Royal gave my refund to my sister????

I was always under the impression that they can do a refund to the old card number and your credit card company will realize that the number changed. Try calling back and canceling without mentioning that you have a new card and see if the cc company applies it correctly.

Correct. My last refund was a little over a year ago. My card had been compromised and I received a new one with a new number. Resolutions wanted the old number that I booked with and not the new. I received the full refund in three increments to my account despite the credit card number change.

I told her we can just use it towards the deposit for another cruise, but sorry it won't be RCCL...she was not pleased with having to stand and wait at the bar to get her drinks on the pool deck, I questioned about staff going around taking orders she said there were none. I was not impressed with my RCCL cruise last year on Freedom with my mom, but I thought I'd give RCCL another chance...well they've pissed me off and I wasn't even on the cruise.

I understand your frustration but you have to realize they credited back the card that made final payment. That's their policy apparently, you didn't ask and they didn't tell. Your TA should have known and informed you or brought it up so it was clear, isn't that what TA are for? It's an unfortunate thing that happened but luckily it's not that big of deal in this case.

Is complaining about having to visit a bar in order to get a drink a valid complaint? I don't recall them saying the entire pool deck was a full service bar with waiters to handle the 500+ people out there. I've never NOT seen waiters running drinks to people on the pool deck.

If you're so easily "pissed off" by little things like this I have a feeling you're going to run out of cruise lines to "run to" sooner than later. No one is perfect and sooner or later you'll find fault in all of them over something. Either way, hope you can resolve the money thing and enjoy whatever cruise you plan next.

Edited by thegima

Not buying that rationale, not an acceptable customer service policy. Once there was two cards possible they should have contacted me as the 1. Lead passenger 2. the cancelled passenger 3. evidence I paid $200 4. C&A member to ask where the refund should be sent.

I think 2 may have some merit. The other 3 are irrelevant.

:mad:

I was booked to cruise with my 2 sisters on Vision Sept 11-15. I booked the cruise, I used a future cruise booking and paid the remainder of the deposit...total $300 ...$100 future credit and $200 on my Visa bank card.

My sister made final payment on her credit card.

I was unable to go on the cruise. No insurance, that is not my complaint. I had prepaid gratuities, so I am entitled to receive the pre-paid gratuities and taxes/fees back. I never heard anything from RCCL and figured it might just take time. Well I finally decided to call the big box store travel department to inquire, and it turns out my $150 refund was put back on my sister's credit card. I asked why??? When I was the lead name on the booking and my card should be on record as one used? OR at least contact ME to ask since the card it was placed back on was not the in the name of the person who cancelled? Yes, she is my sister but that credit when back on her credit card, where it would be cash back in my bank account, who's to say she has cash on hand to give me? What if two passengers aren't sisters? What if the reason didn't go was because we had a huge fight? (not the case, I actually missed to fly to LA and be taped for a TV show) Why is RCCL putting the responsibility of getting refund on the passengers?

Just got off phone and the big box TA was told by RCCL that they just automatically refund the card that had the higher amount paid. Really??? My $200 was more than the refunded $150. They can't reverse the credit to her and issue it to me because they'd need her permission to charge her credit card...lol...really but you didn't get my permission to give her my $?

In my opinion when RCCL sees there are 2 credit cards on the account and my name wasn't on one and not the other, and I am the cancelled passenger it should refund to my card. Ok so maybe they don't see the names on cards...they still see there are TWO cards on file so take a moment to ask which one should be credited.

So.........Inquiring minds want to see what this is about (obviously if you're willing to share).......Dancing With The Stars ??? :)

I'm confused. If two difference credit cards were used why is she mad at RCL? Did the OP tell RCL which card to credit? If not - RCL does not read minds (not that I know if anyway). Why can't the OP just have her sis write her a check? I think there's a simple solution to a non-problem.

My payment wasn't minor my payment covered my portion including tips but for $25 with the $100 future cruise...it was a very good rate. And really since when does the passenger who is lead and made the arrangements with their big box membership not pay anything??? They might or might not have...if RCCL doesn't know then ASK.

What you are saying doesn´t make sense. Your "big box Membership" has nothing to do with it at all. You made the deposit, your sister the final payment. What you actually paid for the cruise is between your sister and you not RCI.

I frequently make all travel Arrangements for myself and a Family member and then use the Family members credit Card to pay the cruise. If I give that Family member the Money for my cruise or if they invite me is non of RCI´s concern. Now I´m the lead passenger and I might be the one to cancel, why on earth should RCI ask ME who gets the Money back? They will refund those who paid and rightly so. Just think about it, you paid for a friends cruise with your credit card, the friend cancels and the friend gets the refund, just because they asked the friend what to do with your Money.

