New Princess Muster Procedure

pjslc

The change hadn't been made about 3 weeks ago when we sailed on the Caribbean Princess. Glad to have this change and not have to drag my life jacket to the each muster. Also good to know those that try to skip the muster are being caught.

That is a good idea, we were on the CB in August and had to take our life jackets with us, although we may hold the speed record for getting them on properly (not to mention ripping them right off again and getting them in storage configuration with the straps all tucked neatly away). I do think it should be mandatory that those sailing with Princess for the first time, or the first time in several years take them along and practice donning them. But it will be much safer to not have straps trailing all over the floor. We'll be on the CB again in October so it will be welcome change.

Cards have been scanned for a number of years now.

Hepatitis B can live outside the body for up to a week.

I guess only blow the whistle following longer cruises...

I will only blow the whistle if I'm in the water and wanting to be found! (Hopefully that means I will never blow the thing...)

We always wait to put the lifejacket on at the proper time. It is getting it back together where I have the problem.:o Because we are aft dwellers, we usually get Club Fusion which is packed. It will be nice to not have to step over all those straps.;)

Straight to Sail A Way is a good thing.:D:D

I am also one who listens every time. And I listen to Flight Attendants also. :)

Just wondering, as I was reading this thread, who and when do they check the life jackets in the rooms to make sure they are safe?

Also, the last time we were doing the safety drill we were in one of the bars. Heck if that is where it is done again this time I'll just stay and have a drink until the stairs clear! :rolleyes:

The reason you blow the whistle in the water is to let the sharks know where you are.

That is another reason that some Princess employee will have to push me off the ship. When they tell you don't jump, hold your nose and step off, I am thinking NO WAY!!!!!!:eek::eek:

I will only blow the whistle if I'm in the water and wanting to be found! (Hopefully that means I will never blow the thing...)

OMG, can you imagine polluting the ocean if you contacted NORO??:eek:

Seriously, this is a welcome change for those who have cruised in the past. As far back as 2013 that I can recall, Celebrity has not required life jackets at muster drills for anyone. Don't know if this is good or bad, but it is more comfortable without them!

It's part of the routine equipment checks, blocks of cabins are done on a rotating basis. Not sure how often they are checked.

Just wondering, as I was reading this thread, who and when do they check the life jackets in the rooms to make sure they are safe?

Also, the last time we were doing the safety drill we were in one of the bars. Heck if that is where it is done again this time I'll just stay and have a drink until the stairs clear! :rolleyes:

We'll be able to head straight for a bar without having to go back to our cabin to put away our life jackets! :D

LuLu

Actually I think this may even get more people to attend the drill. Not having to head back to your cabin immediately afterward to drop off the lifejacket may boost attendance.

We were on the Grand 9/7-9/14. Maybe we were the first week to try this new approach. It was great not having to try and get it back to your room before sail away! Sadly, we didn't hear any whistle blowers in the Vista Lounge during the drill. :p We did see some people who had brought their jackets and stayed to have one of the crew help them try it on. Nice to know they were trying it!

During our week onboard, we walked on the promenade many times before lunch. (Have to make room for more food somehow, right?) :D There was always a crew member working on the jackets that were in the lockers on deck, so I think they are checked over on a rotating basis.

I was just off the seven-day Caribbean Princess on Saturday and that was the case. No life jackets were required for those who had sailed in the past; the muster was still mandatory for all. It was recommended that first-time cruisers should take them to the drill.

It was so nice not to have to dodge trailing straps from hundreds of life jackets. My cabin mate who was on her first cruise took her life jacket and practiced putting it on after instructed in the procedure.

Personally, I think that blue cards should be required to bring the life jackets... Sure, folks may have sailed on other cruise lines, but if it's their first time on Princess, they may as well get the full muster drill experience. :)

Actually I think this may even get more people to attend the drill. Not having to head back to your cabin immediately afterward to drop off the lifejacket may boost attendance.

If you don't make the muster drill they now call your name out for a makeup 10 minutes after the regular drill is let out. No more skipping muster.

Changes in maritime laws are coming soon, that will see all life jackets stored at muster stations and in the areas where boats and rafts are boarded, rather than in accomodations. Many cruise lines are now starting to do the same with exisiting vessels. On a recent cruise on Emerald Princess we found many large varnished wooden cupboards along Promenade deck in various areas. All were full of life jackets, and apparently just recently been placed there.