tipping butler

JUSRN

I tip once at the end unless I order something like gourmet coffee drinks from Java Cafe or something from the bar and then I add a little to that service , usually rounding the 15% auto gratuity up to 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When cruising, tipping is done on the last evening.

I do both.. a tip at the beginning of the cruise and say "here's a little something in advance" (remember - TIPS is an acronym for "to insure propmpt service") and tell the butler that I'll also take care of him also at the end. We have never had to ask for anything or when we did ask, all requests were acted upon very quickly.

I do both.. a tip at the beginning of the cruise and say "here's a little something in advance" (remember - TIPS is an acronym for "to insure propmpt service") and tell the butler that I'll also take care of him also at the end. We have never had to ask for anything or when we did ask, all requests were acted upon very quickly.

If you don't mind me asking how much do you usually tip in the beginning and how much do you usually tip at the end? Also for how many people

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did something similar, after reading LOTS on CruiseCritic about tipping.

(This was DH's first cruise, and my first on NCL, after having not cruised at all for a while.)

We also used the suggestion to give a letter to the Butler (some examples are posted on CC) to help him/her understand what we were likely to want, or not want.

When we handed the letter to the Butler at our first meeting, we also handed an early tip, with a comment along the lines of how we appreciated everything he'd be doing to help make our trip special.

(We made no mention of future tips.)

He clearly was trying very hard, and noticed what we enjoyed in snacks, and more of them appeared :)

Other requests were taken care of promptly.

One thing we learned: When we left a note rather than making a verbal request, there was less chance for any misunderstanding. This was for both Butler and steward.

On our upcoming cruise, we'll do more of that, and if passing in the hall, rather than making a request (who knows how many other passengers are doing the same thing in a small amount of time?), we'll probably mention we left a note in our suite.

The only thing our Butler simply could not assist with was getting us "Coca Cola" products, due to no fault of his own of course. NCL is a "Pepsi products only" facility, and I'm sure glad we read about that before boarding, to put it mildly.

I hate Pepsi.

So we brought along a big duffle of Diet Coke, and picked up a few more on shore one day.

And of course, we handed him an envelope with the full tip, and a thank you note, at the end of the cruise.

Ditto the Concierge (less; we didn't ask much there), and something extra for the steward, even though he also was in the regular tipping pool.

We also tried to tip a bit at the restaurants, for good service (which was almost all of the time, even before we tipped someone).

Let's face it, we live a rather privileged life compared with most others on this small planet, and the people who are helping us (7 days per week) are away from friends and loved ones for very long periods of time, in addition to often working to help support those family members, etc.

GeezerCouple

If you don't mind me asking how much do you usually tip in the beginning and how much do you usually tip at the end? Also for how many people

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Travel Joe and Geezer Couple....

I am also curious about how much to tip in the beginning and the end.

I am thinking of $100 in the beginning and another $100 - $200 (depending on how much I use the butler) at the end on my upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

Is that appropriate?

Thanks.

Don

Do I tip the butler every time he brings something or just at the end of the cruise?

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago for the final Alaska cruise of the season. We had an awesome butler... My wife and I discussed this very thing, but chose to tip him at the end of the cruise. We also brought him a small gift from our hometown and put that together with some cash in a card.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Enjoy your cruise and the service that a butler will give you.

No, it's not or it would be TEPS.

insure:

1. to guarantee against loss or harm.

2. to secure indemnity to or on, in case of loss, damage, or death.

3. to issue or procure an insurance policy on or for.

ensure:

1. to secure or guarantee

2. to make sure or certain

insure:

ensure:

Sorry -- I'm still going with my "I" under the definition of "1. to guarantee against loss or harm. " An unhappy butler or waiter/waitress can cause some major harm to you when they do whatever to your food if they don't like you :)

Sorry -- I'm still going with my "I" under the definition of "1. to guarantee against loss or harm. " An unhappy butler or waiter/waitress can cause some major harm to you when they do whatever to your food if they don't like you :)

But you tip AFTER the meal. :confused: Sorry, still incorrect.

We did something similar, after reading LOTS on CruiseCritic about tipping.

(This was DH's first cruise, and my first on NCL, after having not cruised at all for a while.)

We also used the suggestion to give a letter to the Butler (some examples are posted on CC) to help him/her understand what we were likely to want, or not want.

