Advice Needed: HAL Transfer from IJmuiden to Schipol

Ichiban Nekko

I have looked through review and the Ports of Call section but was not able to see any specific info about this.

We want to book our air for a cruise next year that ends in IJmuiden, Netherlands. The flight we are thinking of booking departs AMS around 11:00AM.

Have any of you used HAL transfers from IJmuiden to AMS Schipol? How long did it take? Should we consider overnighting in Amsterdam and flying home a day later?

If anyone would share their experience(s) and/or knowledge, we would be very appreciative. We will be using Frequent Flyer miles, so we want to book the air as soon as we see availability on the non-stop flight.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!:)

I looked on google maps and it calculates driving time at 20 - 30 minutes, depending on traffic. I wouldn't schedule an 11AM flight for an international destination because you should be there at least 2 hours prior to departure. This allows you time to get through security, etc. If something happens that the ship isn't cleared as quickly as it usually is, you may miss your flight or be denied boarding because you arrive at the airport too late.

I would schedule a later flight, or book a hotel and enjoy the day in Amsterdam and fly out the next day - if you can afford the time.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

For a 11:00 AM departure, you need to be at the airport at least and at the latest at 09:30 AM. Considering the distance and type of roads you need to leave ijmuiden at 09:00.

I think that HAL's bustransfer would never leave at or before that time. It is better to take a taxi. Even better is a later flight.

Remember you will be traveling during rushhour, so expect some delays on the road also. Indeed you have to be at the airport 2 -3 hours before.

Better fly either in the afternoon or the next day.

Maybe you can take a HAL shuttle to the airport, stay overnight at the airport. Frequent trains from the airport to Amsterdam makes a visit easy too.

Edited by Ine

Its quick and easy to get to the Airport, not a lot more than 30/40 mins, in Holland they are efficient...BUT they fill the bus, so you do have to wait until the stragglers get organised, and that takes time..just book your flights accordingly, with time to spare, for a stress free journey..We had a 1pm departure and it is a VERY busy Airport, so earlier flights would not be advisable..Check in/Security, is at the gate, so that is another thing that takes a bit of time, its a full security /body search, frisk of every passenger, so its a little time consuming, but efficient. It's the Dutch way..

We also booked and cancelled a trip from Imuiden because of the same problem. We have since booked a "O" trip from Southampton. HAL did themselves no favors changing this port, they might have saved a few dollars but sure made it difficult for the passengers. The nickles and dimes just continued to add up plus the headaches! When DH is ready to go home he is ready to go HOME!

What about the opposite transfer, from airport to seaport? How difficult is it? How long? If we were to take a cruise we are looking at, our plane would land before eight in the morning. Would we make a four pm sailing?

Thanks

Most likely HAL will offer a shuttle, check that and better take that.

Otherwise you will need either a cab or a combined bus, check this website for details. By putting in to zipcode of the terminal, 1976 EB 10-, you can check the rates. http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

Public transport is rather complicated, there is a bus from Marnixstraat Amsterdam, and a walk from the IJmuiden stop to the ship. Or train to Beverwijk and bus from there.

Since you arrive the same day I wouldnot do that, takes up too much time.

Thank you all for responding so quickly!! :D

We are going to take your collective advice and book our return flight for the day after disembarking. After all, the anticipation of an extra afternoon and evening in Amsterdam is a treat in itself! Another rijsttafel opportunity!! :cool:

After being spoiled by the cruiseport facilities in central Amsterdam in the past, IJmuiden will take some getting used to. However that will be the port for the ship we want with the itinerary we want, so we have to learn to deal with it.

Thanks again everyone!! :)

Is there anything to see in the port city of IJmuigen? My spelling is probably wrong? Any hotels?

D

No not really, it is mainly an industrial place with a big steel factory on the opposite of the river. There is just 1 decent hotel, maybe a bit too far to walk.

Interesting is to see ships going through the locks.

However ships docked in IJmuiden donot go through the locks, only those going/coming to and from Amsterdam.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/ijmuiden-aan-zee/ijmke/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=10&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99616101&siclientid=2493&icdv=99616101

More interesting apart from Amsterdam is Haarlem.

What about the opposite transfer, from airport to seaport? How difficult is it? How long? If we were to take a cruise we are looking at, our plane would land before eight in the morning. Would we make a four pm sailing?

Thanks

Our info from HAL for transfer from AMS to Ijmuiden (4 pm sailing) was to arrive no later than 12 Noon, so you should be fine with 8 am.

Edited by Dietemann

We also booked and cancelled a trip from Imuiden because of the same problem. We have since booked a "O" trip from Southampton. HAL did themselves no favors changing this port, they might have saved a few dollars but sure made it difficult for the passengers. The nickles and dimes just continued to add up plus the headaches! When DH is ready to go home he is ready to go HOME!

It costs $39 pp, not at all a costly exercise, trouble free, what more could you want...

No not really, it is mainly an industrial place with a big steel factory on the opposite of the river. There is just 1 decent hotel, maybe a bit too far to walk.

Interesting is to see ships going through the locks.

However ships docked in IJmuiden donot go through the locks, only those going/coming to and from Amsterdam.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/ijmuiden-aan-zee/ijmke/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=10&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99616101&siclientid=2493&icdv=99616101

More interesting apart from Amsterdam is Haarlem.