ETA: I know you won´t agree with me and that´s fine, you´ve made up your mind and made your decision anyway. That´s fine and I say it again Happy cruising with other lines you Chose. We will have to agree to disagree.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

Wow! Reading this as I'm set to leave on a cruise tomorrow. I guess I'll have to get my lazy --- up to get a drink. How inconsiderate of RCCL.

And like others have said DEAL direct with cruiselines and airlines, hotels and the ISSUES will be easier to solve.

As someone who works in the financial industry, I can tell you the institution that issued your credit card most certainly can link the numbers. I have had situations where I have had to work my way back through three and four different credit cards to locate requested information. It may take a day or two longer for the refund to post as someone will have to manually post it to the new account, but it can be done:D

Have your sister give you the money back, it will be much easier. This is a case that shows #1 never prepay gratuities. It is always best to hold your own money as long as you can & #2 Never use a travel agent to book a cruise unless you know they are really good

I am perplexed by this thread. The company credited back the money to the card used to make payment for that charge. What is confusing or wrong about this? I think the OP needs to step back and get some perspective. She is asking (demanding) that RCI give her someone else's money. In the eyes of RCI, her sister paid those fees (because they were charged to her credit card) and she was therefore refunded. Secondly, what if the situation was reversed, and the OP paid for the cruise and her sister cancelled - would she want the refund to hit her card, or would she be happy that it was just given to her sister while she was left having the charge still on her credit card? I know that if I was the card holder and I paid for something I would want the credit to come back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am perplexed by this thread. The company credited back the money to the card used to make payment for that charge. What is confusing or wrong about this? I think the OP needs to step back and get some perspective. She is asking (demanding) that RCI give her someone else's money. In the eyes of RCI, her sister paid those fees (because they were charged to her credit card) and she was therefore refunded. Secondly, what if the situation was reversed, and the OP paid for the cruise and her sister cancelled - would she want the refund to hit her card, or would she be happy that it was just given to her sister while she was left having the charge still on her credit card? I know that if I was the card holder and I paid for something I would want the credit to come back to me.

The OP made the initial deposit with her credit card. "I used a future cruise booking and paid the remainder of the deposit...total $300 ...$100 future credit and $200 on my Visa bank card".

She then had to cancel. Her sister made final payment with her credit card.

The OP now wants her prepaid gratuities plus taxes and fees returned because when she cancel after final payment, that is all that RCI will refund back to her. That amount she wants back is actually her money but it was credited to her sister's credit card.

Edited by cruisenfever

The OP made the initial deposit with her credit card. "I used a future cruise booking and paid the remainder of the deposit...total $300 ...$100 future credit and $200 on my Visa bank card".

She then had to cancel. Her sister made final payment with her credit card.

The OP now wants her prepaid gratuities plus taxes and fees returned because when she cancel after final payment, that is all that RCI will refund back to her. That amount she wants back is actually her money but it was credited to her sister's credit card.

But the fees that are to be refunded are gratuities and port fees, which were not paid in the initial deposit, but were paid at final payment. Therefore, they were not paid by OP, but her sister. The deposit and credits are paid to cruise fare, which was void because she cancelled so right - or am I missing something?

But the fees that are to be refunded are gratuities and port fees, which were not paid in the initial deposit, but were paid at final payment. Therefore, they were not paid by OP, but her sister. The deposit and credits are paid to cruise fare, which was void because she cancelled so right - or am I missing something?

You got it. You're not missing anything.

But, the OP paid for everyone's deposit. She lost her deposit when she canceled and she is fully aware of that fact. I believe that she now feels that her sisters need to repay her their portion of the deposits that she paid initially when she booked the cruise and that would cover her losses of the port taxes, fees and gratuities.

Edited by cruisenfever

But, the OP paid for everyone's deposit. She lost her deposit when she canceled and she is fully aware of that fact. I believe that she now feels that her sisters need to repay her their portion of the deposits that she paid initially when she booked the cruise and that would cover her losses of the port taxes, fees and gratuities.

Again it comes down to being something between the OP and her sister. It´s just not RCI´s issue.

She had not even realized it was credited back as it hasn't been a full month so she hasn't checked her statement. I told her we can just use it towards the deposit for another cruise, but sorry it won't be RCCL...she was not pleased with having to stand and wait at the bar to get her drinks on the pool deck, I questioned about staff going around taking orders she said there were none. I was not impressed with my RCCL cruise last year on Freedom with my mom, but I thought I'd give RCCL another chance...well they've pissed me off and I wasn't even on the cruise.

I think you're ready to try another cruise line. Happy sailing to you. :)