be careful of the "space saver" bags....you can go over the weight limit pretty fast!

I've gotten it down to 3 pair of shorts (black, navy and khaki). I bring shirts that can mix and match. For dinners, I bring 2 pair of capris again with at least 2 tops to go with each pair. I try to only bring shoes that go with at least 2 outfits.

Like another poster said, you probably aren't in clothes for long periods of time. Evaluate what excursions you will be doing to decide what clothes you will really need and how dirty/sweaty you may get to figure out what you really need.

We leave Saturday out of Miami on the Glory but flying from Dallas. Since we have to pay for luggage I am trying to pack a little lighter. I am not taking shampoo but bringing conditioner, packing 1 dress to use on both elegant night, not so many shoes, 2 bathing suites. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. TIA

I generally work with one carry-on sized suitcase (though I don't carry it on).

- Take advantage of the self service laundry on board. Will cost you a few bucks, but you can pack 3 days worth of clothing for the first half of the trip, wash clothes mid way through, and then wear them again but mix-and-match shirts & pants so you aren't wearing the same outfits. Unless of course you're Platinum/Diamond in which case just make somebody else do it.

- Don't bring laptops or large cameras. Bring a camera you can fit in your pocket and extra storage cards if you feel you'll need it.

- Avoid the other threads about all the neat little gizmos you can bring to enhance your cruise. Yes, including the over the door shoerack. Just forget about all that stuff. Everytime I browse through one of those threads I find dozens of absolutely bizarre suggestions. You're not moving in, people. It's seven freakin' days.

- Planning on buying a souvenir t-shirt while you're in port? Then pack one less shirt.

- As you mentioned, wear the same outfit for both elegant nights.

- I think you ladies have it easier in this regard, but pack thin clothing. My biggest problem when packing is that I typically wear jeans and khaki cargo shorts, and both of those items are kinda bulky.

- Finally, pack like this:

Here is a great you tube video.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Packing+Light+for+Women&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=4C9FA806A1632F496ABF4C9FA806A1632F496ABF

I have learned to layer and it really does allow for good use of space. We did a 8 day Alaska cruise with three days pre cruise and two days post cruise so a total of 13days clothes. I got all my clothing into one suitcase under the 50# wt limit. This included several pairs of jeans, long sleeve shirts and sweaters as well as long dresses for evenings. I was able to do the same for DH. One each checked bag and we each did a back pack with meds and travel documents. I should also mention we are both "fluffy" so it wasn't like I was packing size 2 jeans.

As mentioned above you could do a load of laundry to further reduce what you need.

Shoes seem to use up a great deal of space. Minimize the # of pairs and be sure to pack stuff inside the shoes as well.

On my first cruise someone told me: half the clothes and twice the money.

Fashion and Beauty board has many great threads about packing light.

Also look at onebag.com and ladylighttravel.com

It's a mindset. You have to accept that you will be doing laundry at some point.

-For longer trips pack for a week and repeat.

-Mix and match. Neutral bottoms and tops that go with them. 4 tops and 2 bottoms is 8 outfits. Add a sweater and your up to 12.

-Reduce the size of you lotions and potions. Buy travel size or recant into smaller bottles. I repurpose contact lens cases and eye drop bottles. Also buy smaller bottles at REI. Test ahead of time how many uses you get. I get 42 uses of Argan oil from a 10ml eye drop bottle, 10 uses of gel from one side of a contact lens case. Known for 35 years that travel toothpaste is 14 uses.

-Share things when appropriate.

- figure out your electronics. Why bring all the large chargers when a USB wall wart and the right cords will do.

If in planning ahead for a future Caribbean cruise, try buying tees, tops, briefs and shorts of lightweight materials. Takes up 1/3 to 1/4 of the space of cotton or nylon clothing, and if you don't have the platinum perk of free laundry, you can easily rinse out in the sink or shower and re wear when dry.

If you're going to Alaska, then forget what I said.

