Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

Three cruises on X within the last 18 months and ZERO issues with music in any bar. Never once had an issue with being able to carry on a conversation. Actually we kept joking about how loud the music was and how our eardrums had burst from all of the so called loud music. LOL......:rolleyes:

Honestly, if you had been on one of the cruises with the loud music, your "never once had an issue being able to carry on a conversation" would be beyond ridiculous unless your communication was 100% by ASL. No way you were in a bar with the blasting and were able to carry on a conversation. We have also been on 4 Celebrity cruises in the last 18 months with no problem with the music. But we have been on 2 that the music was unbearable.

You know, please share with us all the cruises you have been on with what you consider loud music.

We've been on over 50, on 7 different lines and the only time we've ever noticed an issue was on S Class Celebrity ships (and that only twice in the last 6 sailings). But never volume even remotely like that on Carnival, NCL, Costa or RCCL (and probably goes without saying on Oceania, Ponant and HAL).

I've been on over 30 cruises (maybe more like over 35 by now) and have been on Century Class, M-Class and S-Class ships on Celebrity. Yes, S-Class was louder than the other two classes, but even though other passengers complained, I did not feel it was too loud.

Why is it so hard to think that those of us (and I'm obviously not the only one proven by the other posters) that don't have an issue with the loudness have experienced it and don't have an issue with it. Are we not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours? Have you not read the posts that one person on a ship says it is ear splitting and someone else on the same ship, same cruise said it was not a problem. It is a difference of opinion.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Honestly, if you had been on one of the cruises with the loud music, your "never once had an issue being able to carry on a conversation" would be beyond ridiculous unless your communication was 100% by ASL. No way you were in a bar with the blasting and were able to carry on a conversation. We have also been on 4 Celebrity cruises in the last 18 months with no problem with the music. But we have been on 2 that the music was unbearable.

I stated my experience. MY EXPERIENCE. GET IT? I stated my experience on board several Celebrity ships just like others have posted. Now do you get it?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I stated my experience. MY EXPERIENCE. GET IT? I stated my experience on board several Celebrity ships just like others have posted. Now do you get it?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think that you both are on the same page from what I read. Despite my ears are hurt my eyeballs have not bled out.

I've been on over 30 cruises (maybe more like over 35 by now) and have been on Century Class, M-Class and S-Class ships on Celebrity. Yes, S-Class was louder than the other two classes, but even though other passengers complained, I did not feel it was too loud.

Why is it so hard to think that those of us (and I'm obviously not the only one proven by the other posters) that don't have an issue with the loudness have experienced it and don't have an issue with it. Are we not allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours? Have you not read the posts that one person on a ship says it is ear splitting and someone else on the same ship, same cruise said it was not a problem. It is a difference of opinion.

You're in a lose-lose situation on this board. Some want Celebrity to be another HAL. Sorry but I'm far too young to be cruising on a floating nursing home but based on some of what I have read I assume some would enjoy that atmosphere. :rolleyes:

You're in a lose-lose situation on this board. Some want Celebrity to be another HAL. Sorry but I'm far too young to be cruising on a floating nursing home but based on some of what I have read I assume some would enjoy that atmosphere. :rolleyes:
Don't ever give up voicing your opinion. Hey I turned 65 this year and I'm far to young for HAL.

Nor would my Ipad; just another example of the bad information that is posted on here.

Wow, I believe the IPad line from MizDemeanor was a joke and she tried to have a bit of fun at her typo. You really need to lighten up.

Edited by Oville

Try NCL. Lots of bars. Lots and lots. Not too many 65ers either. Way better than HAL.
Thanks for the suggestion, but because of my Caesar's Palace connection, I already do. Out of my 6 booked cruises, 3 are on Celebrity, 2 are on NCL and 1 on Crystal. In November, I'll be on an 11 day NCL cruise in a penthouse and it cost me less than $800. NCL's suite experience is top notch and their specialty restaurants are awesome. Edited by NLH Arizona

Just got off a Princess cruise to Alaska and the music in their atrium was WAY louder than anything I've heard on Celebrity, but everyone seemed to enjoy the nightly music immensely. As we walked the length of the ship, the music was emanating loudly from many venues. It was a great cruise with quality entertainment. Nobody was complaining, and the median age appeared to be 65

However, on Princess ships the atriums do not go beyond three stories. Therefore, it doesn't affect the library, the staterooms, et cet

I do feel truly lucky that the music was not at a level unfit for human beings on my last two Celebrity sailings. I went on that last cruise expecting a horrific situation, only to find myself asking, "Is THIS what everyone is complaining about?"

Princess atrium music was way louder. We expected a sedate cruise to Alaska. Quite the opposite.

Loud orchestra many nights playing in central atrium, but it was excellent quality music and everyone burst into applause.

