Tipping (again)!

shot2bits

Ok, I know this has probably been covered dozens of times but here goes anyway. We are sailing next year on Eclipse, Concierge. If we have breakfast in our room, are we obliged to tip, or should we tip? If so, how much? We have prepaid gratuities. I know we Brits have a bad reputation, or some of us do, but I would really like to get it right. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by shot2bits

Ok, I know this has probably been covered dozens of times but here goes anyway. We are sailing next year on Eclipse, Concierge. If we have breakfast in our room, are we obliged to tip, or should we tip? If so, how much? We have prepaid gratuities. I know we Brits have a bad reputation, or some of us do, but I would really like to get it right. Thanks.

Room service is not covered by the prepaid gratuities that you pay. However, there is a service charge added to the bill for room service delivery. The general consensus, at least for US guests, is that a small tip is provided at the time the delivery.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

To expand, from a fellow Brit who understands where you are coming from: For "small tip" [above] read 1 or 2 dollars. We always make sure that we have plenty of US$1 notes with us. [We usually buy our FX from Travelex @ Tesco who will supply us large batches of US$1 notes if we request - I think that they are probably pleased to get rid of them - and just restock when we run low.]

It is also handy to have single dollar notes if you wish to tip bar tenders a little extra if you have a beverage package or Elite drinks vouchers. We both always carry a few around with us when we are on board.

Edited by Project_gal

....... However, there is a service charge added to the bill for room service delivery......
There is no charge for room service at all, not even a service charge, unless you choose premium items from the menu. You don't have to tip and don't feel guilty if you don't no matter what anyone says here. Personally I give $2-$5 depending on what I order.

Room service is not covered by the prepaid gratuities that you pay. However, there is a service charge added to the bill for room service delivery. The general consensus, at least for US guests, is that a small tip is provided at the time the delivery.

Never had a service charge added for room service delivery....hope this isn't something new I missed!!:eek:

We always tip a few dollars to whoever delivers a room service order....

To expand, from a fellow Brit who understands where you are coming from: For "small tip" [above] read 1 or 2 dollars. We always make sure that we have plenty of US$1 notes with us. [We usually buy our FX from Travelex @ Tesco who will supply us large batches of US$1 notes if we request - I think that they are probably pleased to get rid of them - and just restock when we run low.]

It is also handy to have single dollar notes if you wish to tip bar tenders a little extra if you have a beverage package or Elite drinks vouchers. We both always carry a few around with us when we are on board.

Thanks for that PG.

Room service is not covered by the prepaid gratuities that you pay. However, there is a service charge added to the bill for room service delivery. ...

Sorry but this is completely incorrect. There is no service charge added to room service on Celebrity unless you are purchasing one of the extra cost items in which case a 15% gratuity may be added.

Second, the standard daily gratuity charge definitely covers the room service staff. I've confirmed this twice with Celebrity via email over the years.

With that said, a lot of the cruisers on these boards do offer an extra gratuity to those delivering room service. I've seen amounts ranging from a dollar or two to $5 or more cited in posts in the past. We too often will tip a dollar or two but seldom order much.

The decision to tip extra is a personal decision and should be based on your own personal feelings about tipping and the level of service you receive. If you would prefer not to tip extra then you can at least rest assured that you have not stiffed the room service staff since they do receive some portion of the basic daily gratuity charge.

On Celebrity this extends to pretty much every situation on board. Either the staff's tips are included in the basic daily gratuity or there will be an automatic add on for gratuities such as for purchases of beverages or spa services. Again, while some choose to tip extra you do not have to worry about stiffing the staff if you do not chose to do so.

I have always given a couple of dollars to the room service delivery person, and from what I've read here, it seems likely that most cruisers do this. So to guide the OP, it's not mandatory but it is commonly done, especially if the service is prompt and on time and cheerfully provided.

On the few occasions we have ordered breakfast via room service, we have had it delivered by our room steward or his assistant. Usually they are very rapidly in and out, so if you wish to give an extra tip, have it ready.

As stated above, the room service staff is covered under the tip pool, so nothing is required.

Although we always tip a little extra, it varies. If it is room service personnel that we likely will not see again, we tip a couple bucks on the spot. If it is our steward, we let him know that we will settle up at the end of the cruise and add a couple bucks for each time he delivered as well as any extra tip we may be giving.

There are no charges for "normal" room service when departing from a US based port. I have heard that other lines do charge for room service originating out of Australia, not sure about Celebrity. For those ports tipping is discouraged or at least not mentioned.

So...to sum it up:

They may or may not be included in your prepaid gratuities.

There may or may not be a service charge added to you delivery order.

Some folks tip and some folks do not tip.

Your food may be delivered either by a room service person (see above) OR your room steward who IS included in your prepaids who you may choose to tip extra at the time of service or all at once at the end (but that's a horse of another color).

Tips can be any amount from $1 to $5 - if you so choose to tip.

I can add a few more:

Tips can be wrapped around mini chocolate bars because the crew does not have access to chocolate:confused: - so I have heard.

Tips can be folded into small origami - this is fun - money & a toy

Tips can be $1 coins - unless you are of the camp that thinks the crew will just confuse them with quarters

Tips can be $2 bills - unless you are of the camp which thinks the crew believes they are not real money

I hope that clears it up for you.;)

So...to sum it up:

They may or may not be included in your prepaid gratuities.

There may or may not be a service charge added to you delivery order.

Some folks tip and some folks do not tip.

Your food may be delivered either by a room service person (see above) OR your room steward who IS included in your prepaids who you may choose to tip extra at the time of service or all at once at the end (but that's a horse of another color).

Tips can be any amount from $1 to $5 - if you so choose to tip.

I can add a few more:

Tips can be wrapped around mini chocolate bars because the crew does not have access to chocolate:confused: - so I have heard.

Tips can be folded into small origami - this is fun - money & a toy

Tips can be $1 coins - unless you are of the camp that thinks the crew will just confuse them with quarters

Tips can be $2 bills - unless you are of the camp which thinks the crew believes they are not real money

I hope that clears it up for you.;)

:D:D: Just the ticket for my stuck in a hotel room on business travel misery - thanks! :D:D

Last cruise we tipped $2 for room service delivery and now I feel cheap if I don't do it but that's just me and in no way is it mandatory...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Don't feel cheap.

$ 2 is our standard tip for Room Service (always Breakfast)... Doesn't matter who does the Delivery... One of our Cabin Stewards or someone else

Mind you, this is the one of the very few occasions when our Stewards get an "early tip". We leave on our Daily Grats, and we Extra Tip at the end of our cruise for Extraordinary Service.

Lol, so $ 2 isn't going to be most likely the only Extra Tip the Stewards will see from us

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... If we ordered Dinner in, or Late Night Service (after Midnight) then ya I would probably tip more.

Thanks for this advice. I picked up some currency from Tesco today and got a good supply of $1 notes. I probably wouldn't have thought of asking if I hadn't just read this thread.

We always tip our cabin steward for any service performed. The amount of the tip depends on the service performed. :)

Edited by Chicago Boy