Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

We agree that the Martini bar should be a upbeat, fun atmosphere and it was on our previous 7 Celebrity cruises. Where we differ is on the volume. When conversation becomes impossible in the Martini bar because of the volume of the music it is no longer fun. The Martini Bar is not a venue intended for dancing.

Quasar and the Sky Lounge are dance venues where we expect,and enjoy the louder music to dance.

Different people have different opinions and no one is right or no one is wrong. I just look at the Martini Bar differently, for it to have upbeat music that is low, is not appealing to me. I've been on cruises where people are calling the music ear splitting and I didn't consider it even loud. I was on one cruise where at the pool, this lady was complaining so loud about the loud music, you couldn't hear the music over her complaining. Again, it is just a difference of opinion and likes and dislikes.

Unless the Martini Bar is empty every night, I would think that Celebrity feels that they have the right atmosphere there that the majority likes. People can always show their displeasure by going to another venue.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It seems the volumn issues are either non existent or intolerable on s class.. We rarely read where one person was there and wanted it louder and someone else wanted it quieter on the same sailing.

As those of us who may have spent a little too much time in rock concerts in our earlier days know, there are genuine unhealthy volumn levels.

While we spend little time at the pool and never experienced what others have, we once left the martini bar as we had to yell at each other to understand what the other was saying, and even doing so, could not hear the other. Maybe it could be renamed, The Lipreaders Bar?

The bars open concept appears to be designed for conversation.

We like the the bartender tricks, but we aren't there all that much. I could see it may get old if I watched it all the time.

As those of us who may have spent a little too much time in rock concerts in our earlier days know, there are genuine unhealthy volumn levels.

Not for everyone, I've attended thousands of concerts over my 30+ years in the business and have my hearing check yearly and it is perfect.

wwcruisers, were you on the recent Canada Summit sailing?

We only went to the Martini Bar once, and we did not find it loud at all. We started sitting at the bar, but I didn't like the cold/ice, so we then sat at one of the 2-top tables around the bar. We started talking to the couple next to us. Me and the other wife were right next to each other, but the two husbands were 2 tables/apart and they had no trouble talking to each other. Maybe the music changed nightly and we caught it on a good night? I don't even remember what kind of music it was it was so unobtrusive.

The most noise at the Martini Bar that night were the people cheering when the bartenders were doing their "pour the 6 martinis at once" thing.

We only went to the Martini Bar once, and we did not find it loud at all. We started sitting at the bar, but I didn't like the cold/ice, so we then sat at one of the 2-top tables around the bar. We started talking to the couple next to us. Me and the other wife were right next to each other, but the two husbands were 2 tables/apart and they had no trouble talking to each other. Maybe the music changed nightly and we caught it on a good night? I don't even remember what kind of music it was it was so unobtrusive.

The most noise at the Martini Bar that night were the people cheering when the bartenders were doing their "pour the 6 martinis at once" thing.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with certain nights, it's certain cruises. Most of the time the music is loud, but not so loud that you can't hear anything. If you are ever there when they dial it up to those really ridiculous levels you'll know it. It's difficult to believe that anyone would possibly enjoy it.

I think we were on Summit the week before you -- ours was the last Bermuda sailing. One factor may have been that the Martini Bar was packed, every night. The bartenders were so rushed that they didn't have time to put on their usual shows -- which was disappointing, too. I think they just ramped the music up more, when it was full. Sitting at the bar, you couldn't hear the person next to you without shouting. Music that loud just gives me a headache. :eek:

I think that, on our upcoming Eclipse Cruise, we'll just spend a little more time in the Molecular Bar. :cool:

Music, like food, is very subjective. On our last two Celebrity cruises, Equinox and Eclipse, we enjoyed the the Martini Bar every night. Music was not too loud but also was not to our taste. We would prefer modern country or Real Rock and Roll (pre 1978 :)). Niether is going to happen so that is why Ipods and noise resistant headphones are a must!

Edited by Full90

Our last cruise we didn't have a problem with volume. We don't go to the Martini Bar so I don't have an opinion about their music.

Volume is very subjective, but some people are unreasonable. In a thread about the noise level on our Reflection cruise, someone actually said "music can never be too loud". Clearly, that's someone who is in the minority and should stay out of the discussion. Add to that the fact that they weren't on the ship and had no idea what they were talking about.

You've got to wonder if just as some thought the music was too loud, others thought it was too low when turned down and asked for it to be turned back up. Could be just a difference of opinion as to what is too loud.

Or, is Celebrity trying to not serve as many martini drinks because of the beverage package and loud music could be an attempt to keep crowds away from this bar? This is probably not the caes but makes you wonder...

