New Princess Muster Procedure

pjslc

News to me! Hope it will be fleet wide! How nice it would be not to have to take life jackets to the muster drill! :D

LuLu

My last few cruises we didn't have to bring life jackets to muster on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and for the life of me, I don't remember if we did on Cunard!

I think as long as we know there are two in our cabin and where the others are located on deck, we shouldn't have to bring them to muster. JMHO

Don't forget about those that cannot resist the urge to blow on the norovirus laden emergency whistle.

That part always amazes me!! EWWW! Why on earth would you put something in you mouth unless you really really had to!! Again, EWWW! :eek:

Edited by suzyed

I enjoy making the light lite up on the life jacket. Leave it to my SIL who showed me how. No germs involved either.

I chuckle when I see people making the light lite up....I can't help thinking maybe their batteries will die before the batteries in mine, so when the "rescue" happens, my light will be shining bright and I will be one of the first rescued!

Changes in maritime laws are coming soon, that will see all life jackets stored at muster stations and in the areas where boats and rafts are boarded, rather than in accomodations. Many cruise lines are now starting to do the same with exisiting vessels. On a recent cruise on Emerald Princess we found many large varnished wooden cupboards along Promenade deck in various areas. All were full of life jackets, and apparently just recently been placed there.

I believe those cabinets have been there on the Crown/Emerald/Ruby for some time, although it is possible that they may have added some recently. I don't recall seeing any cabinets like that on the Golden last week though.

Changes in maritime laws are coming soon, that will see all life jackets stored at muster stations and in the areas where boats and rafts are boarded, rather than in accomodations. Many cruise lines are now starting to do the same with exisiting vessels. On a recent cruise on Emerald Princess we found many large varnished wooden cupboards along Promenade deck in various areas. All were full of life jackets, and apparently just recently been placed there.

Makes complete sense to me. By the time we walked up the stairs to our cabin on the Lido deck and back down again...........:eek:

Cheers, Denise

Extra life jackets have always been stored in or near muster locations. Nor are the wooden lockers on promenade decks new -- they've been there right along.

I am not sure that this is new, there has always been varnished teak lockers on the promenade deck for life jackets. I have always assumed that they were there for people who might not be able to get back to their cabins in the event of an emergency.

We still had to drag the darned things to the drill on the Sept. 2 Ruby cruise, but I've noticed that the crew doesn't say anything if you don't actually put it on. It would be great if just leaving them in the cabin went fleet wide.

Just home from the Grand one night re-positioning and we had a new version of the muster drill yesterday. I apologize if this is old news but it was a first for me. On the Grand the room steward informed us taking our life jackets to the drill was optional. This was repeated with the announcements from the bridge, stating they understood many people have previously cruised so the new procedure is life jackets are optional. They recommend if it's your first cruise you should take them to try on. In the muster station the drill proceeds as normal, and the crew demonstrates how to put on the life jacket, then you can leave if you want or stay and try on your life jacket if you brought it. I thought it was really great, faster, safer for passengers (some of which can't help but drag the belt) and hope this is the new standard procedure. ;-)

We were also on the one-night cruise and thought it was fantastic that you didn't have to take the life jacket with you if you didn't want to. We had to on our April cruise so between then and now the muster drill changed. I hope they keep it that way. Much nicer in deed.

A fantastic idea! Hope they roll it out fleet wide before we're on the Regal in February.

I've always wondered why they put the life vests in your cabin. Other than at night when you're sleeping, you would most likely be far away from your cabin if there was a problem. What do you do? Go back to the cabin to get your life vests? :eek: Of course not!

I chuckle when I see people making the light lite up....I can't help thinking maybe their batteries will die before the batteries in mine, so when the "rescue" happens, my light will be shining bright and I will be one of the first rescued!

OK, do tell...How do you make it light up? Don't you have to expose it to water?

this is a great idea. I have not put mine on in several years. Several times in the past I have left it in my stateroom and they just told me I should have brought it. I hope our cruise next month has this policy in force. It is such a bother to drag it to the meeting place and then drag it back to the cabin.

I used to be one of those that never went to muster.All because they told us 'They did not need to check us because they knew who did not arrive'.That was untrue at that time.When the bell rang I would open my cabin door then close it and have a relaxing time in my cabin. Naturally I cannot get away with it now.I used to have a laugh to myself.:D;)

Edited by kruisey

I'm amazed by the people who totally ignore the instructions and are busy putting the things on a fiddling with them when the person doing the demonstration is saying over and over to NOT put them on yet.

We aren't amazed anymore. What we now do is make a guess as to how many of these folks will start putting them on while the demonstration is going on and how many take the life jackets back to their cabin with the straps trailing behind.

I like the idea of not having to take the jackets with you at muster if you are a past cruiser, but it really isn't a big deal. I am more concerned that most aren't really paying attention and they are the ones that might cause a problem if there is a real situation.

With Princess changing the location of the life jackets to the promenade deck I wonder if the Elites will be give priority distribution during an emergency similar to the tender boarding? ;)

If there were a true emergency, the panic to receive one could really get out of hand quickly. At least when they were in our cabins you knew where yours was.

I am not sure that this is new, there has always been varnished teak lockers on the promenade deck for life jackets. I have always assumed that they were there for people who might not be able to get back to their cabins in the event of an emergency.

Not sure where I heard this but have heard it many times, if you are unable to return to your cabin if Muster is called, to report to your Muster Station as they have plenty life jackets on deck for those who don't bring theirs.

I also thought the cabinets have been there for years. It just makes sense.

Edited by Coral

With Princess changing the location of the life jackets to the promenade deck I wonder if the Elites will be give priority distribution during an emergency similar to the tender boarding? ;)

If there were a true emergency, the panic to receive one could really get out of hand quickly. At least when they were in our cabins you knew where yours was.

They have always been on the Promenade deck. It isn't feasible in every emergency to return to your cabin for your life vest.

Life jackets are always in your cabin.

Not sure where I heard this but have heard it many times, if you are unable to return to your cabin if Muster is called, to report to your Muster Station as they have plenty life jackets on deck for those who don't bring theirs.

They've got to add more cabinets sine they always count on a majority bringing the one from their cabin.

I have also heard this many times. It might be at the muster drill.

Personally, I think that blue cards should be required to bring the life jackets... Sure, folks may have sailed on other cruise lines, but if it's their first time on Princess, they may as well get the full muster drill experience. :)

I agree, only blue cards. If only a fraction of the people need to take their life jackets, that will definitely decrease the tripping hazards from everyone trailing their straps on the floor behind them!