Having a beer with my Son

We will be sailing on the Allure in Jan 2016, My wife and I in a balcony state room and my Son's in an interior cabin across the hall. At the time of my crusie, my Son's will be 24 and 20 years old. Here in Wisconsin, my youngest Son can leagally drink if either my Wife or I are with him (Having a beer at a Friday night fish fry). Can I buy my Son a beer on the ship? Thanks in advance for your response.

We will be sailing on the Allure in Jan 2016, My wife and I in a balcony state room and my Son's in an interior cabin across the hall. At the time of my crusie, my Son's will be 24 and 20 years old. Here in Wisconsin, my youngest Son can leagally drink if either my Wife or I are with him (Having a beer at a Friday night fish fry). Can I buy my Son a beer on the ship? Thanks in advance for your response.

you would have to buy it and I would drink it on the balcony just to avoid any drama.

A person must be 21 years of age to consume alcohol onboard ships leaving from US ports.

You can see the policy here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

No, you need to be 21 to consume alcohol on a cruise originating from a US port. You can drink with him in port though.

I am sure some do buy for their kids but according to the cruise contract, you could be put off the ship for buying him a beer.

Might just be easier to go to Margaritaville or one of the other bars in port.:)

I thought once you were in international waters U.S. rules no longer applied? Has that changed? Our kids are adults now so it doesn't affect us but I would suggest buying the bucket of beer up by the pool and enjoying them on the privacy of your balcony. I got married at 19 and wasn't supposed to drink at my wedding either but I did!

I thought once you were in international waters U.S. rules no longer applied? Has that changed? Our kids are adults now so it doesn't affect us but I would suggest buying the bucket of beer up by the pool and enjoying them on the privacy of your balcony. I got married at 19 and wasn't supposed to drink at my wedding either but I did!

US drinking laws do not apply at sea. The minimum drinking age is imposed by RCCL and is not a law, just one of their rules.

That is what I thought but I also thought at one time the drinking age onboard was 18. When we first started cruising...back in the dark ages :) I was 18 and could go to any bar and order without my parents..who were onboard with me. I know things change and it doesn't seem out of line for it to be 21 but I can see where it would be if you were already allowed to drink in your home state. I say use your best judgment and enjoy your cruise. And, thanks again, to all you cruise critics who keep us informed.

US drinking laws do not apply at sea. The minimum drinking age is imposed by RCCL and is not a law, just one of their rules.

Exactly. Their ship, their rules - and the cruise contract you sign with them gives them the absolute right to put you off their ship if you break them. And guess what? The PP who advised you to ignore those rules will not be paying your way home if they do. Lots of opportunity to enjoy a beer with your son in port.

Hi. Hope you don't mind an observation from the UK? In 2006 we cruised with RCI out of Barcelona around W.Med. The European base for RCI is Southampton,UK where the legal (public) drinking age is a blanket 18years. I think the policy then was North American guests over 18 but under 21 years could enjoy alcohol accompanied by a responsible adult, say, whilst dining.

On board was a large cross- generational N. American group including several members in the 17-20 age -range; presumably with little,if any open social drinking experience. One evening during a show I felt the need to point out to some of the younger ones that I was being blocked from viewing the show. I was met by a tirade of protest both then and later by the young ones who were obviously 'in drink'.

So good one to the parents who show concern for the rules and please keep it private whilst in Europe till the youngsters learn to hold their drink!

I think the bartenders/ships have really tightened up on their "carding" - totally agree - a lot of people, both young and old, get carried away, especially with the AI packages now available.

Also, even in Wisconsin, the ability for the 18-20 year-olds allowed to drink with their parents, by law, is also at the discretion of the license holder of the establishment. Many establishments stick to the 21 only law.

Would do whatever you are comfortable with, but be aware of the RC rules and consequences.

The son in question is 20 yrs old , less than a year from legal drinking age . So having a drink with him will probably not even be noticed if the parent orders the drink and they are discrete .

Its not like OP will be sitting there with a 10 year old sipping a martini.

But like others have said to avoid the drama , order the drink, or bucket of beer and enjoy on your balcony, or in port where it isn't even an issue.

Heck depending on where you are going, Take the sons to Carlos and Charlies , or Senor Frogs and have a blast. *LOL*

Here in Canada legal drinking age is 19. Legally am I able to give a 19 yr old a drink on the cruise? No.. they are under 21!

Are you able to give your son one of your beers in your own stateroom while sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by... ;) no one will know if you did or not but you! Enjoy your family cruise together!!