I did miss the martini bar a lot, however. I must confess

Just got off a Princess cruise to Alaska and the music in their atrium was WAY louder than anything I've heard on Celebrity, but everyone seemed to enjoy the nightly music immensely. As we walked the length of the ship, the music was emanating loudly from many venues. It was a great cruise with quality entertainment. Nobody was complaining, and the median age appeared to be 65

However, on Princess ships the atriums do not go beyond three stories. Therefore, it doesn't affect the library, the staterooms, et cet

I do feel truly lucky that the music was not at a level unfit for human beings on my last two Celebrity sailings. I went on that last cruise expecting a horrific situation, only to find myself asking, "Is THIS what everyone is complaining about?"

Princess atrium music was way louder. We expected a sedate cruise to Alaska. Quite the opposite.

Loud orchestra many nights playing in central atrium, but it was excellent quality music and everyone burst into applause.

I did miss the martini bar a lot, however. I must confess

I don't think the music was loud on our cruise was it? I think some cruises have had rather loud music. And others have music where you can carry on a conversation. Were you able to have conversations at the Martini Bar in April? Just curious.

Edited by hulamoon

Some think the food on X is good while others think just the opposite. Some think the entertainment is good while others think the opposite. Some think the music is too loud while some think the opposite. It's unfortunate that a thread can only be about the music being too loud. There are some who have no issue with the volume of the music but it seems that some want to dismiss those opinions. ;)

I don't think anyone is disputing that many people have never had a problem with the level of music in the Martini Bar. If I hadn't personally experienced the extreme music a couple of times I might not have understood it either.

I've spent 6 to 8 weeks a year on board S-class ships since they came online. The great majority of them have had the music at a level that you describe, loud modern music, but not to where you can't possibly speak to someone right next to you. Unfortunately if you've never had that experience, you wouldn't have any idea of what it's like. If you're fortunate, hopefully you never will.

Back on topic, I think the Martini Bar on Celebrity is probably a very good revenue source and the company will make music decisions based on how much money this bar brings in. If loud music attracts younger people spending big bucks and quieter music attracts an older crowd who don't drink as much, loud music it will be. Try walking into bars in South Beach or NYC attracting an affluent younger base and the noise is staggering.

I live in a small village on Cape Cod. There is a very popular upscale restaurant with a small bar. For us, it is so loud in there we can't here ourselves think let alone carry one a conversation. During the summer months one has to make reservations weeks in advance and then you are lucky to get one. Not our cup of tea, but it is for many.

Edited by Oville

Back on topic, I think the Martini Bar on Celebrity is probably a very good revenue source and the company will make music decisions based on how much money this bar brings in. If loud music attracts younger people spending big bucks and quieter music attracts an older crowd who don't drink as much, loud music it will be. Try walking into bars in South Beach or NYC attracting an affluent younger base and the noise is staggering.

I live in a small village on Cape Cod. There is a very popular upscale restaurant with a small bar. For us, it is so loud in there we can't here ourselves think let alone carry one a conversation. During the summer months one has to make reservations weeks in advance and then you are lucky to get one. Not our cup of tea, but it is for many.

I understand your point. What I don't understand is if this was the intent why is it sporadic? Some cruises are loud and others as it was originally launched. With so many drink packages, they may well do better with the teetotalers in there. Lol

I don't know any die hard HAL fans that want Celebrity to be HAL. The ones that love HAL are loving HAL.

Edited by hulamoon

I think you hit the nail on the head....it is the revenue the bar generates. I remember after some complaining on here before, the music seemed to be turned down based on reports back from cruisers. You've got to wonder if they noticed a drop in revenue with the quieter music and decided to turn up the volume in hopes of generating the revenue they were use to and you can't blame them for it because after all they are in business to make money. Edited by NLH Arizona

I started this thread and said the Martini bar was our bar of choice on our past 7 Celebrity cruises. On cruise #8 it was, for us unbearably loud. It is our opinion - I suggest we stop the bickering about what is or isn't loud, or what the music should be in any venue and close this thread and all enjoy our next cruise.

Edited by jelayne

Hi all,

Is this an isolated incident on Solstice?

Having been on lots of Celebrity cruises, I can say that on most of them the volume is loud, but not obnoxious but there have been a couple that have been unbearable and it's not a matter of taste. I wasn't on this one, so I can't say for sure but from the description from multiple people it sounds like it may be one of those. The only time I've seen the Martini Bar not so busy was when they had the extremely loud music. People just had to leave.

Edited by Ma Bell

I think you hit the nail on the head....it is the revenue the bar generates. I remember after some complaining on here before, the music seemed to be turned down based on reports back from cruisers. You've got to wonder if they noticed a drop in revenue with the quieter music and decided to turn up the volume in hopes of generating the revenue they were use to and you can't blame them for it because after all they are in business to make money.

But of course the free drink packages blow my theory up.