price increase

fasted

Great for you, but I would say it is a stretch at best to say that one example "proves it pays to book early." Did my $349/person for a week-long Alaska cruise booked 2 weeks before departure "prove" it pays to book late?? :confused:

Edited by frugaltravel

Great for you, but I would say it is a stretch at best to say that one example "proves it pays to book early." Did my $349/person for a week-long Alaska cruise booked 2 weeks before departure "prove" it pays to book late?? :confused:

Not necessarily, but given the many postings on this board, and elsewhere, there are far more instances of booking early and saving than booking last-minute and saving.

I’m not familiar with the pricing structure of cruise tours but lines frequently reduce Alaska cruise only prices 2 weeks out. Since most people can’t do a last minute trip there wouldn’t be many posts regarding the savings on that end. I will admit that when I’m looking I’m searching for those price drops and not price increases so maybe there are as many or more that go up. If a person was very flexible with travel dates if would be better to wait although the airfare might be extreme.

We waited it out last year and got a good deal on the first leg of a b2b and didn’t have to fly since it departed and returned Whittier. Would have been more expensive had we booked early.

To be fair .... you didn't have to pay the cost of last minute airfare in order to meet that cruise. Booking a flight from NewYork at the last minute could eat up any savings from the cruise.

BUT HAVING SAID THAT .... for the last several years Princess has had cruises out of Whittier for $349/$399 during June and July. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cheap flight to Anchorage with the idea of catching a cruise to Vancouver for under $400. I think it would be a very safe bet.

We have to book early, often 18 months out, in order to secure an accessible cabin which Dudette needs. However, if we were prepared to accept any cabin and were flexible about dates then there is no question the better deals for Alaska are made by those who wait. As an example this past September there were 7 day HAL cruises for $500 taxes and port charges included. In our case we watch for price drops and our TA gets them for us.

OP - that's just not necessarily true. Booked an Alaska cruise this year on a Wednesday and sailed on Sunday. Paid under $800 total for two people and used FF points to "purchase" airfare for $5 each. Ended up with a fantastic cabin.

You just never know when it's going to be cheaper to book.

Not necessarily, but given the many postings on this board, and elsewhere, there are far more instances of booking early and saving than booking last-minute and saving.

Fare more instances, not because it is true but because more people on the board book early than late. That doesn't mean it is always cheaper.

To be fair .... you didn't have to pay the cost of last minute airfare in order to meet that cruise. Booking a flight from NewYork at the last minute could eat up any savings from the cruise.

Of course one has to look at the total cost. One could also use Budget Queen's successful strategy over the past few years of booking flights without booking a cruise, then waiting until the last minute to book the cruise. This is probably the best example of last-minute being cheaper than booking way in advance (otherwise why would she continue to do this?).

In any case, as 6rugrats shows, it is easy to get FF miles for flights (even without flying to accumulate them).

Of course one has to look at the total cost. One could also use Budget Queen's successful strategy over the past few years of booking flights without booking a cruise, then waiting until the last minute to book the cruise. This is probably the best example of last-minute being cheaper than booking way in advance (otherwise why would she continue to do this?).

We actually did this for a Baltic cruise last May. We narrowed things down to 3 different cruises and then booked our air around those and then jumped on one when the prices came down on one of them. The price dropped significantly 3 weeks out.

Edited by Glaciers

Fare more instances, not because it is true but because more people on the board book early than late. That doesn't mean it is always cheaper.

In any case, as 6rugrats shows, it is easy to get FF miles for flights (even without flying to accumulate them).

I have in the past booked air months in advance through FF miles and waited until the price went down. There were 2 ships that I knew I could get on with my dates for air and it worked out 2 years in a row for doing this. For me, either ship would have worked out for me so it worked out great.

I believe BQ has airline ties (husband worked for airline?) and may be able to fly free or reduced. That definitely helps.

I personally prefer to book late as opposed to early. I have gotten some incredible deals booking late!

Edited by Coral

I believe BQ has airline ties (husband worked for airline?) and may be able to fly free or reduced. That definitely helps.

True about BQ, but you definitely don't need airline ties to make this work (book flights early and wait for a great cruise fare).

I personally prefer to book late as opposed to early. I have gotten some incredible deals booking late!

That can't be. It was stated above that more people post about booking early and saving a bundle, so that must be the best, right? :):)

Which was the 2nd paragraph of my post .....

<<<< BUT HAVING SAID THAT .... for the last several years Princess has had cruises out of Whittier for $349/$399 during June and July. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cheap flight to Anchorage with the idea of catching a cruise to Vancouver for under $400. I think it would be a very safe bet.>>>

If I remember correctly, the price is $399 but $349 if you had cruised Princess previously. This had been offered for at least the last 5 yrs.

That can't be. It was stated above that more people post about booking early and saving a bundle, so that must be the best, right? :):)

Yea Right!!! :) The most expensive Alaskan cruise I did was 2 years ago and was arranged at least a year in advance. I was bringing my mom who actually cares what cabins she gets and likes things large. So I had reserved E731 for 2 weeks at the end of May. I later added the LA to Vancouver leg and was able to get the same cabin for that leg at the last minute (had booked a cabin a few doors down in the mean time until the cabin opened up).

So booking in advance, during non-peak time on the Sapphire Princess turned out to be my most expensive cruise, ever.

I will take last minute bookings to early bookings 100x over! I had previously sailed in outside cabins for $300 per person.

I think with Princess (not sure the other lines), is that I saw the price go up also but the people who see the price go down are those who are not booked on the ship. I have no doubt there was some very cheap cabin on our sailings but I didn't see it as I was already booked on the ship so I just saw prices go up.

Due to a variety of reasons, I was not able to book last minute on this cruise and it had to be arranged in advance.

Edited by Coral

I do advocate- for those who do late book- consider booking flights- if paying- when rates are good for you and with a block of time in mind. You do need to be flexible and I suggest you have at least 3 cruises available to pick up the last minute bargain. :)

I do not pay to fly, and correct, my husband is a retired airline employee.

As an example I picked up 6 price dumped Alaska cruises this year. I did, also have one booked in advance, that was my preference. I spent 10 weeks in Alaska this year, 7 cruises. Now, I know, this is not typical for most people, but is an example on the late deals available. This year, contrary to prior years, Princess wasn't in the mix for me, with NCL the winner. :) So, my suggestion to be very flexible can pay off. Key is to KNOW yourself and what is going to be right for you. Then go and enjoy Alaska. :)