New Princess Muster Procedure

pjslc

I agree, only blue cards. If only a fraction of the people need to take their life jackets, that will definitely decrease the tripping hazards from everyone trailing their straps on the floor behind them!

Of course if you are under 18 you will have a blue card even if you have sailed with Princess once or twice every year since you were born...

I would love not to have to take the life jacket to the muster station. On my first cruise I tripped on my life jacket going down the stairs and spent the remainder of the cruise icing my blown up knee. I still have flashbacks every muster. :eek:

RDSgrl-Please read up in Lloyds Registry, Fairplay or Seaweb and you will see that "addtional" lockers are being placed along exterior decks, and more internal spaces within muster stations. All cruise lines are making these changes ahead of regulatory requirements.

We'll be able to head straight for a bar without having to go back to our cabin to put away our life jackets! :D

LuLu

The cynic in me suspects this might be the real reason for the change :). If they get people back to the bars fast enough, they might sell a few more drinks.

Personally I'm not overly convinced that muster drills are all that effective in the first place. In a true emergency, I think you're going to find the panic levels high enough that a sizeable fraction of people are going to ignore what they were told anyways. I know in the Crown tilt incident there were people running up and down the halls in their life jackets, never mind that we never mustered and by the time they did that the ship was stopped and floating normally. If the ship was actually sinking, I think things would be far closer to what happened on the Concordia than it would be an orderly situation. I could be wrong of course, but let's face it, do you honestly think all those people that can't follow the directions in the muster drill are going to follow directions if the ship is sinking?

The sinking of the Concordia should not be joked about, 32 people lost their lives.

I for one will be paying very close attention during the muster drill. If I drown it won't because I was an idiot and decided to ignore a demonstration that could potentially save my life.

Edited by zephyrella14

The cynic in me suspects this might be the real reason for the change :). If they get people back to the bars fast enough, they might sell a few more drinks.

Personally I'm not overly convinced that muster drills are all that effective in the first place. In a true emergency, I think you're going to find the panic levels high enough that a sizeable fraction of people are going to ignore what they were told anyways. I know in the Crown tilt incident there were people running up and down the halls in their life jackets, never mind that we never mustered and by the time they did that the ship was stopped and floating normally. If the ship was actually sinking, I think things would be far closer to what happened on the Concordia than it would be an orderly situation. I could be wrong of course, but let's face it, do you honestly think all those people that can't follow the directions in the muster drill are going to follow directions if the ship is sinking?

The crew would be so overwhelmed by the thousands of people scrambling around, not because they didn't know what to do but simply because of the situation. Their only hope is that people would make it to their assigned station so they could manage a smaller group from turning into a mob....and don't forget to step off, don't jump. :rolleyes:

Hi All

When on Ruby a few weeks ago l reported large new extra cabinets on prom deck, happy to see this change,

My concern has always been you get the instruction to return to cabin and to get your life jacket, you were going to get a crush of folks in the hallways some trying to get to cabins others trying to leave.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

I used to be one of those that never went to muster.All because they told us 'They did not need to check us because they knew who did not arrive'.That was untrue at that time.When the bell rang I would open my cabin door then close it and have a relaxing time in my cabin. Naturally I cannot get away with it now.I used to have a laugh to myself.:D;)

I honestly would be embarrassed to admit this. I also wonder who would have problems in the event that there was a real emergency.

I guess I am surprised someone would do this and laugh at it. We have fire drills 2x a year where I work and each time I go outside and follow protocol. They say it is repetition of these type of drills that saves lives. I understand if someone did a muster drill the week before and can skip it but not if you didn't sail the week or two before.

This is also why staff does drills weekly. I am glad they take it seriously.

Edited by Coral

After being on a ship in an actual emergency, when the Crown listed in 2006, everyone, including crew should be required to go to muster with your life jacket. During this event, everyone on board was frightened, running, yelling, crying, etc...reinforcement is the best way to ensure everyone, including crew, are ready for any potential problem.

I am an RN and worked in the medical center for several hours after our event...many crew members were afraid, panicked, frozen with fear and wanted off the ship. So don't be fooled thinking everyone onboard will be in control during an actual event. Most have never experienced any type of energency and you don't know how you will react til you are there ....we are all human.

Can't have tooooo much training ;)

After being on a ship in an actual emergency, when the Crown listed in 2006, everyone, including crew should be required to go to muster with your life jacket. During this event, everyone on board was frightened, running, yelling, crying, etc...reinforcement is the best way to ensure everyone, including crew, are ready for any potential problem.

I am an RN and worked in the medical center for several hours after our event...many crew members were afraid, panicked, frozen with fear and wanted off the ship. So don't be fooled thinking everyone onboard will be in control during an actual event. Most have never experienced any type of energency and you don't know how you will react til you are there ....we are all human.

How did you happen to be working in the medical center? Did you volunteer or did they ask for your help? I'm an RN as well...just curious!