Last year at the Marini bar on the Constellation they had a DJ banging on the electronic drums. It was deafening. Could not converse with anyone sitting next to you. To order a drink you had to point to it on the menu or write it in the frost on the bar counter.

I asked the CD about it and was told that they are trying to attract a younger crowd. I guess the way that they wanted to do that was to play it so loud that they could hear it back in Ft Lauderdale, because that crowd was not on board. There were some die yards that sat all night long at the bar so they either enjoyed it or didn't have their hearing aids on. Or they may have liked it that loud so they wouldnt have to listen to their spouse.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

We got the Classic package as our perk, but intended to upgrade to Premium onboard specifically to be able to spend lots of time at the Martini Bar as we usually do. We enjoy chatting with others there and really hope that the music won't be too loud.

By the way we both love loud music when in the disco or other dance area.

Just don't think it belongs at the Martini Bar when people are talking and enjoying each other's company.

We'll have to see how loud the music is the first night of our cruise before we spend $ upgrading to Premium.

Here we go again...when does the contract end with the loud DJ drum bangers?

no problem with it being louder in the actal bar area or upstairs club... but not good for the nice lounge area off to the side associated with the Martini bar on S class..that''s where groups get together pre or post dinner to socialize...

Loud DJ and drum also should not boom out and take over all the levels of the atrium and other grouos playing live music there..Top Notch is a good band and to drown them and others out with loudness is a shame

Becci...I'm with you if it's like that on Reflection,.,,, or Connie or Equinox...all booked!

Hope Celebrity Official passes this thread along to powers that be.,.louder does not mean younger and many new Celeb pax who are younger prefer a more sophsticated approach to Modern Elegance,,,esp in a Martini Bar setting..

I actually think the martini bar should be upbeat and I don't even mind the repetitive techno music...but at a reasonable level. The ships are really designed very poorly for acoustics and very loud music in one venue really effects the others.

Certainly agree that the martini bar should be upbeat but given the ship's design, when the music is as loud as it sounds from all the posting passengers on this thread, it indicates a problem to me.

There have been no posters yet who thought the music was at a decent level and the rest of us don't have a pony in the race, as we can't determine the level and how it impacted us. I respect those posters who were on this cruise for giving their opinions about what they, not we, experienced since it's obvious that there's those who are passionate about loud music who always take one side.

AWESOME! I hope they have loud and modern music on the summit cruise in March. So glad celebrity is doing things to attract the young, professional, and hip crowd!

Trust me...when you are actually subjected to it you probably won't like it either.

Hope you'll post again after your cruise and may hear it for yourself...but hope by then it improves!

I think we were on Summit the week before you -- ours was the last Bermuda sailing. One factor may have been that the Martini Bar was packed, every night. The bartenders were so rushed that they didn't have time to put on their usual shows -- which was disappointing, too. I think they just ramped the music up more, when it was full. Sitting at the bar, you couldn't hear the person next to you without shouting. Music that loud just gives me a headache. :eek:

I think that, on our upcoming Eclipse Cruise, we'll just spend a little more time in the Molecular Bar. :cool:

If the Martini Bar was full and the music loud is seems that those people liked it and/or were attracted to it, or the bar would be deserted. Our group likes that the Martini Bar has a "party/club" atmosphere and if we want to go somewhere and have a drink and chat we go to the Revelations Lounge which is quiet and has lovely seating or the Sunset Bar etc.

If the Martini Bar was full and the music loud is seems that those people liked it and/or were attracted to it, or the bar would be deserted. Our group likes that the Martini Bar has a "party/club" atmosphere and if we want to go somewhere and have a drink and chat we go to the Revelations Lounge which is quiet and has lovely seating or the Sunset Bar etc.

On the cruise in question the Martini bar was full the first couple of days but by day 4 had smaller crowds than I have experienced in the past. Previously we found you had to get to the martini bar before 7:15 to get a seat at the bar & by about 7:40 to get a seat at a table; earlier on formal nights. We walked passed the bar most evenings between 7:15 - 8:15 and again around 9:45 - 10:30 never saw it really full or busy.

We were on the equinox around the time that the complaints were coming in from many celebrity ships regarding volume. We had no issues whatsoever and neither did anyone else, since the martini bar was hopping every night. We were there every night. Of course, we were kind of a wild crowd! Music did not dominate the conversation though.

We didn't have the drummer either, so maybe that was the difference.

Edited by 4cats4me

It is actually for a financial cost cutting decision. If you don't have any talent you can disguise it by playing very loud so that the distortion masks it. By having one no talent playing very loud in a strategic area to fill many decks of the ship they can get by with only one noise maker. Problem solved and money saved.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