Meanwhile, on the Oasis of the Seas…. Photos in dry-dock.

Alphen

Interesting, back in my day we always shifted to shore power, cheaper and less requirements onboard. Would cause heck if that one generator went down the watch team was smaller because we could always shift if required

We also did not want to wear out our equipment. P.s. That was on aircraft carriers

Your comment about the watch team being smaller is one that always amuses me, and amazes the ex-Navy guys that I talk to about merchant ship engineering. While a cruise ship's engineering department is around 50+ people (much larger than a cargo ship's 6-8 guys), most of those are maintenance personnel. The engineering watch, those guys who are actually operating the plant and keeping the lights on for the other 4000+ people onboard consists of one engineering officer in the Engine Control Room, and two unlicensed ratings in the engine room on each 8 hour watch. So, the watch team couldn't get much smaller, except to become like a cargo ship, where everything is automated, and there is no one in the engine room at night.

Your comment about the watch team being smaller is one that always amuses me, and amazes the ex-Navy guys that I talk to about merchant ship engineering. While a cruise ship's engineering department is around 50+ people (much larger than a cargo ship's 6-8 guys), most of those are maintenance personnel. The engineering watch, those guys who are actually operating the plant and keeping the lights on for the other 4000+ people onboard consists of one engineering officer in the Engine Control Room, and two unlicensed ratings in the engine room on each 8 hour watch. So, the watch team couldn't get much smaller, except to become like a cargo ship, where everything is automated, and there is no one in the engine room at night.

Really interesting to hear the differences between Navy, merchant, and cruise operations.

Fascinating info on this thread! Thank you so much for those with experience in this who are sharing that info with the rest of us! There is so much more that goes into our vacations that we never really know about isn't there? :)

Now if only we could get some more photos!!

Great pictures! I'll admit, the second one makes me break out in a cold sweat. There's something about those tiny people standing there with a huge hunk of steel perched over head that makes me uncomfortable! :eek:

Thats why they have helmets on silly.............

Great pictures! I'll admit, the second one makes me break out in a cold sweat. There's something about those tiny people standing there with a huge hunk of steel perched over head that makes me uncomfortable! :eek:

You get used to it, to the point where you don't even think about how much the ship weighs. What does worry me is the large, heavy chunks of steel (propellers, shafts) that the yard is swinging around overhead. That and the sandblasters. I was in a drydock once when the sandblaster decided to take a closer look at the work he had just done, and aimed the blasting nozzle straight up so the dust would clear. Unfortunately, he was directly below the gangway, and the poor guy crossing over to the ship got the hide peeled off one side. Awfully painful, but not permanent, due to clothing.

It's probably the sea-water intake for the desalinization plants, the beach pool and for other misc (cooling, etc) needs.

The large opening aft of the bow thrusters is a hole that goes through the keel section to allow an "escape" path for water when the ship is using the thrusters up close to a pier.

This reduces erosion near the piers and, in the case of some piers (because of their design) actually allows the ship to dock.

Without an opening, the tremendous force of the accelerated water causes a high pressure "bubble" of water that acts as a cushion and repels the ship from the dock. The opening allows the pressure to be relieved.

(Source:RCCL & Celebrity Cruises).

The large opening aft of the bow thrusters is a hole that goes through the keel section to allow an "escape" path for water when the ship is using the thrusters up close to a pier.

This reduces erosion near the piers and, in the case of some piers (because of their design) actually allows the ship to dock.

Without an opening, the tremendous force of the accelerated water causes a high pressure "bubble" of water that acts as a cushion and repels the ship from the dock. The opening allows the pressure to be relieved.

(Source:RCCL & Celebrity Cruises).

Thank you for sharing this info. We learn something new and interesting here everday. Upon your note I went and looked back at some photos I saved of Quantum and Anthem and I can see one small opening behind the last bow thruster.

Anyone know the purpose of the cable running from the aft of the ship (just above the waterline) that runs to some location off the picture to the right?

I would guess that it is a ground connection to provide an additional "earth" point for the electrical system, much like we have a separate copper ground wire to a ground rod in our homes.

I also notice that their is an additional hull penetration that is just aft of the four forward bow thrusters. Anyone know what that opening is for?

I think what you are seeing is actually a mooring line off the back of the ship. The photo is overexposed so you might not be able to see the line travelling all the way up to the aft mooring deck, depending on your display settings. It is visible on my display though.

There will be a ground connection somewhere, but it is probably closer to midship.

Neat pictures :)

Maybe you can answer a newb's question for me....what is the purpose of the underwater projection at the front of the ship?

A common misconception is that this is only about fuel economy, but the main reason for the existence of the bulbous bow is to help cancel out the wake created by the ship. If you are familiar with waves (even sound/light waves), you will know that two equal and opposite waves will cancel each other out (phase cancellation). The bulbous bow creates a wake 180 degrees out of phase with the wake of the ship. If they were not equipped with bulbous bows these massive ships would create huge wakes and while travelling near land create absolute havoc for smaller watercraft and the shoreline. You can learn more about this on the 'Building of the Voyager' videos that are broadcast onboard the ships on RCTV. I was hoping they had this video posted on YouTube so I could link to the clip but I was unable to locate it.