Changes in maritime laws are coming soon, that will see all life jackets stored at muster stations and in the areas where boats and rafts are boarded, rather than in accomodations. Many cruise lines are now starting to do the same with exisiting vessels. On a recent cruise on Emerald Princess we found many large varnished wooden cupboards along Promenade deck in various areas. All were full of life jackets, and apparently just recently been placed there.
There have been wooden cupboards full of life jackets on every Princess ship I have sailed on. It's not a new regulation:

5442567533_068e8459d5_z.jpgGolden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

3232983262_f590118301_z.jpg?zz=1Star Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

I couldn't agree more. We have a son who is with BC Ferries and I am always amazed how much time they spend training their crews in emergency procedures.

That said, I have often questioned the need of taking a life jacket to the muster drill. First off you have to be pretty stupid to not be able to don a life jacket and secondly those trailing straps do pose a trip hazard particularly on the stairs.

At the muster drill it is always impressed that the need to abandon ship is highly unlikely and done only as a lost resort. We are more likely to be mustered for a fire or some other emergency.

If it became necessary to abandon ship during the day it is highly unlikely we would be able to get back to our cabins for life jackets thus the need for them to be in lockers and elsewhere around the ship.

Jasperdo-please reread post # 78. You missed the word "additional", and yes it is a new regulation.
Thanks for the clarification. But your original post did not mention that these were additional cupboards. You made it sound like the life boat cupboards hadn't been on Promenade Deck before this new regulation.

Susyed...there were many injures on the ship. After locating my family and making sure we were all safe, my daughter actually said I should go see if I could help. I had met the nursing staff and doctors previously and they knew I was an Emergency Room RN, so I showed up, asked them if they needed help and they said absolutely....Princess was VERY generous to all the medical volunteers..there were nurses, firemen, policemen, emts and paramedics..mass casualty triage was set up on multiple decks, patients were assessed and treated, tags were given out ....a bit of chaos in the beginning with the numbers of patients arriving at the Med Center, which is very small, but then we got organized and were very efficient .

I think you are on our upcoming Crown Hawaii/Tahiti cruise...we will have to chat more!

Edited by hillslife

When I was on the Emerald recently the benches on the promenade deck had been changed and now had a locker underneath them like a bench seat full of life jackets. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, I did look at them and think that's new but didn't have a camera.

I was a flight attendant for many years and I've encountered many frightening situations in the air. I was surprised myself over how calm and in control I always was during those events, I felt no fear...

But on a ship....I dunno. #1 I can't swim and #2 the thought of the enormity and depth of the sea terrifies me. I'm still cruising though, fear won't stop me, but please forgive me if I'm one of the panicked, crying passengers if there is an emergency. :eek::eek:

I'll try to be more in control of my emotions in the face of possibly losing my life at sea:rolleyes: call me selfish if you will

Edited by zephyrella14

I always go to muster and take my life jacket, but for the last 20 or so cruises haven't bothered to put it on. In addition to having taken lots of cruises, I also crewed on sailboats when I was young and foolish so I am pretty well familiar with the process of wearing a life jacket and think I could manage it quite easily, even under duress.

But on a ship....I dunno. #1 I can't swim and #2 the thought of the enormity and depth of the sea terrifies me. I'm still cruising though, fear won't stop me, but please forgive me if I'm one of the panicked, crying passengers if there is an emergency. :eek::eek:

I'll try to be more in control of my emotions in the face of possibly losing my life at sea:rolleyes: call me selfish if you will

Don't worry about it. The odds of anything serious happening are very small. You'll just enjoy yourself.

I'm on the SF Bay 3 times a week and use my own personal PFD (personal flotation device). Those big orange clunky life vests on our cruise ships are nothing like what most people use in their own boats...maybe some chartered boats.

I generally use our cabin PFDs as a pillow during the Muster drills when we have to all gather in a stuffy room which usually takes more than 40 minutes for everyone to show up. It makes a good cushion for taking a nap until everyone arrives and the instructions begin. If we don't have to bring them with us anymore, I might take mine anyway as it always helps with those needed short naps.

I always pay attention when the instructions begin though sometimes I need a bit of a nudging from my husband to wake up, especially if I begin to snore.:o

Susyed...there were many injures on the ship. After locating my family and making sure we were all safe, my daughter actually said I should go see if I could help. I had met the nursing staff and doctors previously and they knew I was an Emergency Room RN, so I showed up, asked them if they needed help and they said absolutely....Princess was VERY generous to all the medical volunteers..there were nurses, firemen, policemen, emts and paramedics..mass casualty triage was set up on multiple decks, patients were assessed and treated, tags were given out ....a bit of chaos in the beginning with the numbers of patients arriving at the Med Center, which is very small, but then we got organized and were very efficient .

Thank you and your fellow volunteers for volunteering to do this on your "vacation".