My travel plans are:

Crystal Serenity Transatlantic to Lisbon

Fly to Brussels May 17

2 nights in Brussels/Brugge

Train to Amsterdam area May 19

Board Prinsendam May 20

Does the Holiday Inn look like a good choice for me?

Thanks

Roy

My travel plans are:

Crystal Serenity Transatlantic to Lisbon

Fly to Brussels May 17

2 nights in Brussels/Brugge

Train to Amsterdam area May 19

Board Prinsendam May 20

Does the Holiday Inn look like a good choice for me?

Thanks

Roy

If you plan to take the HAL shuttle from the airport on May 20, maybe you better stay in one of the airporthotels at Schiphol. Trains from Belgium stop there too. From the airport it is easy to take one of the regular frequent trains to Amsterdam and have a look around there too, if you want to.

The hotel is IJmuiden is nice, but more or less isolated and there is little to see or do.

Edited by Ine

We sailed out of Ijmuiden in September...HAL also had a shuttle from the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Amsterdam to Ijmuiden . It was $32 per person. We did not stay at the Renaissance, but came over that morning. It was very organized and easy.

In that case indeed a night in Amsterdam in the Renaissance or another hotel close to that is also recommanded.

Having seen the Renaissance prices, a nearby hotel and the HAL shuttle sounds like a good choice.

sunsetbeachgal, did you go to the Renaissance the day before to arrange the shuttle or did you just show up that morning?

Thanks

Roy

Having seen the Renaissance prices, a nearby hotel and the HAL shuttle sounds like a good choice.

sunsetbeachgal, did you go to the Renaissance the day before to arrange the shuttle or did you just show up that morning?

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

You must call HAL or have your travel agent call HAL or beforehand and have it added to your reservation, and then you pay for it when you pay for your cruise. I do not think you can do it at the last minute with the hotel. It was Very easy and I think there were four bus loads of folks using the transfer on the day we traveled.

The Renaissance was not within our budget either..we stayed at a very nice little hotel, the Singel Hotel which is one of the closest hotels to the Renaissance. Maybe 100 yards or less so just a matter or walking less than a block along a sidewalk then down a small pedestrian back street that connects directly to the Renaissance. it worked out great for us, However the Singel Hotel is 3 star, so definitely not deluxe! We walked in the Remaissance and both said, "wow"!!! We found Amsterdam hotels during our dates to be very expensive!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I’d like to hear from those who have recently disembarked at Ijmuiden.

I have disembarked in Amsterdam and Rotterdam before, but never Ijmuiden. I’ve always had extremely smooth disembarkations in Amsterdam and was wondering if this would be the same for Ijmuiden.

I'm considering a HAL cruise that disembarks at 7am on a Wednesday (after departing Edinburgh/Rosyth at 1am that morning).

Could those who have recently disembarked at Ijmuiden share your experience about the disembarkation process? Anything important I need to know to not be caught off guard?

Was the time you were allowed to disembark close to the printed time in the itinerary (in this case, 7am)? Is the printed time truly the disembarkation time or the arrival time?

I know it’s a 30-45 minute journey to the airport and public transportation is not plentiful. As I read another thread, I understand it can be difficult to arrange airport transfers or to obtain taxi service without pre-arranging; I’d like to hear reports from those who’ve been successful pre-arranging independent transfers at a reasonable rate or grabbing a taxi on-site. When I called HAL, they indicated the first HAL transfer bus might not be until 8-8:30am, which is not in line with my past disembarkation experiences, and would not work with my desired flight. Is that so? Or were there HAL buses leaving closer to the 7am arrival? (At $39, HAL’s transfer is reasonable, I’m just not sure their times will work for me if they depart that late).

Sorry for all the questions, but I am limited with my flight choices. Just curious to hear a first-hand report from those who’ve done this.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

My husband and I disembarked from the Prisendam in Ijmuiden last May and took the HAL transfer to Schipol. The time of our disembarkation group was 8:30-9:00. Everyone must take a bus from the ship to the terminal at Ijmuiden. I remember only waiting a few minutes for this bus service. We only had carry-ons so did not have to look for baggage in the terminal and were able to board the bus (I think around 9:30). We waited at least 30 min for our bus to fill up before departing for the airport. The ride to Schipol was longer than I expected, over 40 min.

We had reservations for that night at the Sheraton at Schipol Airport. We got off our bus, retrieved our bags and walked about 10-15 min to the Sheraton (a little longer because we were not sure which way to go). We arrived at the Sheraton before noon.

We had friends onboard who prebooked a taxi to pick them up at 7:30 to take them to Schipol. I believe they paid around $55-$60. I just remember thinking that it was about the same amount that we were paying for our HAL transfer.

To answer your specific questions:

In our case, 7 am was the arrival time, though I saw people getting off around 7:15-7:30.

Based upon conversations with other passengers, I never heard anyone taking the HAL transfer say that they were in any disembarkation groups earlier than 8 am.

I hope this was helpful.

My husband and I disembarked from the Prisendam in Ijmuiden last May and took the HAL transfer to Schipol. . . .

I hope this was helpful.

Very, very helpful, indeed! Thank you so much, that's exactly the information I needed. Based on my other HAL cruises, I assumed that passengers could disembark pretty close to that 7am time frame, but after talking with HAL, wanted to double-check. She made it sound as if we couldn't leave the ship--even without their transfer--until close to 8am, but that just didn't sound right.

If I have an earlier flight, then the taxi would be the way to go.

Thanks again, it is much appreciated!:)

Edited by syesmar