Need to carry Passports??

Lizard755

In most countries, you are NOT required to carry your passport. The cruise line will make sure you are aware if you are stopping in a country that requires carrying your passport. Russia is one that comes to mind.

The Bahamas does not require it.

No..NONE of the Caribbean countries require passports from cruise passengers. Some ports might require a photo ID to get into the dock area, and your DL will be just fine....it's the same size as your ship's key, and plastic, so water won't hurt either!

Nope unless someone gets sick and the ship medic enter can't give you the care you need and you need to fly out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

This was not a passport or not to passport question. The OP asked if they would need to carry their passport with them when they went ashore.

There are very few countries that require to see your passport when gong ashore. Normally your cruise card and photo ID like a DL is all you require. You really are best to leave your passport in the safe in your cabin...the last thing you need is to have it stolen ashore. Some people feel more comfortable carrying a photo copy of their passport ashore...it really is worthless....but the choice is yours.

Some cruise lines require you to surrender your passport to the purser at embarkation. Unless you stop at a port requiring that you carry a passport ashore (in which case it will be released to you during the port visit), you will usually not see your passport again until you finish the cruise.

IMO, this is the best way to keep your passport secure but readily available for examination as needed by any port authority demanding to see it on arrival (without waking you up or otherwise disturbing you) or available to leave with the ship's agent should you miss the ship's departure or return to you should an emergency require your premature departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know the OP was/is asking about the Bahamas but, When I did the Alaska cruise last year and did the train ride up the mountain we were told we needed to bring our passports as we were crossing into Canada. The Canadian officials did come onto the bus and check passports and then the US CBP folks came onboard the train when we got back to Skagway and checked passports again. (I did the bus up and train down).

Just tossing that out there....you all can argue among yourselves if a passport was required or a passport card or ID and birth certificate would have worked. I have no desire to wade into that debate.

I know the OP was/is asking about the Bahamas but, When I did the Alaska cruise last year and did the train ride up the mountain we were told we needed to bring our passports as we were crossing into Canada. The Canadian officials did come onto the bus and check passports and then the US CBP folks came onboard the train when we got back to Skagway and checked passports again. (I did the bus up and train down).

Just tossing that out there....you all can argue among yourselves if a passport was required or a passport card or ID and birth certificate would have worked. I have no desire to wade into that debate.

ID and birth certificate would not have worked because CBP regulations don't permit their use for a land border crossing...whether by train, bus, car, truck, foot, etc. They are permissible only for closed loop cruises.

Passport cards would work. They are valid for land (and sea) entry .

No need for a debate. This information from the State Department explains the differences between the passport book and passport card: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card/Difference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

ID and birth certificate would not have worked because CBP regulations don't permit their use for a land border crossing...whether by train, bus, car, truck, foot, etc. They are permissible only for closed loop cruises.

Passport cards would work. They are valid for land (and sea) entry .

No need for a debate. This information from the State Department explains the differences between the passport book and passport card: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card/Difference-Between-Passport-Book-and-Card.html

But, would the passport card have worked for Canada? Not that it matters as I have had my passport since 1995 (and just received my new one in the mail today) and NEVER leave the country without it.

Do you need to carry passports when arriving/departing at the ports on your itinerary? When I get off the ship in the Bahamas do I need to show my passport? If so, how do most of you carry it to say the beach when left unattended?

Though many will tell you that you should carry your passport at all times (even while in your home country), the fact is that very few countries require that you have it on you.

I have been on 25 cruises and I keep my passport safely locked in the safe from the time I board to the time I depart. I do however carry a copy of the passport and I have a passport card.

But, would the passport card have worked for Canada? Not that it matters as I have had my passport since 1995 (and just received my new one in the mail today) and NEVER leave the country without it.

Yes Canada (and Mexico) accept it. Under its own laws Canada actually would admit US citizens with nothing more than a birth certificate, but because the US requires a passport, passport card, EDL or other WHTI-compliant document for re-entry, Canada won't let you cross into their country without one of them. The general rule of thumb is that the country with the more restrictive laws or rules sets the standard for documentation.

The primary reason for creating the passport card was to make a more convenient (and much cheaper) wallet-friendly document for those who weren't flying internationally, but need to cross the border into Canada or Mexico (or take a Caribbean cruise). Rather than carrying a passport, you can use the drivers license sized passport card. This was a cooperative effort of the US State Department with DHS, and Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean countries that accept the WHTI-compliant documents. Obviously it doesn't make any sense to create a new class of document if the countries for which you intend it to be used don't agree to its use.

Edited by njhorseman