Edited by vacation_junkie

Just from the few cruises ive been on it seems like if your son keeps a low profile and doesn't introduce himself to bartenders and wear a sign that says " only 20", i can't imagine how that would be noticed . Im not trying to go against the grain or be negative or promising that you won't get kicked off. Nor am i offering to pay [emoji6] . This is just my realistic observation. If your son gets noticeably drunk for any reason that could be a problem. Having a beer or 2 with him, I think is your business. Dude is 20. Im sure he has had more elsewhere[emoji1]

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

I agree that if you want to buy some beers to have with your son on your balcany, go for it. On our last cruise we met a couple at the Dog and Badger that was openly buying their underage son beers. It lasted a couple of days until someone noticed and told them they needed to stop. They are not going to kick you off the ship as some want to suggest.

My grandson was on a cruise with his family and was able to find some "friends" who made sure he got drunk and somehow made it back to his cabin at 3 AM. He was 19 at the time. My daughter and son-in-law were livid. He has not cruised with them since. :mad:

Bottom line.....Make sure you know where your kids are, who they are with, and what they're doing! Luckily, most young people are pretty responsible. :)

My grandson was on a cruise with his family and was able to find some "friends" who made sure he got drunk and somehow made it back to his cabin at 3 AM. He was 19 at the time. My daughter and son-in-law were livid. He has not cruised with them since. :mad:

Bottom line.....Make sure you know where your kids are, who they are with, and what they're doing! Luckily, most young people are pretty responsible. :)

I used to come home at 3am a lot too when I was 19 and 20 . Of course I worked in a bar at the time (granted many years ago when 18 was THE age)

legally according to ship regs no, you may not provide alcohol to the younger son at all and if he is caught consuming it ANYWHERE he is subject to being kicked off( as is the person who provided it)

do with that information what you will. you are not in Wisconsin.

that was never the case. on all ships departing a US port the US drinking age is in effect at all times on board. ( shore is a different story, you are only subject to the local drinking age while in port)

Here in Canada legal drinking age is 19. Legally am I able to give a 19 yr old a drink on the cruise? No.. they are under 21!

Are you able to give your son one of your beers in your own stateroom while sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by... ;) no one will know if you did or not but you! Enjoy your family cruise together!!

The legal drinking age here in Alberta is 18 and I think it is in other provinces as well. I can't see why you can't give a 20 year old a beer on your balcony. I'll never understand how it's alright to send an 18 year old off to war but you have to supervise your 19 year old "kid" on a cruise ship. :confused:

On a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, the legal drinking age is 21.

If your son were to get caught drinking underage and he named you as the person who provided alcohol, then you would get in more trouble than he would, and I am not certain how much trouble that is. Now, if your son were to get caught drinking underage and he refused to name the person who provided, they would hold him in "cruise jail" (by guest relations) until his parent or guardian came to get him. They would then give both of you a little speech about underage drinking and warn you that if he were to get caught again, you would both be debarked at the next port of call (so obviously, it's better to get caught drinking at the end of the cruise, rather than the beginning).

Royal Caribbean is one of the stricter cruise lines on underage drinking. Other lines like Princess, Disney, and Norwegian aren't nearly as uptight about it.

Also, if you were to cruise Norwegian, NCL has beer & wine waivers that parents may complete so that young adults 18-20 may consume beer & wine with their parents' consent. That is the only cruise line sailing out of the US that I know to do that.

On a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, the legal drinking age is 21.

If your son were to get caught drinking underage and he named you as the person who provided alcohol, then you would get in more trouble than he would, and I am not certain how much trouble that is. Now, if your son were to get caught drinking underage and he refused to name the person who provided, they would hold him in "cruise jail" (by guest relations) until his parent or guardian came to get him. They would then give both of you a little speech about underage drinking and warn you that if he were to get caught again, you would both be debarked at the next port of call (so obviously, it's better to get pcaught drinking at the end of the cruise, rather than the beginning.

Is this a personal experience or are you just guessing? Exactly how do you know this to be fact?

Speaking from personal experience with our grandson who was only 20 at the time. We found RCI to be very strict about enforcement. We were questioned several times by security about what our grandson was drinking. He drank coke, but they were looking to see if alcohol was added. Easy to check by looking at our bar receipts. They even questioned us on formal night when he was in his US Army dress uniform. However, in the dining room, all the wait staff, including the head waiter had no hesitation in offering him wine.

Is this a personal experience or are you just guessing? Exactly how do you know this to be fact?

Speaking from personal experience with our grandson who was only 20 at the time. We found RCI to be very strict about enforcement. We were questioned several times by security about what our grandson was drinking. He drank coke, but they were looking to see if alcohol was added. Easy to check by looking at our bar receipts. They even questioned us on formal night when he was in his US Army dress uniform. However, in the dining room, all the wait staff, including the head waiter had no hesitation in offering him wine.

I'm confused... did the dining staff serve your underage grandson wine?

Edited by LittleMissMagic