bargain shops in fort lauderdale

poe17

Hi we are going to be staying in the beautiful area of fort Lauderdale for a few days before going on a cruise, we are in the gallery one double tree hotel, with a water taxi stop right outside, I was wandering can anyone tell me where I can go to get some bargains when going shopping pleade

Ross is one of my favorite stores.

Also very close to the Doubletree Gallery One is a mall...easy walking distance and there are lots of stores there. Something is always on sale. Also there is a CVS drugstore near the hotel(stayed there a few months ago).

http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

Edited by Marie51

You should go into the Galleria Mall. If there is a sale at Dillards or Macy's you will find the prices to be awesome compared to UK.

My favorite bargain store is TJMaxx. There is one being built right now in the Harbor Shops on SE 17th St. I'm not sure when it is opening. You can get there the cheapest by taking the Sun Trolley Beach Link from the front of Galleria Mall (stops right at Harbor Shops!), or public bus 40 from the east side of Galleria Mall. Across the street from Harbor Shops is Ross Dress for Less...Ross is a little cheaper than TJ Maxx but the styles there seem less current, and TJ Maxx carries more top brands.

Another option is to take the SunTrolley Galt Link from in front of Galleria Mall to Coral Ridge Mall. They have TJMaxx, Marshalls, Homegoods, Ross, Famous Footwear, and Target, all discount stores. The Suntrolley website does not currently have the schedule so you'd have to call 954-761-3543 to find out which days and times this route operates.

If you prefer to take taxis, these are short rides, about $10-20 each way.

Thanks for the help, will write it all down, what is a CVS store ? An what does it sell please

CVS is a drug store(called a pharmacy in some places). There you can get toiletries, sunscreen, medicine and a number of other things perhaps useful on a cruise like beach shoes, beach bags and the like.

If you really want the bargains and have the time, rent a car and head out to Swgrass Mills. It is an all day event but you can find amazing designer stuff.

Sawgrass Mills is amazing. You can get there by public transportation, bus 36, without transferring! Just cross Sunrise Blvd and look for a bus sign that says 36, and take it all the way to the mall! :) It takes about 75 minutes to get there.

Sawgrass Mills is amazing. You can get there by public transportation, bus 36, without transferring! Just cross Sunrise Blvd and look for a bus sign that says 36, and take it all the way to the mall! :) It takes about 75 minutes to get there.

Have you been to Dirt Cheap? It is an outlet on steroids located on Powerline Road, about 1/4 mile north of Commerical Blvd. OMG, you will find all sorts of clothing and housewares at super "Dirt Cheap" prices! They buy merchandise from larger retailers, mostly items that have been returned or are out of season, but the clothing still has tags on them. Good finds!

Have you been to Dirt Cheap? It is an outlet on steroids located on Powerline Road, about 1/4 mile north of Commerical Blvd. OMG, you will find all sorts of clothing and housewares at super "Dirt Cheap" prices! They buy merchandise from larger retailers, mostly items that have been returned or are out of season, but the clothing still has tags on them. Good finds!

I'll have to check it out.:)

Most CVS stores also sell soft drinks, bottled water, wine, snacks. Its knid of an all-purpose store.

Certainly an all purpose store, but priced like a convenience store (which it sort of is). They consistantly show up as the most expensive in comparison shops of the same items at say Wal Mart, Walgreens, Publix.

Great for picking up last minute or emergency stuff, I don't think of them as bargain hunting locales.

Yes....very interesting, and will go again next time I'm doing a pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you, I like the idea of the swap shop & the target at harbor mall, I think Coral ridge mall sounds good, but will be too far, we are staying around 17th. We plan to rent a car for the one day.

If you really want the bargains and have the time, rent a car and head out to Swgrass Mills. It is an all day event but you can find amazing designer stuff.

This is the 2nd largest retail outlet mall in USA (1st is Mall of America in MN) at least it was in the last 2 years. HUGE. Feet hurt just thinking about it. Really nice Cheesecake Factory Restaurant in one area. Huge WalMart and Target on sides. Big Burlington Coat Factory (and yes winter coats!! boots etc -- seems they really don't know it is south Florida). Every major retailer men and women are covered, lots of jewelry and shoes. Much of the merchandise is what I call "outlet ready" made for cheaper outlet malls but then mixed in with real bargains (Joseph Banks suits and Le Suit for women). There is also 2 or 3 stores that have fairly inexpensive but very fancy ballgowns and party dresses where half of Central America buys their Sweet 16 dresses or buyers come to stock the stores back home. My DD worked in this mall for awhile and it is not your ordinary mall at all. Enjoy if you like to shop until you drop. In 4 years I still have areas I have not looked at yet.

Thank you, I like the idea of the swap shop & the target at harbor mall, I think Coral ridge mall sounds good, but will be too far, we are staying around 17th. We plan to rent a car for the one day.

Harbor Shops is on SE 17th St and has a Payless Shoes, a consignment shop, and boutique, a grocery store, a liquor store and hardware store. TJ Maxx is opening there soon.

Target is at Coral Ridge Mall, about 6 miles from 17th St.

The Swap Shop is also 6 miles away.

We rented a car for one day also....and used Budget..picked it up at FLL and then returned it to their 17th Street location which was just down the street from our Embassy Suites hotel. Enjoy your time in Fort Lauderdale.

We rented a car for one day also....and used Budget..picked it up at FLL and then returned it to their 17th Street location which was just down the street from our Embassy Suites hotel. Enjoy your time in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you,

Has anyone rented a car after a cruise. Will the rentals pick you up at the port?

Thanks

Thank you,

Has anyone rented a car after a cruise. Will the rentals pick you up at the port?

Thanks

Yes...have used Thrifty/Dollar (they are the closest just outside the Port Everglades gate) and they as well as Budget will pick you up at PE...I personally would avoid having to go to FLL to pick up your rental if possible post-cruise...Price out your varied options to get the best deal.

Edited by Ashland

Yes...have used Thrifty/Dollar (they are the closest just outside the Port Everglades gate) and they as well as Budget will pick you up at PE...I personally would avoid having to go to FLL to pick up your rental if possible post-cruise...Price out your varied options to get the best deal.

Thank you, we don't have to be to the airport till 1pm, so wondered about renting a car or taking a post cruise tour. Don't really want to sit in the airport that many hrs, when the plane doesn't leave till around 3pm.:rolleyes: