Great Vacation Guarantee and uncomfortable hot cabins

fourkittys

Has anyone pursued this because of hot cabins (unreasonable temps not Carnival's STANDARD reply)? This has to be reported to Customer Service within the first 24 hours. Lots of complaints on CC about this but continues to happen in certain areas of certain ships. Please don't say this is SUBJECTIVE. I am referring to legitament compalints with little or no resolutin by Carnival. If I would EVER get a cabin like this I will be furious. I'd rather have food complaints than being too hot. Thank you in advance.

I feel exactly the same way you do. that's why I posted a poll. we don't hear from people whose staterooms were perfectly comfortable, so we have nothing to balance the negative feedback with. I hope to enjoy my cruise, will be prepare and will us vacation guarantee as an emergency out if stateroom isn't cool enough. will keep watching feedback and hope to be reassured.

I agree the uncomfortable rooms are unacceptable but no way would I use the guarantee and end my vacation over a hot room.

I agree with you. Wouldn't want to deal with a hot room but wouldn't let it ruin my vacation. Guess I've been lucky though, my rooms have always felt very comfortable.

I agree the uncomfortable rooms are unacceptable but no way would I use the guarantee and end my vacation over a hot room.

If you believe they are unacceptable, why would you ignore it? When you're paying for a product or service, don't you expect to be happy or satisfied with the product or service you are receiving?

If you find yourself in a situation where the temperatures are really unbearable to a point where you cannot even sleep in your stateroom, would you still decide against invoking the Great Vacation Guarantee?

I agree with you. Wouldn't want to deal with a hot room but wouldn't let it ruin my vacation. Guess I've been lucky though, my rooms have always felt very comfortable.

it wouldn't bother me either. i would go sleep by the pool or deal with it.

We have never had a problem with AC on any of our cruises

I also would classify us as liking the room very cold

I would not hesitate to get of the ship and do the guarranty thing

Vacation time is precious and I would not in any way waste that time be uncomfortable

I have checked out if hotels for not being comfortable and would do the same for a cruise

Fourkittys,

I like your question but I honestly don't know how to answer it with out the dreaded "subjective". Without temperatures included it is completely subjective, "Unbearable" and "Uncomfortable" are not standards.

For instance, I live in Georgia and my wife hates Cobb EMC (electric company), and does not like it cold. If she goes to bed after me, the thermostat will be on 80 when I wake up. So a room at 77 or 78 is going to be warm, but not unbearable or so warm that I won't be able to sleep. Don't get me wrong, if I go to bed last the thermostat will be at 70. It's a running joke at my house. I can't imagine the room being so warm that I would get off the ship. I will bring a fan from now on.

Here is my scale, Temps consistently at:

74 - 77 (or so) talk to Cabin Attendant

77 - 80 Guest Services until someone came to look at it. If not fixed then OBC.

>80 for more than one night. Complain to everyone I see with a name tag. If opportunity arises complain to officers on formal night. Be at guest service every am until fixed or relocated. Leave voice mail messages for every officer/manager the desk will connect me to, OBC OBC OBC.

Realistically that cabin would have to be pretty hot (85 or above) for me to consider leaving. That's why I think you have to allow for "subjective". I have read many threads about cabins at 77-78 and people were very uncomfortable. No reason they should be on my scale, but I don't need to be on theirs either.

If you believe they are unacceptable, why would you ignore it? When you're paying for a product or service, don't you expect to be happy or satisfied with the product or service you are receiving?

If you find yourself in a situation where the temperatures are really unbearable to a point where you cannot even sleep in your stateroom, would you still decide against invoking the Great Vacation Guarantee?

Never said I'd ignore it. But I'm 1000% sure I wouldn't take advantage of the guarantee because of it. That's just ridicules.

Never said I'd ignore it. But I'm 1000% sure I wouldn't take advantage of the guarantee because of it. That's just ridicules.

Ridiculous to you, not to all. You stated that you consider room temperatures that are unbearably higher than the "standard" temperature to be unacceptable, yet you say that you would take no action if Carnival was unable to resolve the product failure to your satisfaction, even after perhaps escalating it. To me, that seems as if you would be ignoring it all together and letting Carnival use the phrase "too bad, so sad."

Ridiculous to you, not to all. You stated that you consider room temperatures that are unbearably higher than the "standard" temperature to be unacceptable, yet you say that you would take no action if Carnival was unable to resolve the product failure to your satisfaction, even after perhaps escalating it. To me, that seems as if you would be ignoring it all together and letting Carnival use the phrase "too bad, so sad."