If in planning ahead for a future Caribbean cruise, try buying tees, tops, briefs and shorts of lightweight materials. Takes up 1/3 to 1/4 of the space of cotton or nylon clothing, and if you don't have the platinum perk of free laundry, you can easily rinse out in the sink or shower and re wear when dry.

If you're going to Alaska, then forget what I said.

Found it easier to pack for Alaska. Knew I'd be layering and rewearing. Don't get as stinky/sweaty in the colder weather.

Oh, remember to pack Febreeze ;)

We'll be on that cruise with you! Also from Texas, but leaving today because we fly STBY. It's gonna be a great trip! Can't help with packing light though, 1 checked bag and 1 carry on each . :mad:

Beware the vacuum bags. Yes, you can cram more stuff in your suitcase, but it still weighs the same -- awfully easy to go over the 50# airline weight limit. And they make your clothes very wrinkled, too.

I mix and match everything:

-I take one pair of nice black slacks or capris for the non-elegant dinners and wear a different top each night.

- For day/port wear I pack 2 pairs of shorts or capris, and several tops that match either.

- I wear the same dressy outfit for both elegant nights.

I save up my old undies throughout the year and take those with me. Then, as I wear them, I throw them away. Saves more room than you would think on the return trip home.

I force myself to limit shoes -- shoes are a real space and weight killer!:o

Beware the vacuum bags. Yes, you can cram more stuff in your suitcase, but it still weighs the same -- awfully easy to go over the 50# airline weight limit. And they make your clothes very wrinkled, too.

I mix and match everything:

-I take one pair of nice black slacks or capris for the non-elegant dinners and wear a different top each night.

- For day/port wear I pack 2 pairs of shorts or capris, and several tops that match either.

- I wear the same dressy outfit for both elegant nights.

I save up my old undies throughout the year and take those with me. Then, as I wear them, I throw them away. Saves more room than you would think on the return trip home.

I force myself to limit shoes -- shoes are a real space and weight killer!:o

I just LOL'd when you said you save your old undies. Thanks for the laugh today

Roll your clothes...you'd be surprised at how much space it saves.

I wear the same pants for both formal nights...just a different shirt

Only take one swimsuit

I'm not the best at packing light...haha

Yes! Rolling (carefully) is the way to go. I roll all the bottoms together and all the tops together. The rolls are not big, if done right - and you don't over pack.

Also, I do find that the humidity relaxes the wrinkles once everything is hung up. Easy, peasey!

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

I am going to use bundle packing (which I first saw posted on CC). There are a couple of great videos on you tube. I already have the clothes bundled and ready to go. I cannot believe how small my clothes bundles are. I seriously think I could have gotten all of my clothes into a carryon. We will bring 2 large suitcases and I cross pack because we are flying. I have so much extra room in the suitcases. We use to need 3 suitcases. It looks like we will have fewer wrinkles, too. That is the hope anyway. Sailing on Saturday! :D

We are also the type that take one carry-on and one backpack per person. I pack shoes for my husband for formal night, and in the shoes I put his dressier belt, and dress socks. Also other socks can fit. I take one dress for formal night.

Capris don't take much space, nor do shorts. A few different shorts that I can mix and match. I wear my tennis shoes on the day we board.

We do go to the gym, and take 2 swim suits each. I do laundry one time, those gym clothes and swim suits get stinky and dirty. Also, I shop for things that won't wrinkle easily, and I take a travel size of Downy wrinkle release just in case.

I roll the clothes tightly and unpack them as soon as they arrive to my cabin. It's worked out every time.

My first cruise was the only time I've over packed.

We did an 8 night on Splendor in July. I packed everything for both of us in one med (21in?) rolling suitcase, plus a carry on for toiletries. I had a different dress for each night, plus 3 bathing suits (only wore 2) and plenty of shorts and tees. DH did not bring a suit, but did have 2 pairs of long pants, plus shorts and polo shirts. I'm a really good packer and roll everything and stuff shoes, etc with small items.

One other thing about the vacuum bags no one thinks of -- coming home -- it's pretty hard to find a vacuum to repack!

Have fun!!