Take an upsell from SB deck 5 aft-wrap to Penthouse?

DaveOKC

Just got an upsell offer from HAL to upgrade from my deck 5 aft-wrap (with a huge balcony) to the Penthouse for $1100 per person. We are on an 11 day, Panama Canal partial transit, to/from Fort Lauderdale.

Any advice? I would love to try the Penthouse, but on the other hand I am really looking forward to the great aft-wrap cabin for the Canal. What a great problem to have!

Just got an upsell offer from HAL to upgrade from my deck 5 aft-wrap (with a huge balcony) to the Penthouse for $1100 per person. We are on an 11 day, Panama Canal partial transit, to/from Fort Lauderdale.

Any advice? I would love to try the Penthouse, but on the other hand I am really looking forward to the great aft-wrap cabin for the Canal. What a great problem to have!

Well, if I was Kazu, I would take it in a heartbeat!:D

I'm guessing there are two of you. IMO your decision should be predicated on:

*how you feel about shelling over an extra $2200.00.

*how you feel about giving up that wrap-around aft balcony.

Edited by Chelly

What a delightful question!

With a PH, what will you do with the extra space? A separate dining area: how would you plan to use that? A pantry: how would that be used? A private Hot tub on deck: wonderful, if you will use it.

On such an itinerary that you have planned, would the aft-wrap deck provide more pleasure than the PH amenities?

You will enjoy whatever you decide, I am sure!

I'd NEVER upgrade from a corner aft, no matter what.

Having been in both, I would mostly agree with this. The Penthouses are very nice, but for 2 people it seems like overkill to us. We booked a Penthouse on one cruise because we were cruising with 6 others from my wife's practice who were our guests and we thought it would be good for entertaining, and it was. But for just us, the aft corners are our suite spot.

So, It really depends on your cruise situation. And, of course, your financial situation. If you can afford it and you want it, go for it. YOLO, you know. ;)

Edited by jaguarstyper

Hey, I paid that much to go from an ss to an SA on my last 14 datpy Panama cruise. When I got my upsell to go to the ph from a neptune wrap I hesitated until I was persuaded. It was just me and yes it was overkill but so what. I'll always remember it. If you are going to take it don't wait to long. The decision may be made for you. I got the offer after their offices had closed. I was on the horn the first thing the next day.

We were fortunate to get up sells from our aft wrap cabins on B2B cruises two years ago. On our four day, the cost was $400 PP. On the 7-day, the cost was $800 PP. We wanted to experience the PS, after six straight cruises in aft wrap cabins.

However, it is dangerous! We booked the PS for our last cruise in May, and for the next two cruises in May 2016. However, we are staying in the aft wrap on our Caribbean cruise in January 2015.

We absolutely love the aft wrap cabins, but there is no comparison to a PS.

Whatever your choice, I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Usually the offers of up sells to the PS do not last long.

You may have been thinking about it too long.

If you want it, you should act fast as the offers go out to a number of people.

He would says Yes first, gets it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. :)

You may have been thinking about it too long.

If you want it, you should act fast as the offers go out to a number of people.

He would says Yes first, gets it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. :)

Thanks for all the great advice. I always wanted to do a deck 5 aft-wrap in the Canal, so I think I will stand pat. If I had others traveling with the two of us, I might have gone for the PS.

As you stated, it likely is gone now anyway, but I did want to get this board's advice to be sure I was making the right decision. As I said, it is a great choice to have!

Thanks again.

DaveOKC

If you want outdoor space for yourself or entertaining purposes, keep what you have

If outdoor space is less important (by the way it's STILL a HUGE balcony) but you'd like a considerable amount of indoor space for yourself and/or entertaining purposes then I would take it in a heartbeat!

I booked the penthouse a few years ago on Eurodam and there was a group of 12 of us spread all over the ship. Best experience ever!

But I would never consider it if it were just the 2 of us traveling

Thanks for all the great advice. I always wanted to do a deck 5 aft-wrap in the Canal, so I think I will stand pat. If I had others traveling with the two of us, I might have gone for the PS.

As you stated, it likely is gone now anyway, but I did want to get this board's advice to be sure I was making the right decision. As I said, it is a great choice to have!

Thanks again.

DaveOKC

Dave - I feel you were right to keep your aft wrap. Enjoy! Have a great cruise.:)

Booked a cruise on the NCL Epic on May 6, 2015 from Rome... Getting in a couple days ahead .. Always looking for tours in the ports that are local... Reasonably priced... Cruised many times... And found non cruise line sponsored tours better... When recommended from fellow cruisers... Ports... Barcelona, Cannes... Florence

Dave,

I was offered an up sell to the PH as well. As you may recall, we are below you in an aft wrap. We decided the added price was too much because we wouldn't use all the amenities. I think the view thru the canal is going to be really great where we are. My one concern is the ship motion. Anyone have any comments?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dave,

I was offered an up sell to the PH as well. As you may recall, we are below you in an aft wrap. We decided the added price was too much because we wouldn't use all the amenities. I think the view thru the canal is going to be really great where we are. My one concern is the ship motion. Anyone have any comments?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think someone took it, as it is no longer listed on the website.

There is more motion in the aft cabins, but unless the weather is really bad, I doubt you will notice it. We were in your cabin on the Eurodam and it was windy and choppy enough that we missed two ports (Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk), but we never really noticed that much movement in our cabin.

Interesting that you came to the same conclusion about the PS as I did.

See you onboard!

Dave

I think someone took it, as it is no longer listed on the website.

There is more motion in the aft cabins, but unless the weather is really bad, I doubt you will notice it. We were in your cabin on the Eurodam and it was windy and choppy enough that we missed two ports (Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk), but we never really noticed that much movement in our cabin.

Interesting that you came to the same conclusion about the PS as I did.

See you onboard!

Dave

Sometimes the Penthouse is not listed on the Website even if it or they are available. If you have changed your mind, call HAL