Ok ok if it makes you happy I'll ask for a free drink.

Ditto! I can't stand being hot; especially indoors. But I wouldn't cancel my vacation over it. Even if on Carnival's dime. Would have to make the best of it and seek some type of compensation otherwise.

Fourkittys,

I like your question but I honestly don't know how to answer it with out the dreaded "subjective". Without temperatures included it is completely subjective, "Unbearable" and "Uncomfortable" are not standards.

For instance, I live in Georgia and my wife hates Cobb EMC (electric company), and does not like it cold. If she goes to bed after me, the thermostat will be on 80 when I wake up. So a room at 77 or 78 is going to be warm, but not unbearable or so warm that I won't be able to sleep. Don't get me wrong, if I go to bed last the thermostat will be at 70. It's a running joke at my house. I can't imagine the room being so warm that I would get off the ship. I will bring a fan from now on.

>80 for more than one night. Complain to everyone I see with a name tag. If opportunity arises complain to officers on formal night. Be at guest service every am until fixed or relocated. Leave voice mail messages for every officer/manager the desk will connect me to, OBC OBC OBC.

Realistically that cabin would have to be pretty hot (85 or above) for me to consider leaving. That's why I think you have to allow for "subjective". I have read many threads about cabins at 77-78 and people were very uncomfortable. No reason they should be on my scale, but I don't need to be on theirs either.

Comfortable temps certainly are subjective, but we've always been able to adjust thermostat (or on older ships open / close the vent) to our preference...as it should be!

At your wife's temp, I'd need hospitalization. At yours, I'd be miserable. I prefer low 70s.

Ok ok if it makes you happy I'll ask for a free drink.

Sorry' date=' but you need to ask for an On Board Credit. If you settle for a free drink you are lessening my negotiations. Let's agree on a $25 minimum or call it 3 drink coupons.

Comfortable temps certainly are subjective, but we've always been able to adjust thermostat (or on older ships open / close the vent) to our preference...as it should be!

At your wife's temp, I'd need hospitalization. At yours, I'd be miserable. I prefer low 70s.

Yeah, I realized how vast comfortable can be when I saw those people that posted the temperature from their travel clocks, and quickly realized that what I might find a little warm others may find really uncomfortable.

I won't bother to bore you with the resulting inner house debate regarding summertime need for blankets on the bed. Suffice to say if you are planning on setting the thermostat to 80 you won't need a blanket.

Sorry, but you need to ask for an On Board Credit. If you settle for a free drink you are lessening my negotiations. Let's agree on a $25 minimum or call it 3 drink coupons.

Yeah, I realized how vast comfortable can be when I saw those people that posted the temperature from their travel clocks, and quickly realized that what I might find a little warm others may find really uncomfortable.

I won't bother to bore you with the resulting inner house debate regarding summertime need for blankets on the bed. Suffice to say if you are planning on setting the thermostat to 80 you won't need a blanket.

Deal! :)

Fourkittys,

>80 for more than one night. Complain to everyone I see with a name tag. If opportunity arises complain to officers on formal night. Be at guest

service every am until fixed or relocated. Leave voice mail messages for

every officer/manager the desk will connect me to, OBC OBC OBC.

Domino D,

I agree with you, SUBJECTIVE is the key word .Everyone has their own idea of their perfect temperature. Therefore Carnival should not be setting standards for the AC. The whole idea of room thermostats gives us the power to choose. (or should). Unfortunatley, Carnival is manipulating them as the AC is not doing what it was intended to do so Carnival can save $$$$$. I pay good $$ for an enjoyable cruise and being too warm is not part of what I expect. I don't think anyone is being unreasonable to ask for simple comfort at whatever level.

Thank you for your input. Very interesting. I would definatley be the last one to bed! LOL!

Domino D,

I agree with you, SUBJECTIVE is the key word .Everyone has their own idea of their perfect temperature. Therefore Carnival should not be setting standards for the AC. The whole idea of room thermostats gives us the power to choose. (or should). Unfortunatley, Carnival is manipulating them as the AC is not doing what it was intended to do so Carnival can save $$$$$. I pay good $$ for an enjoyable cruise and being too warm is not part of what I expect. I don't think anyone is being unreasonable to ask for simple comfort at whatever level.

Thank you for your input. Very interesting. I would definatley be the last one to bed! LOL!

