Back from Cruise Carnival Vacation Protection Claim

csthomas1981

Hey guys I'm back from an awesome 7 day on the Breeze and I have a huge problem. During my cruise I was sitting on the lido deck using my laptop when a child ran by and bumped into my computer causing it to take a huge fall to the ground which cracked the screen and damaged the bezel and causing it to overheat so I'm sure the internals are screwed up. I was wondering if vacation protection would fix this? I called carnival and was advised to do a claim with their Vacation Protection company (since i purchased it through them). However I called and made the claim and submitted my receipt and they have yet to get back in touch with me. Is this sort of thing covered or is this something I'm going to have to take as a $1700 loss?

Any insight would be appreciated

Hey guys I'm back from an awesome 7 day on the Breeze and I have a huge problem. During my cruise I was sitting on the lido deck using my laptop when a child ran by and bumped into my computer causing it to take a huge fall to the ground which cracked the screen and damaged the bezel and causing it to overheat so I'm sure the internals are screwed up. I was wondering if vacation protection would fix this? I called carnival and was advised to do a claim with their Vacation Protection company (since i purchased it through them). However I called and made the claim and submitted my receipt and they have yet to get back in touch with me. Is this sort of thing covered or is this something I'm going to have to take as a $1700 loss?

Checkout Part C "Baggage and Personal Possessions" of the VPP Policy http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-pdf.ashx - note that in the definitions that Baggage means luggage, personal possessions and travel documents taken by you on the Covered Cruise

Vacation!

You might have a shot at this, Note that the Carnival coverage is secondary to any other such coverage, including your Home Owners Policy.

Keep us posted on your results?

Ken

Edited by Ken076

The way i read it, you should be covered up to $1500 for loss, theft or damage. Here's the link, as well as the blurb:

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-pdf.ashx

Part C. Baggage Protection

Baggage and Personal Effects Benefits

We will reimburse you, less any amount paid or payable from any other valid and collectable insurance or

indemnity, up to the amount shown in the Schedule, for direct loss, theft, damage, or destruction of your

Baggage during your Covered Cruise Vacation.

Valuation and Payment of Loss

Payment of loss under the Baggage and Personal Effects Benefit will be calculated based upon an Actual

Cash Value basis. For items without receipts, payment of loss will be calculated based upon 80% of the

Actual Cash Value at the time of loss. At our option, we may elect to repair or replace your Baggage. We will

notify you within 30 days after we receive your proof of loss. We may take all or part of a damaged Baggage

as a condition for payment of loss. In the event of a loss to a pair or set of items, we will: 1) repair or replace

any part to restore the pair or set to its value before the loss; or 2) pay the difference between the value of the

property before and after the loss.

Just curious why you think a cracked screen and damaged bezel caused it overheated?

He said he believed the fall caused a broken screen and overheating, not that the broken screen itself caused the overheat.

Carnival's vacation protection should cover this. It has no exclusion for electronics. They may require you to submit a claim to your homeowners/renters insurance and only cover whatever is left.

Edited by Davey Wavey

It doesn't say anything about determining responsibility in the page that was quoted. The OP paid for the insurance and is asking if he/she is covered.

This board is weird sometimes. The universal cry around here is;

BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!!!

So When the OP asks a simple question of what's covered on the travel insurance that he bought the universal (almost) cry is;

DON"T CLAIM ON YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!

I swear, lots of people on this board must work for insurance companies.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I believe your homeowners/rental insurance (whatever you may have) would be primary, and whatever isn't covered there would go then upon Carnival's insurance policy that you purchased. If you do not have home owners or renters insurance for your dwelling, you would most likely have to document that with Carnival insurance and then the adjusters would go to work.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

So When the OP asks a simple question of what's covered on the travel insurance that he bought the universal (almost) cry is;

DON"T CLAIM ON YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!

I swear, lots of people on this board must work for insurance companies.;)

Aside for the "go after the parent" comments, I didn't see anyone say don't claim on your travel insurance. I do see in the insurance contract that the travel insurance will only pay, "less any amount paid or payable from any other valid and collectable insurance or indemnity," meaning travel insurance will only pay AFTER other eligible insurance or proof that the item isn't covered by insurance or warranty. So, he will likely have to file a claim with his homeowners insurance, even if they deny it, and provide the EOB to the travel insurance. And, yes, I have worked for quite a few insurance companies.

Edited by Davey Wavey

I distinctly remember my PVP telling me that my personal electronics are covered. Although I'm not sure if that would be over damage from suitcase delivery or transport issues caused by a Carnival employee etc.

I'm sure it wouldn't cover me dropping my phone in the pool. :cool:

You may have luck with it. Did you happen to report it while on board to anyone. That may help your case also if there was an indecent report or something documented. If that is even possible. Good Luck

Just wanted to add that basically ALL insurance policies say they will pay after any other valid policies. That's not really a true indication that homeowner's insurance is primary because the homeowners policy will also say they pay after any other valid policies.

There's a method to figuring out which policy is actually primary which I don't know all the ins and outs of but one of the determining factors is the cost of the policy. If that's the sole factor, I would guess the travel insurance would be primary.

Either way, good luck with the claim and let us know how it goes. I'm curious if they'll only cover the computer if it was a carnival worker that damaged it say while delievering luggage or something.

