New Princess Muster Procedure

pjslc

If I understand you correctly, you are wondering if you need to bring medications and paperwork in a suitcase to the muster drill? Thankfully, the answer is no, and you will be just fine with a walker only. You may need some assistance to get down front, though, if it is being held in a tiered venue such as the Princess Theatre. Normally in those, passengers with mobility issues are seated to the rear for convenience.

The question for you, I think, would be how to respond in a true emergency? I would think placing your meds and necessary paperwork in a pocket or pouch attached to your walker would be the way to go, rather than attempt bringing a suitcase to a muster station through possibly crowded passageways in an emergency.

I would check with your Cruise Director to be sure, though, unless another poster has experience with your situation and can shed some light on your concerns.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer. My intention if possible, is to keep the carry-on suitcase packed with meds and paperwork and a walking stick on the walking frame, so that in the event of an emergency situation, I can push the frame aside and manage with the case and walking stick. I know the lifts are not to be used in an emergency situation, so no hope of using the walking frame.

Crochetcruise :cool:

If you have a physical condition that requires assistance in case of a real emergency, notify the Purser's desk.

The assistance needed will then be provided if an emergency occurs.

I was advised by my Travel Agent to do exactly that when booking the cruise-declare my Disabilities and mobility problems upfront so the information is available to Princess Cruises right from the beginning.

With Dad being involved with the Volunteer Fire Brigade, I learnt a lot about emergency evacuations as a kid, it's only as I age and face increasing mobility problems I wish I'd taken more notice of how those problems were dealt with!

Thank you for your response.

Crochetcruise. :cool:

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer. My intention if possible, is to keep the carry-on suitcase packed with meds and paperwork and a walking stick on the walking frame, so that in the event of an emergency situation, I can push the frame aside and manage with the case and walking stick. I know the lifts are not to be used in an emergency situation, so no hope of using the walking frame.

I'm not sure a carry on suitcase would be practical in an emergency. Any chance you could pre-pack a backpack with your meds and paperwork so it'd be easier to carry?

I know the lifts are not to be used in an emergency situation, so no hope of using the walking frame...

I was thinking a walker might be easier/lighter to move down a flight of stairs than a carry-on bag, but you certainly have more experience with this than I.

I think the backpack idea another poster had was a good one. Could you manage with just that and your walking stick? Or do you need the frame or suitcase for additional stability? In the unlikely event of a lifeboat evacuation, I doubt a carry-on bag (and by this I am thinking a typical 22" or so rollaboard commonly used in air travel) would be allowed on a lifeboat due to space restrictions. I would think that a small backback or fanny pack attached to your person would be no problem, though. Not sure how much space you need for your meds.

As others have mentioned, having you or your TA mention this to Princess ahead of sailing, then taking the matter up with the Cruise Director or Hotel Manager (not sure which is best here) once onboard will "cover all bases", and let you rest assured and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

I was thinking a walker might be easier/lighter to move down a flight of stairs than a carry-on bag, but you certainly have more experience with this than I.

I think the backpack idea another poster had was a good one. Could you manage with just that and your walking stick? Or do you need the frame or suitcase for additional stability? In the unlikely event of a lifeboat evacuation, I doubt a carry-on bag (and by this I am thinking a typical 22" or so rollaboard commonly used in air travel) would be allowed on a lifeboat due to space restrictions. I would think that a small backback or fanny pack attached to your person would be no problem, though. Not sure how much space you need for your meds.

As others have mentioned, having you or your TA mention this to Princess ahead of sailing, then taking the matter up with the Cruise Director or Hotel Manager (not sure which is best here) once onboard will "cover all bases", and let you rest assured and enjoy your cruise!

Jolly good points, carefully noted in my diary to contact the Hotel Manager, think passenger safety is more their area but will check with the TA. I need, after using a 12 kg (approx. 26.4 lb) walker which I cannot lift myself, to have something in each hand for stability. I am not safe getting into a backpack, tried and fell, so the suitcase is currently the most practical option, and I'm happy to have it on my knees sitting down to keep the floor clear.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Crochetcruise:cool:

Just home from the Grand one night re-positioning and we had a new version of the muster drill yesterday. I apologize if this is old news but it was a first for me. On the Grand the room steward informed us taking our life jackets to the drill was optional. This was repeated with the announcements from the bridge, stating they understood many people have previously cruised so the new procedure is life jackets are optional. They recommend if it's your first cruise you should take them to try on. In the muster station the drill proceeds as normal, and the crew demonstrates how to put on the life jacket, then you can leave if you want or stay and try on your life jacket if you brought it. I thought it was really great, faster, safer for passengers (some of which can't help but drag the belt) and hope this is the new standard procedure. ;-)

Just returned from the Golden. Life jackets required. Two "helpers" required me to actually put on the life jacket when I stood by and waited to leave. I wasn't going to go through with the drill since I have many cruises behind me. I vote for not bringing the jacket with you. There's always at least one who is trying it on before time.

There's always at least one who is trying it on before time.

For the first time in over 10 years we didn't see a single soul put on their life jacket before being instructed to or hear any whistles being blown on this cruise on the Ruby.:D

We were in awe to say the least.

Mike:)

It's part of the routine equipment checks, blocks of cabins are done on a rotating basis. Not sure how often they are checked.

I think the cabin stewards at least check them after Muster Drill. I came back to my cabin once to find my steward adjusting one of them, presumably the one I had used.

Jolly good points, carefully noted in my diary to contact the Hotel Manager, think passenger safety is more their area but will check with the TA. I need, after using a 12 kg (approx. 26.4 lb) walker which I cannot lift myself, to have something in each hand for stability. I am not safe getting into a backpack, tried and fell, so the suitcase is currently the most practical option, and I'm happy to have it on my knees sitting down to keep the floor clear.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Crochetcruise:cool:

Put a big red cross on it.

Put a big red cross on it.

Chuckles. You and a friend of mine think alike-she suggested taping a sign to the luggage strap (in a plastic pocket) reading STABILITY EQUIPMENT-LEAVE WITH PASSENGER!

That's an idea, find out when/if the local Red Cross is having a Badge Day fundraiser, and buy some stickers! Brilliant idea!

Thanks for the clever prompt-I honestly wouldn't have thought of the badges without your valuable input.

Chuckles. You and a friend of mine think alike-she suggested taping a sign to the luggage strap (in a plastic pocket) reading STABILITY EQUIPMENT-LEAVE WITH PASSENGER!

That's an idea, find out when/if the local Red Cross is having a Badge Day fundraiser, and buy some stickers! Brilliant idea!

Thanks for the clever prompt-I honestly wouldn't have thought of the badges without your valuable input.

Red Crosses are not restricted to the Red Cross. Try eBay or Amazon. Get the biggest decal you can find that will fit and than get some help in putting it on as professional-looking as possible. Even your handyman will do a better job than your average cruiser.

No problem.

My guess is that they will put you in the extreme front of the tender, where there are relatively few seats and possibly you can put it under your legs or in front of them without bugging other passengers in what will be a tense situation. I was talking to a ship's officer on the Pacific Princess, he says that although the capacity for tendering is 120, they rarely fit more than 90 in, but in an emergency, its 150. Things are going to be ... tight. They might take it away from you and put it in some storage space.

Me, if that happens and I can get to my cabin, it's my electronics and document wallet, plus prescription and at least one more layer of clothing than I think I will need. I use a school-size backpack I got at Office Depot so I think I'll be OK bringing it on.

Edited by Wehwalt