New Princess Muster Procedure

pjslc

• 2 weeks later...
Sailing on the Golden tomorrow, hope the new procedure without lifejackets is being implemented.

Waiting to hear about the golden. I sail Oct 17th. I do have a blue card but this is my 5th Princess cruise. My family member works for Princess so if you receive a discount, the cruise does not go towards your captains circle credit. Basically I will always have a blue card....but I am for sure not complaining about it!

Waiting to hear about the golden. I sail Oct 17th. I do have a blue card but this is my 5th Princess cruise. My family member works for Princess so if you receive a discount, the cruise does not go towards your captains circle credit. Basically I will always have a blue card....but I am for sure not complaining about it!

FYI. Not completely accurate. You still accrue credit, so if and when you pay full fare, you will get your correct status (Platinum after this cruise).

Edited by RickEk

last week on the Golden, we still had to take the life jackets but one difference from all the other Princess musters that we have attended.........during the actual instruction part of the muster, all the staff attendants scattered through out the room (Princess theatre in our case) were constantly tapping passengers on the shoulder and indicating to them to stop doing whatever they were doing (nodding off, texting, talking, fiddling with their jacket, etc) and pay attention to the instructions. I have never seen this behavior before and it was quite obvious that they had been directed to make sure that the passengers were focused on the drill. It was good to see.

Edited by andio2of5

last week on the Golden, we still had to take the life jackets but one difference from all the other Princess musters that we have attended.........during the actual instruction part of the muster, all the staff attendants scattered through out the room (Princess theatre in our case) were constantly tapping passengers on the shoulder and indicating to them to stop doing whatever they were doing (nodding off, texting, talking, fiddling with their jacket, etc) and pay attention to the instructions. I have never seen this behavior before and it was quite obvious that they had been directed to make sure that the passengers were focused on the drill. It was good to see.

Finally.

Finally.

No prompting to stay awake here in Florida although people did stop texting during the drill. Also names were called for all the people who missed the original muster.

Given that the muster drill is supposed to be a safety drill, I think excusing life jackets from the drill is ill advised. How many times a year do people put on life jackets? Even if it were every day, if there's an emergency you don't know how difficult that thing might be to get on. And its fine that there are jackets in the survival craft and on promenade deck, but they won't do any good if people don't know how to put them on. Imagine what would happen if the airlines told you there was emergency oxygen in case of cabin pressure changes, but didn't show you how to get it.

Princess should require people bring their jackets to the drill just like they always did. The excuse that experience cruisers don't need to try them on is hollow at best. Jackets change. And you can be that people who never had one on will pick up that others aren't bringing or trying on theirs...

Bad move, Princess.

Edited by bdjam

Hi There

On planes they show you how to put on a life jacket, or how to use an oxygen mask, you do not get a chance to practice, so cruise lines are just following what airlines do.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Given that the muster drill is supposed to be a safety drill, I think excusing life jackets from the drill is ill advised. How many times a year do people put on life jackets? Even if it were every day, if there's an emergency you don't know how difficult that thing might be to get on. And its fine that there are jackets in the survival craft and on promenade deck, but they won't do any good if people don't know how to put them on. Imagine what would happen if the airlines told you there was emergency oxygen in case of cabin pressure changes, but didn't show you how to get it.

Princess should require people bring their jackets to the drill just like they always did. The excuse that experience cruisers don't need to try them on is hollow at best. Jackets change. And you can be that people who never had one on will pick up that others aren't bringing or trying on theirs...

Bad move, Princess.

Totally silly logic.

Princess suggests that if you're in doubt about how to put the jacket on to bring it to the drill. The securing straps on the jackets don't change but if you feel the need then go ahead & bring yours to try on.

Even on planes the info provided is minimal at best. Do you know how to slide down an emergency slide or open the plane door?

Some simple things in life have to be taken for granted.

Great move, Princess.

This is exactly what we were told on the Golden last week, that jackets can vary and even experienced cruisers need to bring theirs to muster and put them on. No exceptions were allowed, and those caught dozing during muster were awakened by staff.

Putting on the life vest at the start of a cruise gives me the opportunity to adjust the straps to fit ME. That way, in an emergency, mine is ready for me. If by chance, I need to use one from the deck or survival craft, I will know how to adjust it quickly.

Hi There

On planes they show you how to put on a life jacket, or how to use an oxygen mask, you do not get a chance to practice, so cruise lines are just following what airlines do.

Yours Shogun

Sorry - that doesn't "fly." An airplane where you're mostly restricted to your seat and a cruise ship are two different environments. And there's really little use for a life jacket on a plane - most water landings result in instant death.

Totally silly logic.

Princess suggests that if you're in doubt about how to put the jacket on to bring it to the drill. The securing straps on the jackets don't change but if you feel the need then go ahead & bring yours to try on.

Even on planes the info provided is minimal at best. Do you know how to slide down an emergency slide or open the plane door?

Some simple things in life have to be taken for granted.

Great move, Princess.

Until you need oxygen on an airplane, my logic may be silly. I do know how to slide down an emergency slide and I know how to open an airplane door and engage a slide that won't inflate automatically. Those safety cards that no one reads have some important information in them. I make it my personal responsibility to know how to get out of an airplane in an emergency, realizing that panic and confusion will prevail and I need to know how to take care of myself.

When it comes to safety, taking things for granted only puts you in a position that is far less than safe. Drills are held for a reason. The more you practice the better prepared you are in case of a real emergency. Princess is putting itself in a position of increased liability by not requiring passengers to know how to put on a life jacket. How much time can be saved getting off a sinking ship if 3000 passengers don't have to be assisted with life jackets? Given the fact that shipboard accidents haven't become unheard of, it is less than responsible for cruise lines to take this approach to safety.

Since putting the jacket on seems to be a simple effort for all of you, perhaps you might consider that the two seconds it takes you to practice it at muster might be a small investment to save your life. Safety first.

This is exactly what we were told on the Golden last week, that jackets can vary and even experienced cruisers need to bring theirs to muster and put them on. No exceptions were allowed, and those caught dozing during muster were awakened by staff.

I'm glad someone takes it seriously. It's puzzling that one ship uses this rationale and then Princess says that this exact thing isn't a concern. :rolleyes:

Edited by bdjam

I only cruise about once every 5 to 7 years, so I need the drill. My apologies in advance.

You certainly don't need to apologize.

If the muster drill was not necessary it would not be required of all passengers.

Mike:)

I only cruise about once every 5 to 7 years, so I need the drill. My apologies in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Please don't apologize. The safety drill is necessary and after many cruises, I just consider it part of my cruise experience.

Don't let the natives scare you!