When we handed the letter to the Butler at our first meeting, we also handed an early tip, with a comment along the lines of how we appreciated everything he'd be doing to help make our trip special.

(We made no mention of future tips.)

He clearly was trying very hard, and noticed what we enjoyed in snacks, and more of them appeared :)

Other requests were taken care of promptly.

One thing we learned: When we left a note rather than making a verbal request, there was less chance for any misunderstanding. This was for both Butler and steward.

On our upcoming cruise, we'll do more of that, and if passing in the hall, rather than making a request (who knows how many other passengers are doing the same thing in a small amount of time?), we'll probably mention we left a note in our suite.

The only thing our Butler simply could not assist with was getting us "Coca Cola" products, due to no fault of his own of course. NCL is a "Pepsi products only" facility, and I'm sure glad we read about that before boarding, to put it mildly.

I hate Pepsi.

So we brought along a big duffle of Diet Coke, and picked up a few more on shore one day.

And of course, we handed him an envelope with the full tip, and a thank you note, at the end of the cruise.

Ditto the Concierge (less; we didn't ask much there), and something extra for the steward, even though he also was in the regular tipping pool.

We also tried to tip a bit at the restaurants, for good service (which was almost all of the time, even before we tipped someone).

Let's face it, we live a rather privileged life compared with most others on this small planet, and the people who are helping us (7 days per week) are away from friends and loved ones for very long periods of time, in addition to often working to help support those family members, etc.

GeezerCouple

This is a great post with great advice - we will be on the Star in December in a Suite. We have used the butler before on the Gem, and tipped at the end but really like the idea of a upfront tip (and an end of trip tip) along with a letter.

I have tried to search CC for examples of these letters using "butler tipping letter", "butler letter", etc but have come up cold. Any insight on what to write in this introductory letter or where specifically to find them on CC?

Hi Travel Joe and Geezer Couple....

I am also curious about how much to tip in the beginning and the end.

I am thinking of $100 in the beginning and another $100 - $200 (depending on how much I use the butler) at the end on my upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

Is that appropriate?

Thanks.

Don

When you give money in the beginning it's a bribe, not a tip. I don't understand the rationale of giving someone money when they haven't earned it yet. But, that's just my opinion.

When you give money in the beginning it's a bribe, not a tip. I don't understand the rationale of giving someone money when they haven't earned it yet. But, that's just my opinion.

I don't think its a bribe. I think its more of a good faith gesture. But like you...that is MY opinion :-)

I would never tip before service is rendered, what if that service is bad. I don't use the butler so I don't tip them. I tell them upfront I don't want food brought to my cabin ever. I prefer to unpack my luggage and put things where I can find them. I don't like extra people in my cabin other then the cabin steward twice a day. I like the suite for the extra space and large bathroom and breakfast & lunch at Cagneys. That's the way I want to cruise YMMV.

• 2 months later...

insure:

ensure:

Huh?

Huh?

Try this, if that didn't make sense: http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

Also, IF that TIPS acronym were true, you wouldn't give somebody a 'tip'. That would be giving them a "To insure prompt"....which is nonsensical. Yet, we don't give a person A 'tips', tips is the plural of what we give a person.

So the acronym doesn't hold-up that way either.

But what the last poster was saying, is that "insure" and "ensure" mean different things. And "insure" would be an incorrect usage in the phrase To Insure Prompt Service.... as the insinuation is that the lack of prompt service would be covered by insurance...and that a 3rd-party would then compensate you for the failure.

But 'ensure' means the same as "to make sure", which does fit in the TEPS To ensure prompt service....or to make sure that the service is prompt. So this usage would qualify....if all of the acronym itself wasn't just an invention. :)

Stephen <----- used to study languages. Sorry.

Edited by sjbdtz

I read and re-read mNy of the tipping threads prior to our summer Breakaway Haven cruise. We went to tip our butler and she politely declined and said something to the effect that if we wanted to tip to do so at the end of the cruise. We tried one more time after she said that, still the same answer so we waited until the end, which made it much more easy and convenient.

You give money to someone at the beginning to let them know that you are the boss, and you demand they do a good job for you. That if you did not give them this money now, they would not provide good service for you.

Its insulting.

JMHO.