So I submitted a claim.. just waiting on someone to call me back from their company.. they asked if I filed an incident report on ship. Honestly I didn't see a point as there was no way it would have helped me recoup my laptop or anything. So I'm waiting to hear back from them. I hope they don't decide to make this a difficult process in which they try to find a reason to deny a claim. I just want my laptop fixed or replaced. God knows Apple computers aren't cheap in the slightest bit

So I submitted a claim.. just waiting on someone to call me back from their company.. they asked if I filed an incident report on ship. Honestly I didn't see a point as there was no way it would have helped me recoup my laptop or anything. So I'm waiting to hear back from them. I hope they don't decide to make this a difficult process in which they try to find a reason to deny a claim. I just want my laptop fixed or replaced. God knows Apple computers aren't cheap in the slightest bit

I would have filed a report on the ship. its like with the airlines, they want you to file a claim at the airport if your bag is damaged or something missing, otherwise, they turn around and say/think, you did this at home. I hope you can get it fixed, apple products aren't cheap. I was just on the conquest and dropped my camera on deck, thankfully its fine

Just wanted to add that basically ALL insurance policies say they will pay after any other valid policies. That's not really a true indication that homeowner's insurance is primary because the homeowners policy will also say they pay after any other valid policies.

There's a method to figuring out which policy is actually primary which I don't know all the ins and outs of but one of the determining factors is the cost of the policy. If that's the sole factor, I would guess the travel insurance would be primary.

Either way, good luck with the claim and let us know how it goes. I'm curious if they'll only cover the computer if it was a carnival worker that damaged it say while delievering luggage or something.

Not true with Travel Insurance Policies....this is a case of "buyer beware". We only purchase travel policies that are PRIMARY insurers, NOT SECONDARY. If "primary" insurer, it pays FIRST, not after homeowners....that is what "secondry" coverage does. One needs to research the policy they are buying to determine if the policy insurance company is PRIMARY or SECONDARY.

Either way, OP may have coverage, it's just in the amount of the paper trail and hoops to jump through that one must submit to multiple companies if the policy is secondary.

The way i read it, you should be covered up to $1500 for loss, theft or damage. Here's the link, as well as the blurb:

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-pdf.ashx

Part C. Baggage Protection

Baggage and Personal Effects Benefits

We will reimburse you, less any amount paid or payable from any other valid and collectable insurance or

indemnity, up to the amount shown in the Schedule, for direct loss, theft, damage, or destruction of your

Baggage during your Covered Cruise Vacation.

Valuation and Payment of Loss

Payment of loss under the Baggage and Personal Effects Benefit will be calculated based upon an Actual

Cash Value basis. For items without receipts, payment of loss will be calculated based upon 80% of the

Actual Cash Value at the time of loss. At our option, we may elect to repair or replace your Baggage. We will

notify you within 30 days after we receive your proof of loss. We may take all or part of a damaged Baggage

as a condition for payment of loss. In the event of a loss to a pair or set of items, we will: 1) repair or replace

any part to restore the pair or set to its value before the loss; or 2) pay the difference between the value of the

property before and after the loss.

I hope that you are able to get a refund, but I think that the insurance company will say that a computer is electronics and not baggage or personal effects. If you paid for it by AMEX they do also have a warranty. Good luck.

Yeah, but here's how they define "Baggage" -

Baggage means luggage, personal possessions and travel documents taken by you on the Covered Cruise Vacation.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Also it looks like all the primary/secondary stuff is in reference to medical claims. However, I'm sure not an insurance guru.

Edited by travler27

• 2 weeks later...

so i submitted the paperwork to Aon Berkley (the administrator for the plan)...I also submitted the receipts I was able to re-obtain from Apple and Walmart just waiting to hear back from them they said it can take up to 6 weeks. Fingers crossed

so i submitted the paperwork to Aon Berkley (the administrator for the plan)...I also submitted the receipts I was able to re-obtain from Apple and Walmart just waiting to hear back from them they said it can take up to 6 weeks. Fingers crossed

Here's my concern. You didn't fill out any accident report or made Carnival at the time aware of what happened so what would stop everyone from making a claim like yours? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just trying to play devils advocate here. I think this serves as a great teachable moment for everyone here. Make sure you let the powers that be know when something like that happens so in the future you have more of a leg to stand on.

Edited by Rh2458

Here's my concern. You didn't fill out any accident report or made Carnival at the time aware of what happened so what would stop everyone from making a claim like yours? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just trying to play devils advocate here. I think this serves as a great teachable moment for everyone here. Make sure you let the powers that be know when something like that happens so in the future you have more of a leg to stand on.

Actually I attempted to make a report to carnival on the ship and was told by both guest services and security there is no report that can be done because there was no theft or loss of property. They said take a photo of my laptop which I did... BERKLEY has been fairly friendly regarding the situation and have basically stated that they will pay for repair or replacement once they tske the receipt for repair and compare it to the receipt of purchase and decide which is more feasible.

• 3 weeks later...

So finally after waiting almost 3 weeks for the claim to process I have received an email from Berkley saying that my claim was approved and I should receive a check in the mail within 10 business days for 1500 bucks. Still not the exact price of my laptop but definitely worth it. I'm extremely glad I purchased the vacation protection and from now on i will definitely do so.

This is really good to know! I really usually purchase trip insurance for medical reasons. Had no idea electronics were covered. Will now look at my policies! My ipod mini was "lost" on my last cruise on Conquest. I went to GS and reported I had lost it, and they wrote up a report. It was actually turned in at Guest Services later that day by a good soul, but it had been found in a puddle on Lido - it had been pouring, and I must have dropped it while running to shelter. It never turned on again, as it had been soaked. Had I known, I may have put in a claim - even though it was only $150.:)

Edited by pe4all

This is what I love about CC. I always learn something new based on others experiences. I always say no to the travel insurance. Luckily I haven't had the need to cry about issues. I now will stop being cheap knowing I take my I pad and electronics with me.

You guys are right.. Apple products aren't cheap. I do think I would have gotten the parents information to see what they could do to help me out with the cost that the insurance wouldn't cover. Just My Opinion!