I vehemently agree. People should be able to set their thermostat to what they find comfortable. From what I have read in some other threads I'm just not sure if it is that the thermostat is being overridden, or something else.

In any event, I liked your original question. It made me think at what point would I just pack up and go home. The reality is it would take a lot for me to do that, and I think Carnival kind of knows it. Now as I said before, I would be glad to make them as miserable as I would be. That just seems fair.

I guess in a way I should be glad my wife has been breaking me in for some of the cabins I may end up in.

Guess I've missed the threads about unbearable temps but for me it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I would be asking for consideration (at least 3 drink coupons;)). They would have to provide a fan for DW because she can't tolerate heat the way that I can (and for her it might be a deal breaker if it were too hot). We typically cruise in the spring and night time temps are usually not too high so leaving the balcony door open is of course an option.

Not sure why CCL is controlling the thermostats, they generate their own power and I can't imagine that the cost/fuel savings are that significant, but I wasn't in engineering when I was in the Navy so I'm not positive.

I may be the minority here, but Carnival's onboard guest services has always resolved our issues satisfactorily. Don't know if it's luck or just the way that we have placed our complaints, but it has always worked.

Not about temperature, but we complained about a noisy cabin (I actually used that "nice" Platinum stationery in the cabin and personally delivered a hand written, polite but firm and objective letter to guest services in the morning). :)

By that afternoon, they had found a new stateroom, sent a cabin steward with a cart to assist with the move to the new stateroom, AND posted a $25 per person OBC to our account for our trouble.

I would've not invoked a guarantee, but I would've followed the same route I took above if I ever had a stateroom that was too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I vehemently agree. People should be able to set their thermostat to what they find comfortable. From what I have read in some other threads I'm just not sure if it is that the thermostat is being overridden, or something else.

In any event, I liked your original question. It made me think at what point would I just pack up and go home. The reality is it would take a lot for me to do that, and I think Carnival kind of knows it. Now as I said before, I would be glad to make them as miserable as I would be. That just seems fair.

I guess in a way I should be glad my wife has been breaking me in for some of the cabins I may end up in.

Domino, I am with you! I am also from GA (Gwinnett) and I am like you and my hubby is like your wife! He always has a fan and I am blanketed up. TO me 80 would be fine, he would find it uncomfortable.

When we last cruised, I brought along my digital thermometer (got one for work as they liked to keep that place like an icebox!) and it never read more than 75 degrees in the room. There are ways to turn it up or down, but I think it is more like opening the vent to let more or less air in vs actually turning the thermostat down.

From what I have read, it seems the standard is something like 72-77. Pretty big range really. I agree that it would take more than a temperature to make me pack up and go home. But remember that the Vacation Guarantee has to be enforced within the first 24 hours and if you have a legitimate complaint about the temp, you would have to give them time to fix it. Not sure that the timing would work out to use it unless you did not give time to fix and then you would basically be shooting yourself in the foot by leaving the ship.

No cabins are ever cool enough for me. In the middle of the night maybe but other than that I need more circulation. We also set thermostat at lowest and sometimes it's okay sleeping. They say not to open balcony door but I need air. Once on Princess, I complained about a non opaque balcony (steel front) and they said Oh Well. Then I said and the cabin was just too hot and they said that was totally unacceptable. 25% off next cruise. I was blown away but they said we should have a comfortable environment on our trip.

Believe me, I like a cool room too, but the logistics of acting on the Vacation Guarantee would probably prevent me from using it in this situation. You have to request to use the guarantee within the first 24 hours, and then, as I read the details, you get transported home. I've always thought that meant from the next port, but is dealing with that situation less frustrating than a hot cabin? If your first port is Nassau, that might not be a big hassle, but what if you have to get home from Grand Turk, the airport is on another island and many of the flights home will probably have 2 to 3 stops depending on where you need to go.

I'm a Carnival fan, but the Vacation Guarantee has always seemed like not much more than a marketing ploy to me.

No cabins are ever cool enough for me. In the middle of the night maybe but other than that I need more circulation. We also set thermostat at lowest and sometimes it's okay sleeping. They say not to open balcony door but I need air. Once on Princess, I complained about a non opaque balcony (steel front) and they said Oh Well. Then I said and the cabin was just too hot and they said that was totally unacceptable. 25% off next cruise. I was blown away but they said we should have a comfortable environment on our trip.

Try a Fantasy class ship. You can get a hurricane going on.