It's not as scary as it looks!

dc62q8.jpg

(me under Exporer of the Seas during her 2010 drydock) :)

Edited by compuryan

Dry docks are always interesting.

Reading and seeing photos about the changes, updates, enhancements are sometimes amazing - in terms of how much gets done it 2 weeks.

Hopefully part of the Oasis refit includes testing and activation of the 03b broadband wireless service onboard. It was originally scheduled for August, so perhaps it'll happen sometime soon.

Since Allure is also in line for both dry dock (next May) and 03b...these dry dock posts and photos are all the more interesting.

What is 03b broadband wireless? We'll be on the Oasis in January and was hoping that there would be improved internet service.

Also curious how the water is pumped out of the area they are working. Is it a lock of some sort that closes around the ship and then water is pumped out? And then filled back in when the ship is ready to go back out to sea?

What is 03b broadband wireless? We'll be on the Oasis in January and was hoping that there would be improved internet service.

Also curious how the water is pumped out of the area they are working. Is it a lock of some sort that closes around the ship and then water is pumped out? And then filled back in when the ship is ready to go back out to sea?

There are two types of drydock, floating and graving. A floating drydock is what the Allure was in last year for the pod repairs. It is essentially a ship that is open at the front and back. The dock is ballasted down until the ship can be pulled over the blocks, and then the drydock's ballast tanks are pumped out and the dock rises, lifting the ship out of the water.

Allure is currently in a graving dock. This is just like a normal berth, where the ship is moved into it. Then a caisson or "door" is moved across the entrance (similar to a lock door, but not hinged), and ballasted down to sit on the bottom of the dock. Pumps then pump the water out of the drydock. Here's a link to a picture of the door of the Titanic drydock in Belfast: http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=zVnOb0vvbkonkM&tbnid=6J4X9KA6bhQwRM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freeirishphotos.com%2Frms_titanic%2Frms_titanic_dry_dock_photos.html&ei=d4kxVOTOFsWBygSB9YCABg&bvm=bv.76802529,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNEQUiytQp1OtVLS3Bp130sq52K3BQ&ust=1412618878587345

A common misconception is that this is only about fuel economy, but the main reason for the existence of the bulbous bow is to help cancel out the wake created by the ship. If you are familiar with waves (even sound/light waves), you will know that two equal and opposite waves will cancel each other out (phase cancellation). The bulbous bow creates a wake 180 degrees out of phase with the wake of the ship. If they were not equipped with bulbous bows these massive ships would create huge wakes and while travelling near land create absolute havoc for smaller watercraft and the shoreline. You can learn more about this on the 'Building of the Voyager' videos that are broadcast onboard the ships on RCTV. I was hoping they had this video posted on YouTube so I could link to the clip but I was unable to locate it.

We watched Brilliance of the Seas sail out of Boston a couple of weeks ago, and it was amazing the waves washing up on shore from the ship's wake were much smaller than those from the tiny ferry that passed by a few minutes afterwards.

I was interested to hear from a regular crew member (I think from one of the speciality restaurants?) that there would also be a fire watch for the dry dock...

I was interested to hear from a regular crew member (I think from one of the speciality restaurants?) that there would also be a fire watch for the dry dock...

During drydock, the hotel staff are frequently used for "fire watch". These are people placed at the site of cutting and welding operations with fire extinguishers. The shipyard welders tend to be concentrating on the job and don't pay attention to things around them, and the cruise line doesn't want to have to pay for more shipyard workers to provide fire watch, so they use the staff that is "unemployed" without guests. The fire watch is there to pay attention to the surrounding area and to deal with any small fires or smolders that happen from the cutting and welding. There will usually be another fire watch on the other side of the bulkhead, as welding will frequently burn the paint off the other side of the steel, so they need to watch for a fire and get to it before it spreads.

Oh, there will be more than the usual number of people in the engine room during drydock, normal engineering staff, shipyard workers, subcontractors working on engines, switchgear, etc, and hotel staff doing fire watch. The guys and gals doing fire watch are actually pretty unique, since the engine room is off limits to all crew except engineering under normal circumstances. While it's not demanding work, sitting and watching for fire for 8 hours a day, most don't like it because it's hot and dirty.

Fire watch duties for the crew extend throughout the ship, as there will be cutting, welding, or grinding going on in lots of places. The shipyard will provide fire fighting water supply to the ship (since it's no longer in the water and can't draw in sea water), but fire safety remains the ship's responsibility, even for problems arising from jobs done by the yard. The Safety Manager is a busy fellow during shipyard, and the assigned fire teams will not be doing their normal jobs but will be either doing fire watch or on standby as a fire team.

Due to the number of shipyard workers who are in the engine room, and the inability to keep track of their comings and goings, the CO2 fire suppression system is disabled during shipyard (since its release will suffocate anyone trapped in the space), so fire watch needs to be especially vigilant.

Edited by chengkp75

Thank you for the explanation.

Found this interesting video on youtube.

It's the Serenade of the Seas in drydock in 2012. Nice explanation of the under water parts which are, I believe, the same as Oasis.

Very interesting video! Thank you so much for sharing the link. I really learned a lot, especially about the propulsion system!

Melissa